What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: What did you do today.

Postby Konrad on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 am

Got some puttying done on the latest not so secret project.
These lot are pretty much done asides from some final millitput smoothing and a bit of touch up. I just noticed the guy on the left's arm does not quite fit. I think I'll trim the dhao (axes) down a bit too.

I've done a bit of work on these guys since I took this picture. Cut off the guy on the right side's arm and am doing it again. I even measured and marked and was really careful and still managed to get it 2.5mm too long. No pics of the unit leader yet, as at the time of took the pics, she still did not have her shirt on. Yes, she will be fully, completely not even any cleavage showing-y clothed. A radical departure from my usual work.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:09 am

Looking good!

I finished up my third Armiger today:

And now I'm going to take a break and do up half a dozen Skitarii or so before starting on number 4. Just 15 Skitarii and the last Armiger to get a cool 1500 points of AdMech, and I'd like to do it by game day on the 15th. Here goes nothing!
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Primarch on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:49 pm

@Konrad - Awesome work! They are coming along really well.

@ToD - Your big, stompy robots look great. Are the arms interchangeable? e.g. Could you have an Autocannon and a Chain Fist?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Primarch wrote:@ToD - Your big, stompy robots look great. Are the arms interchangeable? e.g. Could you have an Autocannon and a Chain Fist?

No, the loadout's set on the little knights for whatever reason. Either / or.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Nice work on the robots, ToD. The camo works marvellously - looks like camo, but doesnt actually break up the outline of the mini. (So I suppose it could be said to be not working marvellously, but hey ho, in mini painting aesthetics trumps practicality every time :D )

My painting has been somewhat slow of late, but I figure I should at least post here to remind people I still exist :)

I'm working away at some RPG figs, and am about halfway through them. Need to finish them by the end of the month, so the pace is being well and truly picked up. Other than that I've mostly been watching TV/movies, for further details, see the movie thread :) I'm getting actually quite interested in Age of Sigmar, of all things, and expect a biggish box of nurgly goodness to be arriving this month. I've been reading some very positive things about the new edition, which interestingly includes lots of praise for the background/setting, which as I'm sure y'all are aware, spent the first couple of years of its existence getting ripped to shreds by the masses on t'internet. I'm intrigued enough that I may even do a bit of reading, once I have time to do so.

So, aye - no pics of owt just yet, but hopefully soon(tm).
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby The Other Dave on Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:13 am

me_in_japan wrote:Nice work on the robots, ToD. The camo works marvellously - looks like camo, but doesnt actually break up the outline of the mini. (So I suppose it could be said to be not working marvellously, but hey ho, in mini painting aesthetics trumps practicality every time :D )

Thanks! I figure since it's AdMech it's 95% just cargo cult camouflage anyway - you paint it that way because some 12,000-year-old half-burned document says you should, not because you actually want to be harder to see.

I've been working through my Skitarii backlog the past couple days, including the Infiltrators I picked up with part of my summer bonus.

Speaking of which:

Like everything else in the army, it's a bit monochromatic, but I dig it - especially how the sword came out, considering how easy the effect was to do. Also, really wishing I'd discovered undercoating with gunmetal spray a long time ago - I daresay the 2500 yen for a can of Leadbelcher was even worth it. Leadbelcher spray, a smoke/black ink oily wash, drybrush steel, and bang.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby kojibear on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 pm

That's a cool robot there ToD! Looks like the kind of robot that might gain self awareness, befriend someone but then short circuit and lop their head off for some minor insult to the machine god. :D

My Space Wolves now have two landspeeders stocked with all the heavy weapons the Iron Priests could load it with. These two additions to the pack give the pack some much needed crunch to its bite.
kojibear
Legend

Postby Miguelsan on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 am

To be honest Dave your cargo cult explanation is the best desription of Admechs I've read. :lol:

M.
Miguelsan
Veteran

Postby Primarch on Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Not much painting progress from me over the weekend. I have a few D&D monsters on my table as well as some German infantry, but I just haven't been able to find the time to paint/do hobby stuff. I'm off on my holidays from Wednesday, so I will be making no further progress until the end of the month.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 am

I've been chugging away at Skitarii, nothing really exciting or worth sharing more pictures of. :D 9 down over past week or so, leaving 6 to go, plus the last Armiger, by Sunday. I actually think it's doable - if I actually paint more than 20 minutes a day, I can finish each group of 3 infantry in a day each, and I can usually whack out a knight in two or three days. Most of what's been slowing me up has been a) assembling the hellishly-complicated (but very pretty!) Stormcast, and b) that "more of the same" ennui that finishing up the last of 30 very similar guys brings with it.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント