What did you do today.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Jye Nicolson
Warrior

Re: What did you do today.

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Primarch wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:23 pm
@Jye - Why did you buy/paint Space Wolves if you want White Scars?
I played Space Wolves as a young fellow long ago, so when I got back into the hobby with Kill Team I knew I wanted to play them again for maximum nostalgia. But Kill Team didn't *have* Space Wolf rules so I just ran them as the best melee team I could find - Deathwatch. Even when Space Wolf rules were printed in Elites it made sense to take advantage of the roster system to use more than one chapter, including having the same model occupying multiple slots on the roster to be different chapters for different games. So the base that I'm expanding from has been consistent in its aesthetic but all over the place in rules :)

The current context of 40K is that Codex compliant chapters are awesome - combat doctrines are fun, there's incredible depth of viable units, and if you want to run successors you can still access most of the goodies of the parent chapter in addition to customising your own chapter tactic. White Scars are not as meta-busting as Iron Hands but they're a very fast force where every single unit is dangerous in melee and are buffed by storm themed librarians that can throw chain lightning.

Non codex chapters are not in a happy place in comparison. They got some new units, shock assault and point adjustments, but have yet to receive doctrines, upgraded tactics, relics, stratrgems, traits etc. Space Wolves seem to want to run a lot of Wulfen, which...I don't really want to buy a lot of Wulfen. I still think Space Wolves are cool but the second edition codex that I loved as a kid didn't have Wulfen or marines riding wolves and I have't quite come around on them yet 😅 I may pivot back to Wolf rules when they get a good update, no way to know if that's Psychic Awakening or 9th edition.

So TLDR I think White Scars are currently better Space Wolves than Space Wolves. Also I do own Codex Space Wolves for 8th (bought it for fluff) but I think it's in a box in my home town in Australia.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:42 am

Fair enough. Marines riding wolves into battle was not one of GW's better ideas, so I can understand not wanting to use them.

Personally I'd rather build and paint the army I like rather than what the rules favour, and relative power level of the codex be damned. (Though I do tend to have multiple forces for most games I play). I don't think the local group is overly competitive or meta-focussed, so it's not worth stressing over too much.

And yeah, if your entire army is proxying for a different army, a slighty out of place chainsword is nothing.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:03 am

And I finished painting some things. Now, bear in mind that I am not 100% up on AoS terminology, but here are my Introducers.
And some Tabulators.
I'm not sure what I am going to use these for as the obvious choice isn't one I'm interested in. They were fun to paint though. :D

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:34 am

The Eternals with the tabards are indeed pretty nice models, and those push-fit ones are especially cool-looking.

I finished up the first of the Space Marine (Anti-)Heroes series 3 set, a plague flail-er who is apparently named Scabous.

Being the eternal contrarian that I am, I went with the pre-Mortarion XIV legion Dusk Raiders colors, and it turned out pretty well! Now I'll finish up the sky dorfs for Underworlds (they got the same basecoat as this guy, and the same 'Dave's Own Fake Nuln Oil' wash, so now it's just finishing up the cloth and leather on them. Then I think I'll do the second plague marine, and intersperse them with other stuff like that.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 59 [0] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [65] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 [4] Titans, 6 [4] Knights

Jye Nicolson
Warrior

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:02 am

Primarch wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:03 am
I'm not sure what I am going to use these for as the obvious choice isn't one I'm interested in. They were fun to paint though. :D
The crossbow ones are good for Warcry (very minor proxying but the only relevant issue in Warcry right now is *size* of crossbow, not magic crossbow vs mechanical crosbow), and their bird-dog is a good unit in its own right.

The hammer ones are straight up an Underworlds team! You'd have to proxy their cards but the miniatures are correct.

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Its nice to see some Stormcast that aren't pure gold from time to time. I really like the more realistic colour palette. Although that combination of colours on the Gryph-hound reminds me of a hen.

I managed to make some progress on the Bonereapers. I'm mostly done with the line infantry, I'm just wondering how much more time I want to spend on them. There's still two more Stalkers left and the hero guy has a few details remaining too. I tried something new with the bases, it didn't work out so well for some of the Mortek Guard but I think I've got the hang of it now.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:05 pm

While I'm still not completely sold on the Bonereaper chappies (meh, they are what they are, I spose), your paint job does a good job of pushing me in the right direction. I much, much prefer your choice of kinda old, weathered bone/parchment, as opposed to Gee Dubs' shiny white. The bases are also very effective - proper parched earth effect going on there. Job's a good un, I'd say.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:51 pm

@ToD - Nice work, the old scheme works well on the figure.
Karantu wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm
Although that combination of colours on the Gryph-hound reminds me of a hen.
You mean it's not some kind of chicken? :lol:

Your skele-thingies are looking good. The bases are a good match for the minis.

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 am

I guess essentially all birds and dinosaurs are some form of chicken.
Even though the new skeletons are supposed to be made of fabricated/reformed bone, I still prefer a more grungy look. Can't wait till I have a full 1000+ points painted. So far it's been pretty fun painting with contrast paints but I'm slightly concerned about how well it'll work on larger models like the artillery piece and the terrain piece. Also after the last community post I'm too intimidated to paint Katakros.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:02 am

My personal instinct would be to avoid using Contrast on anything with large flat surfaces, BUT on the other hand Osaka painting wunderkind Senasuke figured out a quick way to get rid of (most of) the pooling you can get (video here, and her channel is in general a pro follow) - the gist of it is if you mix regular white paint and the contrast color you used and sort of drybrush over the uneven bits with that, then reapply a thin coat of the contrast color, it takes care of the worst of the pooling.

I think Katakros would be a fun project - the trouble with "painting with the pros" articles like that is that they can be about 50% inspiring and 50% terrifying. Focus on the first bit, heh.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 59 [0] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [65] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 [4] Titans, 6 [4] Knights

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”