What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 pm

Over the last couple of days I have been painting up a warband for Mordheim. They are coming along quite nicely and I'm enjoying painting them. Fingers crossed I can get some more work in on them tonight and ready for basing. I also have some terrain to do for the game, so I need to clear some space for painting that and break out the big brushes. :D
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Progress has been slowish for me too - I'm moving along on the next three Unmade for WarCry, but life keeps interfering. :lol: On the other hand, I have pretty much everything I need painted up to play every game I'm currently interested in, so no rush!

(I have also, much too late, discovered the magic of actual brush cleaner - 500 yen for a nice big pot at Volk's - and completely reinvigorated one of my favorite brushes that had gone all splitty at the tip. Invest that 500 yen, folks!)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 48 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:00 pm
(I have also, much too late, discovered the magic of actual brush cleaner - 500 yen for a nice big pot at Volk's - and completely reinvigorated one of my favorite brushes that had gone all splitty at the tip. Invest that 500 yen, folks!)
Vallejo or another brand?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Primarch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm
The Other Dave wrote:
Staying true to Volk's theming, it's "Cute anime girl" brand! :lol:
-----

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:46 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm
Primarch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:09 pm
The Other Dave wrote:
Staying true to Volk's theming, it's "Cute anime girl" brand! :lol:
I'll have to get me some of that. I forked out for a proper Winsor Newton #7 and it split on me in a week. I think what might have done it was me painting on a hot day, rinsed it in gucky paint-water, set it aside and it dried out before I could wash it properly.

Besides screwing up brushes, the rest of my painting progress involves losing parts. I'm doing an old Bretonian Trebuchet (I always loved that figure) for a buddy, got all the bits painted and sealed and just as I'm putting it all together, discover the tiny, tiny, complicated trigger mechanism is gone. Gone, gone,gone, tore the painting area apart, dug through the trash, nope, it's gone, gone...... Found a pretty good picture of the bit and will be scratch building a replacement. There goes a weekend.......
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Jye Nicolson
Rookie

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 am

Getting a very early start on Nagoyahammer. Only Japan could make me want to actually paint minis, and only a work trip to Malaysia could give me time to actually do it ;)

Painting is time consuming and hard! But I think the combination of Contrast and Retributor on the gold bits will look good on the table in spite of my messy efforts.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Looking good! Slightly messy but completely painted will always win out over gray plastic - can't wait to see them in person.

I spent a couple evenings getting these guys together:

Nice characterful models, and (having also put together a couple WarCry warbands recently) I think I'm officially sold on easy-build models. These're even relatively complex but they went together like a dream. And, huh, the set just happens to make a perfectly legal, and in fact probably pretty effective, 99-point kill team. Suspicious!!

But no, for reals it strikes me as a very clever play in the whole "space marine heroes as a gateway drug for the plastic modelling crowd" angle. Get some cool models to paint, and when you're done, with zero extra effort you can also try out this fun game. Win/win, really. The only mis-step in this regard is making the character in the ridiculously-good-deal paint set a Malignant Plaguecaster, which - for whatever reason - doesn't have KT rules.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 pm

@Jye - Nice start on your wolves. Keep them coming!

@ToD - Yeah, those Nurgle marines look pretty cool. I haven't compared them directly, but I'm assuming that they are all new poses and not just repeats of the easy-to-build stuff from the 40K core box set.

As for myself, last night I added a layer of wash to my Mordheim band and (since I pledged for the latest Kickstarter), started looking at what I still have to do from my previous 4 Bones Kickstarters. :shock: Um... that's a lotta Bones! So, I have resolved myself to try to get as many painted as I can before Bones 5 delivers in Spring 2021. Easy, right? :?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:46 pm

Primarch wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 pm
@ToD - Yeah, those Nurgle marines look pretty cool. I haven't compared them directly, but I'm assuming that they are all new poses and not just repeats of the easy-to-build stuff from the 40K core box set.
Yeah, all the space marine heroes lines have been new, unique sculpts.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:59 am

I spent yesterday and today getting some more Reaper minis ready for the workbench. I trimmed off the mould lines and washed them in soapy water, so once they are dry I can attach bases etc. Apart from that, I got my Mordheim gang nearly completed, just some flock to go and then they'll be ready for next weekend's game.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”