What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby me_in_japan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 pm

Nice bigmarine, ToD. I must say, I do like the black and yellow. Works very well on the tabletop, too, I'm sure.

I went over to chez Spevna this morning for a spot of 40k (which in the end was called off early due to a certain weather system currently dumping mahoosive amounts of rain on us), and learned a few things about nu40k. Principally, that my death guard really, really struggle to deal with an army composed entirely of deff dreads and killa kanz. It just soaks up wounds to the point where it makes my death guard look like footslogging eldar. The scenario wasn't much help, either, mind you. F'r example, thanks to the Open War cards, we had a scenario where I was in the middle of the board with Spev's orks on either side of me, with 12" of space between us. An added issue was, according to the mission, the sun was blocked out, so all shooting was limited to 12". Yeah. Took him...oh, about half of the first turn to close the gap and charge me with his deff dread. Squad. :shock: Took my own dreadnaught out in a single round of combat (I mean, 6 attacks each, S10, 3W per hit. Not much to be done about that...)

Anyway, yeah - I'd like to try again where the scenario was a bit less against me, but still - 's good to know that orks mangle face pretty nastily in this edition. I shall bear it in mind next time I play against em. Maybe bring a land raider. Or Mortarion. Or both :twisted:

On which note - Mortarion and his Death Shroud arrived in the post yesterday. He's a big lad, and no mistake. No idea how to paint him, other than different to the GW version. Too many things going on there, imho...
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 pm

me_in_japan wrote:Nice bigmarine, ToD. I must say, I do like the black and yellow. Works very well on the tabletop, too, I'm sure.

Thanks! I'm pleased with how they've turned out - the uber high contrast makes them damnably difficult to photograph well, but they do look slick on the table.

I saw the pics of that game on Facebook. Looked fun! I actually sort of think that one of the charms (if that's the right word) of the Open War cards is the occasional uphill skate scenario, especially if you combine it with the smallish (like 50-60 power) games where 40k 8th is still fun and you can get in a couple games in a sitting - but that does start to get into my personal preferences for 28mm as a more or less skirmishy scale, heh.
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 181 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby Konrad on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 am

As I have to do on the Vikings now is to finish flocking the bases. And as I'm waiting till I'm in Osu this Friday to pick up said flock, I finally got a bit of work done on the Diggachicks and even started a brand new secret Diggachick project! Pretty happy with the latest two Diggaz and super excited about the new project. I'll get some pics up once I put some more clothes/strategically placed beads/braids on them. (The Diggaz, not the project. The project has no girly bitz. That's the only hint you get.)
Been mixing this putty called Aves Apoxie Sculpt in with my grey stuff. I really like it. It really helps to lighten up the putty and makes it easier to work with. And my grey stuff is getting a bit old and stiff, so it really helps out. It does really speed up the curing time. Which is good and bad. I work just little bits at a time and set it aside to avoid thumb-smashing my work, so it's not usually a problem. Usually I add standard Milliput, which is good but slows down the curing time. Which is good when I know I have more to do or a more challenging bit that will take more time to get right.
My "just a bit of left-over putty project) is I have some silly, cartoony, mutant-y, freaky guys based on some odd-ball pictures my daughter drew. I need to expand my sculpting repertoire to something besides naked Amazons and dinosaurs after all.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm

Yesterday I painted in the whites on the eyes of some 40 odd figures.
:shock: <---They look kind of like this. :D
I also applied some decals to a couple of BA minis. I had been going from some Tamiya instruction sheets, but I found that two slightly different sets of instructions disagreed about the correct placement of unit insignia. After looking back through all of the related instruction sheets, I found that Tamiya apparently don't know where unit insignia should be placed, so I wound up searching online for pictures from a museum. Tamiya make nice kits, but at times their research seems a bit hit and miss.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby YellowStreak on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 am

I’m in Malaysia for work this week, managed to pop into a local gaming store called 'Wira Games'. They stock lots of GW and some flames of war stuff at quite a discount. Very friendly staff and a nice shop with a half dozen gaming tables - wish we had that in Nagoya!
I picked up some Nid bits and had a good chat. 40k and AoS are both very popular in KL.
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby ashmie on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Bought 3 pots of new paint the other day to paint my chaos demons. Pinks and purples. I need to come away from the Ps4 as I am spending my life on there. :) More time needed for books and painting.
Good to see everyone is still keeping their hand in.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.
Maggots Michael, you're eating maggots.
ashmie
Wargod

Postby Primarch on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

ashmie wrote:Bought 3 pots of new paint the other day to paint my chaos demons. Pinks and purples. I need to come away from the Ps4 as I am spending my life on there. :) More time needed for books and painting.

Good for you. A new set of paints can help get the old mojo back. Nothing wrong with getting lost in a good book either.

Yesterday I had a pretty productive day. I dotted in the irises on some Saxons and started texturing their bases. I finished assembling a German Truck and some Malifaux minis. Cripes those plastic Mali-figures are a pain to put together. They're pretty good at hiding the joints, but whoever laid out the sprues must have been on something pretty potent at the time.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:53 am

One big happy family! Alternatively, more things for space marines to murder in hiveships.

I need to order some more bases for them. Bother.
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby jehan-reznor on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:17 pm

jehan-reznor
Champion

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:22 pm

jehan-reznor wrote:Looking good ToD, will make the same clear bases for them?

They're primarily for Advanced Space Crusade, so that's the plan, yes. I'm out at the moment, though, so they'll have to wait to get based up until I get round to placing an order.
The Other Dave
Wargod

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント