What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: What did you do today.

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks! Basically I have this wonderful super-saturated violet paint from Vallejo but hardly anything it's fitting (with my general painting style) to use it on. :lol: So some flamboyant dwarf sky pirates get to be decked out a bit.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 87 infantry
40K-iverse: 21 infantry, a whole mess of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:54 am

@TOD- a concur with masses on the purple. Those new Sky-Stunties make me think of Laputa.
I have been happily putty-ing away over the winter holidays and finally have some pics to prove it.

Warning: Mostly Naked Gorkamorka Diggas to follow. Probably not safe for work.

This is the new DiggaBoss. Inspired by the Orruk Warchanter figure. Turned into a much too complex project for me, but I learned a lot building her. Like plan ahead, plan ahead, measure, re-measure, measure again..... I still need to tidy up bits and bobs, but she is mostly complete. You see that head you gave me Prim? In the game she has an "Iron Mask" bionic upgrade that causes Fear!

This is the Headchoppa. Man, Ork heads are big.... She is a lttle too big herself, more 35 than 32mm like I intended. Measure, re-measure.....But I am pretty happy with how she turned out. She is mostly done, I might re-do some of the Ork hair, sling a water bottle under her arm the choppa arm needs some re-working where I re-pinned it.

This one will have a sniper-y looking techno shooty thing eventually. The head is about the 4th attempt. The 2nd face was just achingly beautiful, but just a little bit too big. So sad.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:00 am

@Konrad - bloody lovely work there, chief. That first one especially is looking pretty damn near perfect. All of them are far superior to anything I could do. One thing I noticed is maybe that the spinal indentation (I have no idea what that's technically called) on the one holding the orc head is a bit too far angled to the left? It seems to be pointing at her shoulder rather than the base of her skull. Other than that, though, bloomin' good show old bean.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Karantu
Warrior

Post by Karantu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:33 pm

One (working) week into 2020 and its honestly been pretty slow. My current plan for my Tau project is to get most things built first before moving on to painting. My excuse being that its a bit too cold to spray prime outside.

I still need to build the drones (I might do all the drones for the entire project together) and magnetize the Stealthsuit unit leader's arm.
This week's tally:
・3 Stealthsuits (kinda)
・10 Firewarriors
・10 Pathfinders
・1 Pirahna

I'm probably going to a be a bit busy for the rest of January but hopefully I can keep up a decent pace.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:57 pm

@Konrad - that's all fantastic work, but the necron head on the leader is just inspired.

I've mostly been slowly making progress on Warlord number 2 while chugging through my MDF kill team terrain. Also I've fallen down the rabbit hole of watching sardonic Eastern Europeans build and paint plastic models on YouTube - honestly, lots of good tips for weathering, chipping and such, even if serious plastic modelers rely a lot on enamel and oil paints (for their relatively slow drying times) the cleanup of which make them just too much of a PITA for me to use.
-----

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:59 am

Got to work on painting the Digganob. Usual Necron-y, green-y glow^-y bits to start. Still not sure how to proceed on the skin. You can see the splotches on the back and side. Going for that Warboy, covered in ashy paint sort of look. I started everything (except the head) with and orange undercoat to get the ambient desert light an do the rust in the recesses. Thinking about adding some slashes and drips of paint on the iron jaw and work it so it looks dripped and smeared over her ....upper torso.... But that might get complicated. Both to execute and just visually too busy.

...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 am

Looking even better painted! Could you walk me through how you do your rust effects?

I finished up a bit more of my MDF kill team terrain, and did some work on titan camouflage, but that's been about it lately.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Veteran

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:06 am

First minis painted for 2020, last minute procrastinated reinforcements for tomorrow (no peeking, forces of Chaos!). Glad I pushed through apathy to get them done, even if I'm not sure I'll get snow on the bases in time - almost got too lazy and changed my list to already painted models.

I thought I'd have dozens of Sisters assembled after picking up a ton of them yesterday, but I got a bit overwhelmed by the number of options and didn't get far building them 😅 They're smaller and more detailed than Primaris so more work in any case.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:22 am

Still working slowly on my warlord, but I also thought that, if I'm going to be doing WarCry demos at the games day this month, I ought to do it right and just use chaos scrubs versus chaos scrubs rather than bringing in my trusty goblins (not least because goblins are... kinda strong :oops: which isn't something I thought I'd ever say back in the WHFB days I tell you what) so I've taken this as an impetus to assemble and prime the cypher lords I got when the game launched, so I can pit them against the unmade I already have painted up.
-----

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:06 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:14 am
Looking even better painted! Could you walk me through how you do your rust effects?

I finished up a bit more of my MDF kill team terrain, and did some work on titan camouflage, but that's been about it lately.
Based everything orange. Sloppy dry-brush of Vallego Gunmetal/touch of blue for contrast. Went back and put a thick wash of more orange/Vallejo rust wash/touch of medium back in the recesses, like the bits around the rivets. Took some more gunmetal/silver to highlight the raised areas. Voila! Rust.
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”