What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What did you do today.

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:21 am

Last night I finished up a couple more weapons systems for my large plastic son:

(Any excuse to post pictures of my titans, really. :D)

Just the carapace-mounted lasers to go, then I'll wait till my forgeworld order comes through to do up my third reaver (which wants that carapace-mounted megabolter).

In the meanwhile, I'll finish up the plague marines and bash out some poxwalkers for them to set on the unsuspecting running dogs of the corpse emperor at December's games day.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 59 [0] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [65] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 [4] Titans, 6 [4] Knights

Jye Nicolson
Warrior

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:26 am

That's some real nice robot there.

I had some unexpected time today (got contracted back in to do my old job, but did not get my old system access, so I can do...nothing) and invested it in cooking up a colour scheme for Sisters. I want something that's easy to do with Contrast; even if I take the time to up my game with shades, drybrushing etc at some point I have this feeling there's a lot of Sisters plastic coming down the pipe soon and I'm probably going to buy it straight away like a sucker 😅

It didn't go great! I wanted to do a Third Street Saints...I mean "Apostles of the Threefold Road" theme with purples and silver, but while the purples went OK on some Cypher Lords I didn't like them at all on Pious Vorne. So I figure I might pivot to somethibg with thematic unity with my Daughters of Russ, especially if Karantu runs that campaign and they're plausibly operating together (more snow bases!)

That's...just a Space Wolf. Definitely overshooting on the thematic unity. Back to the drawing board...

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:19 am

@Jye - Just my two cents, but Wolves and Sisters don't need to look alike. Similar bases will help tie the force together enough, so don't worry too much about finding a scheme that joins them closely together. Since your Wolves are in a light grey, why not use a dark grey for the Sisters? The two colours should compliment each other yet still provide visually distinct units on the table.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Jye Nicolson
Warrior

Post by Jye Nicolson » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Those are two very good cents! I should pick up a pot of Basilicum Grey and give it a shot.

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:17 am

Since most of our tables seem to be lacking los blocking terrain and even Kill Team could always use more terrain, I've been playing around with some modular building ideas. Partially inspired by the new GW Necromunda terrain, I came up with this as a basic concept.

I'm going to have to print a prototype to see how well it stays together and how fiddly it is but if it goes well I think this could be a pretty useful base for easy to transport terrain. Once that's done I'm going to try designing fancier walls and pillars and maybe add some texture to the floors too. Maybe make a version thats stackable or a ruined version that only has 3 pillars and 2 walls.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 am

I know designing is half the fun, but TTCombat does have a big old MDF not-zone-mortalis set on sale for just about 10,000 yen right now: https://ttcombat.com/collections/just-i ... x-outbreak

And a more generic pipes-and-platforms one: https://ttcombat.com/collections/just-i ... ower-plant (which I'm actually seriously considering getting if it's still in stock when my winter bonus hits.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 59 [0] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [65] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 [4] Titans, 6 [4] Knights

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 am

MDF terrain is tempting but once you build it you usually don't want to take it apart too much, so it ends up being kinda bulky. Since MDF terrain is laser cut from flat sheets of MDF it is also limited to flat parts unlike 3d printed parts. And yeah part of the fun is designing stuff, especially since I don't have much experience or skill with aesthetic design I'd like some practice at that too. Unfortunately both 3d printed terrain and MDF aren't as easy to paint as regular plastic kits.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 am

I think building in solid cubes would take up a lot of space if pre-assembled, or be a lot of hassle to set up at the start of a game if not. Some simple walls would suffice for LoS blocking cover.
Of course, if you are going for Necromunda style terrain, that is something else altogether.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:36 am

I'm experimenting with some basic shapes for now but I agree that reducing the number of parts will help with the setup assembly. LoS blocking, elevation, providing cover, and getting in the way in general would all be useful.
Here's a version with some rudimentary doors and windows with some fancier pillars as a ruin.

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 pm

I guess I'm in?

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”