What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Primarch » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:29 am

I like the wild hair colours, it sets each member of the warband apart.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:40 am

Yeah, I mean I don’t hate it, it just goes against my usual limited-palette instincts. :lol: Expect the wood elf satyr dudes, when I paint them, to go full anime in the hair department.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 98 infantry
40K-iverse: 87 infantry, 2 vehicles, a whole mess of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:56 am

I like the colourful hair. Sure, it's off-palette, but try telling that to the chaos dudes, eh? Probably dyed with the blood of their daemonic fallen foes, or summat.

As for me, I've been playing a lot of Arena recently, and getting thrashed, which is not so fun, tbh. It seems to be improving just a tad of late, though, so maybe I'm on an upswing. I've also been working on a commander deck for my son's birthday, which I hope will be both fun and kerbstompy. Picking the right cards is giving me serious gyp, though. Finally, I went on a bit of a bender and ordered 3 shadespire warbands (Wurmspat, Hrothgor, and The Eyes), so I'm looking forward to them arriving and getting to grips with them. Other than that, all quiet on the hobby front :)
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Karantu
Veteran

Post by Karantu » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm

More hills!
I tried using different materials and a slightly different technique this time and I don't think the results are bad. Not sure if it's an improvement over my first batch but they're cheaper to make and weigh less. The first batch feels more solid but as long as you don't touch them too much it's not really noticeable.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 pm

More terrain is always a good idea. Well done!

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 pm

Nice! Definitely a solid entry in the time-honored "styrofoam stepped hills" terrain books, and work to be proud of.

Yesterday Jye and I went up to one of the board game cafes in Osu (this one, to be precise) for some games of Underworlds. It's a nice little place! A bit pricey at 2000 yen for 6 hours of table (including a free drink, to be fair) but you're paying for location after all. The tables were just big enough to comfortably play Underworlds, but fortunately that was the goal so it worked out. Lots and lots of games to borrow too if that's your bag. Definitely a viable venue for that size game, if you can get there early enough to get a table.

Good games too, including an epic ghosts versus ghouls matchup that started the third round tied at 15, always a fun nail-biting situation, but I just had more glory in my objectives hand than he did going in, and managed to galaxy-brain into scoring all of it. :lol:

As for progress, last night I basically finished the pre-shading for the beastman warband for Underworlds and the 3 raptoryxes I have for Warcry, so I'll start getting paint on them tonight. Also assembled the Wild Hunt for underworlds, and will prime up them and the three gryph-hounds I've had kicking around forever over the next couple days, weather permitting.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Veteran

Post by Jye Nicolson » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 am

The Other Dave wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 pm
Yesterday Jye and I went up to one of the board game cafes in Osu (this one, to be precise) for some games of Underworlds. It's a nice little place! A bit pricey at 2000 yen for 6 hours of table (including a free drink, to be fair) but you're paying for location after all. The tables were just big enough to comfortably play Underworlds, but fortunately that was the goal so it worked out. Lots and lots of games to borrow too if that's your bag. Definitely a viable venue for that size game, if you can get there early enough to get a table.
It's a good space! I reckon you could squeeze in Warcry or Kill Team as well, as long as you were careful not to intrude into other patrons' spaces with the extra kit you'd have with you.

Anything bigger, even a small 40k game, would be a bit of a struggle. You could probably fit a game onto one of the slightly bigger tables they had but since you pay per head rather than for space I'd imagine two people taking up a table for six+ doesn't fit the business model. Maybe on an ordinary weekday? I imagine they're still pretty busy on weekends.
Good games too, including an epic ghosts versus ghouls matchup that started the third round tied at 15, always a fun nail-biting situation, but I just had more glory in my objectives hand than he did going in, and managed to galaxy-brain into scoring all of it. :lol:
That was a great game, and definitely food for thought about my Grymwatch. I fell down in a couple of places, probably all going to the theme of focusing strictly on scoring my own cards as quickly as possible, meaning I discarded too many cards that might have been scorable in the long run, and failed to disrupt your plans at all (that's getting a lot harder to do as you tune and gain experience with those banshees, but it needs to be done!). I *often* get away with that approach in aggro decks because upgrades fuel my ability to kill the opponent, which tends to put a pretty low ceiling on their glory :)

(OTOH a fully tuned Grymwatch deck might be a bit oppressive, I'd have to really want some Shadeglass :lol: )

---

Hobbywise I'm still gluing Sisters. I invested in some of the 32mm Sector Imperialis bases and I'm actually really liking the results. Wish I'd done that from the start, but I'm too lazy to go back and rebase the ones I've done already. Quite a lot of them are precariously attached by one small foot so they might get a rebasing that way though.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:04 am

Well, like I said in the Magore game, the only surefire way to shut down the Mournflight's plans boils down to "kill three of them." :lol: They're slippery and no mistake.
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:08 am

A couple of weeks ago I finished off some Saxons and forgot to post them here.

I also painted up something for the Painting Challenge that I am taking part in, but before the picture, some information. The painting challenge contains several mini challenges and themed entries during the three months it runs for. One of the entries was to paint something and then gift it to someone else. Now, I have painted my entry, but I need to give it to someone, so the first person to ask for it, will get it. It isn't much, but it could serve as a terrain piece or an objective marker even if you can't use it in your army. (I don't know if 40K has rules for it currently). Anyway, there is a Lascannon turret free to a good home if anyone wants it.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:53 am

Welp, here's my 6-hour paint job on the Raptoryxes done for WarCry.

Good enough for a unit that basically just shows up sporadically and randomly. :lol: The beastmen for Underworlds are next since I'm on a roll.
-----

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”