What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Yeah, I've been through two months of work hell, heh. But I'm out the other side!

Over the past couple days I've been assembling the Blackstone Fortress stuff in fits and starts.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Primarch on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 am

@ToD - Looking forward to seeing what you do with the BF stuff.

As I have posted elsewhere, I have signed up for the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge. This is the 9th year it has been organized, but my first time entering. It is a three month speed/endurance painting challenge. Participants set out a target for how much they hope to paint in the time available and do their best to reach that target and exceed it where possible. Each completed mini (photos have to be posted on the challenge blog) nets you points based on it's size. A typical 28mm mini is worth 5 points for example. If you reach certain points thresholds, you are entered into a prize draw (about $25 I think). Along the way, there are bonus rounds which offer an additional 50 points or the equivalent of 10 extra minis.
I am pledged for 500 points, which works out at just over 30 minis per month. A few people have pledged for several thousand points (last year one guy painted over 5000 points, or 1000 28mm minis in the challenge), which is a serious amount of work.
This past year, I have been pretty lax about getting stuff done, so my main aim in entering is to increase my motivation and to tear myself away from playing games on my PC. I'll be posting everything I paint up on here as well as on the challenge blog, so fingers crossed there will be a lot more pages of my waffle to wade through in this thread over the coming months.
The contest starts on December 21st and runs through to March 21st. Minis can be primed before that day, but you can't start painting before that. So, I'll be trying to clear my desk, get stuff ready and be raring to go on the first day of the challenge.

Anyone wishing to place bets on my final score should feel free to do so. :D
Wish me luck folks!
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby kojibear on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:56 am

Primarch wrote:
Anyone wishing to place bets on my final score should feel free to do so. :D
Wish me luck folks!

Good luck Prim! :D You have the skill and the will! Not get out there and do it, mister! Cue training montage and suitable accompanying 80's music as we see Prim preparing his painting desk, shaking paint pots, clipping and gluing, washing brushes, and stretching fingers. :D
kojibear
Legend

Postby kojibear on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am

The Other Dave wrote:Yeah, I've been through two months of work hell, heh. But I'm out the other side!

Over the past couple days I've been assembling the Blackstone Fortress stuff in fits and starts.

Glad you are out of the work woods mate. Look forward to seeing the next line up of cool painted minis. :)
kojibear
Legend

Postby YellowStreak on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:47 am

Primarch wrote:Wish me luck folks!

Good luck! I'm feeling the itch since i haven't painted anything in a few weeks. And it'll likely still be a few more before i can get a brush in my hand...I was eyeing up the Space Marine heroes paint and miniature set for Y5000 in a store the other day... :lol:
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby Primarch on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:54 am

Thanks guys! :D
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am

apologies for not being around here much of late - I've been banging my head off the metaphorical wall of job-seeking, and frankly it's starting to get to me. Ah, if only I wasn't in Tsu, unable to work evenings or weekends... :roll:

but I digress - Aside from staring endlessly at a screen looking for work, I've spent my time...staring at a screen :? , playing mtg arena a lot (as y'all may have noticed :lol: ) and do rather find it to be the bee's knees. Full on, proper Magic, all the cards in Standard, cost of entry: zippety doo dah. What's not to like? (It eats up all my spare time and I can't paint, you say? Pay no heed to that voice there, my friends, it knows not of what it speaks...)

Actually, I did paint something - a stormcast from Shadespire. Quite fun to do, and could probably have been finished in half the time if I'd actually concentrated on it. The robes, btw, are not the same colour as the armour. The armour is bone/shaded to brown, the robes are straight up grey. The iphone's color detection/compensation is poop. Anyway - here's a pic:

2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:02 am

Now, you say they're different colours but I'm not entirely convinced. They do look very similar. :lol:
Nice work as always.
I think we're going to have to stage an intervention at some point though. This MtG obsession of yours is getting out of hand. :D

Good luck with the job hunting though, it must be tough finding something that suits your availability.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:19 am

YellowStreak wrote:
Primarch wrote:Wish me luck folks!

Good luck! I'm feeling the itch since i haven't painted anything in a few weeks. And it'll likely still be a few more before i can get a brush in my hand...I was eyeing up the Space Marine heroes paint and miniature set for Y5000 in a store the other day... :lol:

It's a ridiculously good value - I think the paints alone run more than the sticker price.

@mij - nice Stormcast there! Love the color scheme.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Konrad on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:34 am

Been getting a bit of paint on those Moors. Sorry, light not very good, but the colors are about that bright. Though I will be the first to admit not every color combination is a winner. I might go back and redo a couple of them. I try and put a at least a touch of creme-off white on every figure to unify the color scheme. The checks on that drum took a long time. But it's been fun. I mean, it's like the exotic east. Leave the mud and earth tones for those grubby Normans. Got a good start on the Black Guard today, who are dressed in mostly, well black, so a change of pace palette-wise.
Image Image Image Image
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント