Black Powder The fight for the crossroads

Discussion of Flames of War, Black Powder and other historical games.
ashmie
Wargod

Re: Black Powder The fight for the crossroads

Post by ashmie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I do have Romans for Field of Glory which could be used for Hail Caesar. 20mm though. Also some unpainted Persians as well of a similar scale so I won't rule out playing. If you don't mind scaling down.
We can do pointed games for Black Powder if you prefer.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:47 pm

@ashmie, I don't think points are necessary, having no lists is one of the things which makes the game more laid back and enjoyable. I think a BP points system exists in of the supplements though.
Re Hail Caesar, I'll look the rules over. I have some Celts at the back of the cupboard...they will take a fair bit of work...warlord 28mm. If we can sort the disparate scales out, maybe it can work..dwarf romans against giant celts though?
Prim kindly mentioned the idea of an game using his Romans and Celts which I would be keen to take him up on. The only downside with Hail Caesar is that I'm not hugely attracted to the Roman period, which seems to be the default theatre that people are gravitating to (hence my own celt purchase). I think dark ages/wars of the roses is more enticing, but I don't know anyone out there who is keen on having a crack at those periods.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:41 pm

Lovejoy wrote:Prim kindly mentioned the idea of an game using his Romans and Celts which I would be keen to take him up on. The only downside with Hail Caesar is that I'm not hugely attracted to the Roman period, which seems to be the default theatre that people are gravitating to (hence my own celt purchase). I think dark ages/wars of the roses is more enticing, but I don't know anyone out there who is keen on having a crack at those periods.
I have some Perrys WotR cavalry and I would love to get some infantry for that period as well. I'm also interested in dark ages (well, the Battle of Hastings, which is the end of the period really) and I think Pikey mentioned having an interest in Vikings. Oh and I'm interested in the Sengokujidai/invasion of Korea as well.

BUT, with buying a house and having a ton of other stuff to do, so all those projects could be a while in coming.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:26 am

So many options to choose from. My pike and Shotte is my priority for now so once I get those done and my Prussian extra units I can paint my Persians for Hail Caesar I reckon. I can probably manage a unit of Norman knights I have from Foundary.
It's seems like Prim has the armies ready to go for Hail Caesar, that sounds awesome. I won't be buying any more minis in the near future until I've painted my existing historicals. Perhaps I can make some serious in roads this winter. It's getting cold enough.
Perhaps we could combine our minis for Hastings or Dark Ages. Use what we have and save a bit of cash. Much like a Very British civil war that game encourages players to bring whenever minis or units they have.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Well, rooting around the cupboard I see I have stuff that could be pressed into service for hail caesar..
A box of wotr mercs, box of wotr men at arms, wotr cav, all perry plastic. Apparently that would build 80 infantry (archers and hand to hand weapons) and 12 cavalry. Enough for 3 units of some kind of infantry and a cav unit.
I also have some gripping beast vikings and saxons. Another 88 dudes in 2 boxes. Crikey. Only vaguely remember buying this stuff. Think I had a plan to play Saga. Still hope to!
Half tempted to kit bash the two periods and create something new. Those hairy viking faces get me thinking I could squeeze two little Stark and Lannister armies from that lot if I had the stamina.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:02 pm

That lot wouldn't be a bad start, but my experiences of BP so far is that the game always plays better with bigger forces on a bigger table. I'm closing in on finishing the 14th unit for my Naps, with the 15th built and undercoated and two more in boxes to follow. A question you should be asking yourself is "How many of these minis can I be bothered to build and paint?"
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Lovejoy
Legend

Post by Lovejoy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:28 am

That's a question I certainly ask myself! I have only 5 completed units, not including command for BP French, and they were probably the most gruelling to complete in terms of minis I've painted. The thought of doing more is a bit daunting. HC is going to be doubling up on that slog.

ashmie
Wargod

Post by ashmie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:15 am

For me its a question of space and time.
Space, at present we are full. Even if I build a new army from scratch I don't have boxes or room to store safely.
Time, I have maybe an hour a day if I'm disciplined about it or not tired from work/raising kids. By the time my son is asleep it can be just as relaxing to read some Lovecraft or Sci-Fi or watch Breaking Bad. An hour a day is good progress but I'm lucky if I get an hour a week right now. With this is mind I'm really proud of the armies I have put together and am content with bolstering those now and then.
Once ECW is ready I may start a new army but combining minis for a big group game would probably work easier for me for HC or Dark ages.
I'm always up for a game of anything historical though so don't hesitate to ask if you chaps want to play. These days I'm not so fussy about game or setting and its much more of a social thing, chance to chill out after work. :) :D

Spevna

Post by Spevna » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:25 pm

Lovejoy wrote: I also have some gripping beast vikings and saxons. Another 88 dudes in 2 boxes. Crikey. Only vaguely remember buying this stuff. Think I had a plan to play Saga. Still hope to!
Half tempted to kit bash the two periods and create something new. Those hairy viking faces get me thinking I could squeeze two little Stark and Lannister armies from that lot if I had the stamina.

I have all the SAGA rules somewhere. Fun looking little game. Would like to give it a try sometime. Another one to put one the back burner until the lead/plastic mountain has been reduced somewhat.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0

Return to “Historical Games”