What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:12 am

Fun! I'd say I like the airbrush better - the carved-out outline looks a bit... hobby-crafty? in comparison. Which, sure, it is, but the airbrushing looks pretty dang slick.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Primarch on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 am

Why not both? Carve the surface, airbrush the smooth parts and fill in the channels with a nice border effect?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Today, in a continuing effort to avoid the ennui of painting More Skitarii, I bashed up some night goblin netters using the Skull Pass speargoblins (man, I still have a lot of those left) and some gauze. I think they'll pass muster!
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:38 pm

in an addendum to my earlier post today, here's what both looks like:

Does that sway anyone further into the "both" camp?
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 pm

Hmm. I think I like it better without, really - at least unless you can work on getting the carved lines really smooth and regular.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:23 pm

In a bit of a shock twist, I eventually decided to leave the symbols on the box plain with no paint at all. My thanks to those who gave their opinions - I did think about this fairly carefully, but I ended up deciding that since I was using wood (not plastic or what have you like we usually use in minis) I should really properly use the fact that it was wood, so I kept things natural. Anyway, without further ado, here's how it ended up...

Total cost: about 1100 yen. For the box. Not the cards. The cards were...more :?
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Konrad on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:26 pm

@MIJ- NIce! I could never manage to do woodworking (much to my uber-handyman father's disappointment). All those right angles and straight lines and fussy measuring.
Are you going to stain it?
Next box I expect to be lacquer ware with gold leaf inlays.

I had a class cancel last evening, so I got in a good couple hours on Prim's secret project. I have 3 or 4 figures properly done and the other half better than half-way finished. I won't have them done this weekend, but I'll get some pics.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 am

I had my first too-hot-to-paint night last night, so the Warglaives got a pause. I suppose I'll probably just have to turn on the A/C. Also ordered up a box of Sicarian Infiltrators yesterday to bring my AdMech up to a nice even 1500 points, which will leave me with two "mature" 40K armies and let me turn my attention to some armored dudes riding hippogryphs.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:27 am

@konrad - the inner lining is stained already (it's the same wood as the outer, actually), and the outer is waxed/varnished with the same stuff my dining table has on it. If I had a nice goldenish stain I might have used it, but I was kinda working with what I had lying around the house. I reckon it looks ok, though. My plan is for the box for the other half of the Lorwyn set to be in reversed colours.*)

*ok, so it went like this. Historically MtG had 3 different "sets" per year, which together made up a "block". Often the first was the "main" set, eg Ravnica, which had all the cards and fluff bits set in the city of Ravnica, and was all about guilds and scheming and whatnot. The next 2 sets of the year would also be set in Ravnica, and would have names like "Guildpact" or "Dissension". Lorwyn/Shadowmoor was an odd anomalous block because there were actually 4 sets that year. Lorwyn and Morningtide made up the Lorwyn mini-block, set in the plane of Lorwyn, which is all elves and fairies and boggarts and suchlike. Then Shadowmoor and Eventide were set in the same plane, but after a planar shift, so that what was nice and cute and fairy-like became a good deal more Tim Burton. Kinda like if Lothlorien suddenly turned into Mirkwood. Anyway, these 4 sets are the first I ever played of magic, and Ive been working to collect the whole lot (which is a bugger because between them theyre easily the biggest block in the game). I've managed LorMor, and will now get on with ShaEve. Hence my plan to do a reverse coloured box.

sorry. That was rather involved... :roll:
2018 totals
minis
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:13 pm

Got some minis finished off today.

Some random D&D figures.

15 German Panzer Grenadiers for the Hermann Göring Division.

18 Zulus from the uMxapho ('Mongrels') ibutho (regiment).
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント