The Painting Gauntlet Discussion

A monthly painting challenge open to everyone.

The Painting Gauntlet Discussion

Postby Primarch on Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:28 am

This is an idea I've had kicking around for a while now and the New Year seems like a good time to start it.

The Painting Gauntlet is a monthly painting event, which people can participate in as they see fit. So if you want to enter one month, but not the next, no problem.

Each month a painting goal will be set for anyone who enters. All you need to do to pass is to finish off the specified minis (including basing) and get a photo posted by 12 midnight on the last day of the month. Each goal will be generic, ie. not specific to any one setting or game. There is no need for the things you paint to be related, so you could do a 40K themed goal one month and then do a Malifaux themed goal for the next.

The goals will cover the essential for our games that often get overlooked in the rush to paint up the newest acquisitions. There is no minimum size of mini for the entries and no maximum either. The idea is that if you finish off all 12 months, you should be well set for playing the games you enjoy with fully painted miniatures, terrain and accessories.

Each goal will have a range of targets to try and reach. There is no cash reward or prize for doing so except for being able to say that you have done it.

So, if you feel like you need some extra motivation to get things finished off and are up for a bit of a challenge, the gauntlet has been thrown down.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Painting Gauntlet Discussion

Postby Primarch on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:59 am

As some of you may have noticed, there has been no announcement for the Gauntlet for June. I'm sorry to say that the Gauntlet won't be continuing. Now, I know everyone was super keen to take part, but I'm afraid that I won't be able to organise anything. I have been commissioned to build some terrain, so all of my potential time for the Gauntlet is going to be taken up by that for the foreseeable future.

My apologies to all of the Gauntleteers out there.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:41 am

Suggested June gauntlet: build some terrain?
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:51 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Suggested June gauntlet: build some terrain?

Well, just between you and me, I kind of got the feeling like there wasn't really all that much enthusiasm for the Gauntlet idea.
Maybe in the future when we all have more free time we can come back to it.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Primarch wrote:Well, just between you and me, I kind of got the feeling like there wasn't really all that much enthusiasm for the Gauntlet idea.

As for me, I like the idea a lot, but it just doesn't mesh well with my paint-at-my-own-pace, get-deeply-into-certain-projects painting style. :oops:
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 51 infantry, 4 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to The Gauntlet