What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: What did you do today.

Post by me_in_japan » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

despite being ridiculously pressed for time, i have decided to scrap the past 2 days of work on my plague thingy and wrap the thing up for a big airbrushing session tomorrow. Just too many goddamn fiddly bits on those defiler legs to paint them plate by plate. the damn thing is getting airbrushed metal and some details picked out in disease-y colours and it can dang well like it. Stoopid big mechanical aberration :evil: Looks like a gorramn dead spider in a cup at the mo, btw :lol:

also, does anybody else hate it when you put something up on ebay, set a starting price, arbitrarily set a "buy it now" price, and when someone buys-it-now within ten minutes of listing it, think "dammit. Aimed too low"? Just happened to me :( On the plus side, somebody bought it, so yay! money n stuff! :D
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 am

Love the shot of the studio MIJ. Creative, chaos at it's best.
I've never sold anything on e-bay, always looked like too big a hassle, but I really do need to clean house a bit.
Is the fact that you are shipping from Japan a big problem?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 08, 2018 7:48 am

depends what you're selling. Basic international (untracked) shipping is about 200en for a basic mini, rising as the item gets heavier (about 460 for a box of rackham minis, for example). Add 260 for signed-for, and another 460 or so for registered (ie insured) post and you rapidly hit sen en. So, if you're selling something for a hundred bucks, then people tend to swallow a bit of shipping costs (i usually set my shipping at 7.50USD, which doesnt quite cover it, but looks better than 10). Smaller items like a single space marine or what have you, shipping becomes prohibitive.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Tue May 08, 2018 10:52 am

Something for Saturday!

M.

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm

I applied decals to my vehicles today.
I, and by extension my tankers, are dirty slaneshi perverts, so the tank names are all filthy puns.

I can still see a small seam where the decal ends though. What's a good way to obscure that?
I heard a clear paint (lahmian medium) works, but can anyone confirm or provide another suggestion?

You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 08, 2018 2:19 pm

Dekana wrote: I can still see a small seam where the decal ends though. What's a good way to obscure that?
I heard a clear paint (lahmian medium) works, but can anyone confirm or provide another suggestion?
I usually put a clear matt varnish on top, then go round the edges of the decal with the base colour of the armour.
It's not perfect, but it helps.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Dekana
Veteran

Post by Dekana » Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Primarch wrote:I usually put a clear matt varnish on top, then go round the edges of the decal with the base colour of the armour.
Thanks, I'll give that a try!
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Tue May 08, 2018 9:46 pm

Dekana wrote:
Primarch wrote:I usually put a clear matt varnish on top, then go round the edges of the decal with the base colour of the armour.
Once I get the decal on the model, I brush on a bit of decal setting fluid. It softens and takes some of the edge off. That an a matt varnish/spray ought to do it.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue May 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Konrad wrote:
Dekana wrote:
Once I get the decal on the model, I brush on a bit of decal setting fluid. It softens and takes some of the edge off. That an a matt varnish/spray ought to do it.
This is my "pro tip" too. Vallejo sells Decal Medium, and there's a product called MicroSol that I don't know how available it is here in Japan, but both of them are basically very weak solvents that melt the decal a little - it softens the edges and also helps the decal fit to non-smooth surfaces. After you hit it with the varnish / sealant of your choice, the edges are basically invisible.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry
Adeptus Titanicus: 2 Titans

Miguelsan
Champion

Post by Miguelsan » Wed May 09, 2018 3:43 am

I don't know if I'll manage to tidy it for Saturday but working non-stop!

M.

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”