What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby Primarch on Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:54 am

YellowStreak wrote:Not so much today as last Friday, Koji came over to my place to give Dead Man's Hand (http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/dead-mans-hand) a go....

Sounds like fun.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 am

@MiJ: Nice! That’s pretty much my usual standard you’ve hit there, heh. No shame in an ok-looking model quickly painted. :D

@AGP: Awesome! Are you going to play some games with the original rules? I remember it being a lot of fun, but most everything is when you’re 15.
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 183 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby kojibear on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 pm

Primarch wrote:
YellowStreak wrote:Not so much today as last Friday, Koji came over to my place to give Dead Man's Hand (http://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/dead-mans-hand) a go....

Sounds like fun.

It was great fun. I think you would like it mate. :) Have you got any wild west miniatures amid your eclectic collection?

My gun fighter- before he got fitted for his personal mahogany box - was so mean that he would fight a rattle snake and give it first bite!

I like the d20s - it adds more to the excitement. :)
kojibear
Legend

Postby Primarch on Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm

kojibear wrote:
Primarch wrote:

Sounds like fun.

It was great fun. I think you would like it mate. :) Have you got any wild west miniatures amid your eclectic collection?

Not yet...

It rather depends on if anyone else would be willing to invest in suitable models, rulebooks and terrain.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Konrad on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:40 am

That Dead Man's Hand looks awesome. I was playing around with the idea of a card-based Western Gunfighter skirmish game a few years ago, but ran out of steam. I could get into this.
I remember Black Scorpion miniatures had a great line of gunfighters. Any recommendations?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:36 am

I looked into cowboy games a while back, but as always I had too many games/minis and not enough time/opponents.

Black Scorpion do a range of 32mm resin cowboy models. They also do their own set of rules based off of their Cutlass rules for pirates.
Wargames Foundry have a large range of metal Cowpokes, Greenhorns, Civilians, Injuns and 7th Cavalry types in 28mm. They usually have a 20-25% off sale around Black Friday for big orders.
Northstar (the company making minis for Frostgrave) is the official maker for DMH I believe. They are a little bit more expensive than Foundry and Black Scorpion, but can be bought from Caliver Books in the UK which does free shipping on smaller orders than WGF and BS.
Artizan Designs do some 7th Cavalry and a couple of packs of cowboys and I think Crusader does to. Again Caliver Books is your best bet for free shipping.
Reaper have some suitable figures in metal and in Bones, but as they are meant for RPGs they are at the pricey end of the scale for their metal minis.
Reaper and perhaps Northstar figures are available at Ring-Tail if you don't want to order from overseas.

No doubt there are some US companies doing similar ranges, but US postage costs are frankly ludicrous, so I haven't really looked too closely.

Sarissa, 4ground, TTCombat, Multiverse Gaming Terrain, Empires at War, Blotz and Battle Flag all do MDF buildings for the era. Wooden buildings are surprisingly easy to make from wood it seems.

As well as DMH, there are several other games available. Fistful of Lead, Legends of the Old West (a dead game from GW based on their old Lord of the Rings system), Dracula's America (fantasy/horror), Tombstone and more. Fights between outlaws and sheriffs lend themselves well to skirmish wargaming.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Primarch on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:26 pm

No hobby time for me so far this week. :(
But I did have time to have a quick look at the Dead Man's Hand rules. They look quite tempting... :oops:
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby YellowStreak on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 am

Primarch wrote:No hobby time for me so far this week. :(
But I did have time to have a quick look at the Dead Man's Hand rules. They look quite tempting... :oops:

You'll have to come over for a demo... ;)
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby Primarch on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:46 am

YellowStreak wrote:
Primarch wrote:No hobby time for me so far this week. :(

You'll have to come over for a demo... ;)

You'll have to invite me. :D
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 pm

This week my eldest asked me (well, pestered incessantly would be more accurate) to show him how to play Magic. Being a bit rusty on the rules (it's been a while), I downloaded Magic: Duels on Steam to refresh my memory.

Yeah.....shouldn't've done that :oops: Already waaaay too much time spent on that game these past few evenings.

On the plus side, he seems to be taking to the game (actual cards, not pooter game) fairly well. Only the basics so far, but at this rate by the time he turns 13 (um, in about 7 and a bit years) he should be well able to mop the floor with the opposition. If he does well enough on the pro circuit he'll be able to pay for his own university fees :lol: :lol: #forwardthinking #blindoptimism

yes, I know. Hashtags. Burn 'im at the stake for heresy :roll:
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント