What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby Primarch on Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm

YellowStreak wrote:Went and played some Bolt Action at the Frontline Games (http://frontline-games.com/) open day near Dallas on the weekend. The mini-tournament they had running used a 'fog-of-war' condition that meant every table had 2 special order dice in the bag (different colour to the ones the players were using) and when these 2 dice were drawn, the turn ends immediately. It really led to some interesting game play and forced some tactical decisions you wouldn't normally have to make when you're confident all your stuff will get to activate. I'd recommend giving it a try if you're playing BA.
I was also speaking to the head of Warlord in the US for a bit, and he mentioned that the next big supplement for BA will be the Korean War. He's helping write the book, so we had an interesting discussion on the differences from WW2 and the similarities (given it was only 5 years after WW2).

Did you take any pictures of the event?

I'd seen some scuttlebutt on the Warlord Forums about the Korean War. I must say I'm surprised. How will they ever be able to keep up a steady stream of German plastic box sets, while ignoring pretty much every other nation in the conflict for Korea? It'll totally mess with Warlord's business model. :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I'm not even halfway done with collecting/painting/playing WW2 yet. I guess that some folk will have an interest in the Korean War, but for me it just means less releases for WW2. I do have an interest in A Korean War, but one involving a lot less rifles & tanks and more swords & muskets. :D The only thing I know about the Korean War is that the American 4077th took part.

Sigh, I'm probably going to end up with a huge army of North Koreans, aren't I?

#edit# - On the other hand, perhaps Sarissa will produce Korean buildings suitable for a range of eras. :D
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby YellowStreak on Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Primarch wrote:Did you take any pictures of the event?

I took about 2 in the initial game and then forgot... :oops:

Primarch wrote:Sigh, I'm probably going to end up with a huge army of North Koreans, aren't I?:D

Probably! :lol:
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby The Other Dave on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:30 pm

Primarch wrote:I'd seen some scuttlebutt on the Warlord Forums about the Korean War. I must say I'm surprised. How will they ever be able to keep up a steady stream of German plastic box sets, while ignoring pretty much every other nation in the conflict for Korea? It'll totally mess with Warlord's business model. :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I'm not even halfway done with collecting/painting/playing WW2 yet. I guess that some folk will have an interest in the Korean War, but for me it just means less releases for WW2. I do have an interest in A Korean War, but one involving a lot less rifles & tanks and more swords & muskets. :D The only thing I know about the Korean War is that the American 4077th took part.

Sigh, I'm probably going to end up with a huge army of North Koreans, aren't I?

You say that as if it's a bad thing!

The other important thing to know about the Korean War is that the Americans sometimes painted their tanks with garish tiger faces:

Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Primarch on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Yep, Tiger-faced tanks are indeed a thing in the Korean War's favour.
I still have lots of WW2 minis that need some paint though. In fact, today I started painting a Panzer and some soft-skins for my Italian theatre Germans. Nothing too impressive just a thin basecoat of yellowish brown.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby YellowStreak on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 pm

The Other Dave wrote:The other important thing to know about the Korean War is that the Americans sometimes painted their tanks with garish tiger faces:

I did not know that was a thing...awesome! :lol: :lol:
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby Konrad on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:00 pm

The other important thing to know about the Korean War is that the Americans sometimes painted their tanks with garish tiger faces:

Image[/quote]

Thatz gotz sum Waaaaagh!
Last edited by Konrad on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby Konrad on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm

I finally got some paint on these Chaos Dwarf sorcerers I got from MIJ years and years ago and have been languishing in their primer and base-coats for all that time. Lovely, lovely Forgeworld sculpts. Only did a bit of kit bashing on the back-pack furnace/generators and that big, big staff. I'll use them for Frostgrave I figure. I have a whole box of Avatars of War Dwarf Berzerkes that would Chaos-ify quite nicely. I have not done a lot of painting recently, and did these guys sort of as a way to warm up for another painting job coming in a week or so.

Did some work on this guys since I took the picture. Aaaaalmost done. I like the fire-guy better though.

...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby Primarch on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:09 am

@Konrad - Awesome figures! The OSL is very cool.

I'm spending a couple of days with the in-laws, but I was able to sneak a few minis and a selection of paints into my suitcase. :D I should be able to get my Kill Team painted up as well as some minis for Bolt Action.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:33 pm

hello!

Just realised I hadnt posted pics of the minis I did for Kbear a wee bit back. Lots of fun to paint, as they were all pretty different. I believe theyre 3d printed custom minis, although you'd have to ask him more about that. Anyway, here they are - a jolly band of adventurers seven...

The halfling

The barbarian

The catman wizard

The druid (that's a great horned owl, btw. Spent a bit of time researching that, btw... :lol: )

The enchantress

the catwoman fighter

the elf

incidentally, the whip elf and the enchanty lady originally had different skin tones (they didnt quite match what the player had in mind). Out of interest, here's the originals.

and

2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby YellowStreak on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 pm

@Konrad and @MiJ very nice work as always. Those look like they might be heroforge figures? I've wondered what the quality of their 3D printing was like. @Koji can you confirm?

I did some work on painting up stuff in the 'lead & plastic pile of shame' on the weekend...

YellowStreak
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント