2015 Resolutions Thread!

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

2015 Resolutions Thread!

Postby The Other Dave on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:03 am

We're almost done with 2014, which means it's time for those of us who are so inclined to make our gaming resolutions for 2015! Personally I found it helpful this past year, even though I strayed quite a lot from my original goals - just having a plan and some general things to work towards, even if I changed the plan a bunch, was very motivating, as my running-total signature hopefully attests.

So, here's what Dave is planning to do in 2015!

First, by January's Joshin day I want to wrap up my 10mm Middle-Earth project and have a Battle of Five Armies participation game to run (I promise it won't take as long as the movie!). This means I need to paint:

5 bases of Dwarves
2 bases of Horsemen
2 bases of Elven Archers
1 base of Trolls
6 bases of Goblins
4 bases of Human Archers
and Gandalf

That may seem like a lot, but at 10mm it's eminently doable in a month's time.

I also want to round out both my Dropzone Commander forces to 1500 points. That means I need another unit each of PHR anti-tank and AA walkers, a command unit, and a unit of heavy walkers, all with their dropships, and for the Scourge a unit of anti-tank hovertanks, a light dropship, and a unit of heavy tanks, all with their dropships.

I want to get a demo-able game together of 6mm Thermopylae, which means about 10 units each of 4 warmaster bases (20mm x 40mm, each with 16 little dudes) for both the Greeks and the Persians, plus some captains and generals.

I want to get a good solid force done for 6mm Napoleonics, no really this year I mean it, which mostly means a good few more units of line infantry (60mm x 30mm, each with 24 duders), plus some command bases.

Finally I do want to get a start on Bolt Action, which will probably in the end mean a platoon of late-war Germans along with some support (I want a full platoon because I do want to collect towards Chain of Command, which starts your force with a full platoon), probably starting small with an anti-tank gun or two and maybe a recce halftrack or something.

Quite a bit, but I made good progress on what I wanted to do this year, so I'm going to go ahead and put my cards on the table for another good painting year in 2015!
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 180 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Re: 2015 Resolutions Thread!

Postby Spevna on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:45 am

Alright, I'll bite.

My goals for 2015 are ;

build and paint my tanks for BA ( there's 6 of them).
paint up 6pts of Celts for Saga.
paint 1500pts of Eldar.

If they all get done, I will try to finish my RT Space Marines.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby Primarch on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

Well, I succeeded in my goal for this year, but I did feel very burned out from painting so much and very stressed about getting stuff done each month. (I took part in a monthly painting challenge over on the Warlord forum as well).
So for 2015 I am going to set the bar much lower.
First up I need to get my hobby room in a usable condition. That means building a gaming table, unpacking and sorting through my collection and all that jazz.
Next I want to work on some terrain projects that I have had lying about untouched for some time now. I've avoided working on them as I knew I would be moving soon.
I plan to get my Raven Guard done for NagoyaHammer this year.
Finally, I have a somewhat secret project that I want to get done, with an aim to demo games before the summer.

If I can meet all those goals, I'll be happy.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby ashmie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:02 pm

Seeing as I only painted 12 minis this year! Several of which I had started in previous years I'm not going to set myself any numbers.

Hobby resolutions for 2015
1: a Balrog
2: My goal is to restart and complete my ECW Pike and Shotte.
I also would like to paint some bikers for Dredd and assemble and paint a faction for Infinity.

3: The biggest resolution will be not to cancel at the last minute and make more of an effort to game at least once a month at Joshin, Kuwana or a hobby room near you. :)

4: I'm open to trying any game and would like to get some more 40k 7th under my belt before NH 2015.

5: Play some Hail Caesar.

But first, The Balrog!
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.
Maggots Michael, you're eating maggots.
ashmie
Wargod

Postby Lovejoy on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Here are my main goals. I'll be happy to finish say 6 of these 9.

1. Paint all my outstanding Dredd minis. This is about 40 odd.
2. Stick with a Dredd faction, and get some levels on them. I've enjoyed playing a different gang everytime, but now I'd like to commit to one (at least until it's annihilated)
3. Paint and play 4-6 point faction of Normans for Saga.
4. Paint and play two 24 point Wars of the Roses retinues for Lion Rampant (2 because demos)
5. Paint and play at least two 200 pt Ronin factions.
6. Paint and play Indians and Highlanders for Muskets and Tomohawks (again, no one else is doing it so I need 2 factions)
7. Finish Bolt Action Fallschirmjager!
8. Tidy up and expand those Space Wolves to 1500 pts. Terminators or Blood Claws in some configuration I reckon.
9. Paint another 40k army to 1500 pts (Necrons or Orks). I will take 8 or 9 to Nagoyahammer.

This is a lot to finish, I estimate 250-300 minis. And a lot of new stuff. There are bound to be other games I have vaguely promised to get in on, and have missed out here.
Can it be done? I managed over 100 minis this year...with a little discipline, I reckon the above might just be possible.
Secret Projects seem to be the in thing now. Maybe I'll do one of my own as No. 10...
2017 Hobby Progress: Nowt.
Lovejoy
Legend

Postby job on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:45 pm

2014, I finished all my painting goals and did a little more. (Although a little tardy.) I finished the Bolt Action army, my Dropzone Commander army, the French FoW army with Voss and I also finished up the contents of my Dark Vengeance box (with exception of one figure) and the rest of the Black Legion models. The one resolution I totally blew was curbing my spending. That went out the window when I got carried away and spent 30,000 yen on Danginius' Greater Brass Scorpion. :( But it was worth every yen. :D

For 2015:
Painting: Paint what I have. (Things in inventory: Heldrake, Bloodslaugterer, 13 Bloodletters, 2 15mm Panthers, 1 Dark Angels Commander, 2 mutant-y models I dug up from Primarch's bitz bin. 10 Berzerkers, an Ork Blood Bowl team, and a Perry Bridge exist but are not really high on my list of things to paint. And I nearly forgot about the Napoleonics! What I am going to do about that?!) I want a Sicarian. I am toying with the idea of painting some sengoku-era models. I might buy some traitor guard- cultists to enjoy painting and modeling. If a Chaos Knight is produced I am likely to buy and paint it.

Otherwise, I just plan to paint and model what I like.

Spending: Try to limit expansion of the number of models or terrain. Invest in carrying cases.

Event: I'd like to open a room for some king of gaming event, likely Bolt Action, 40k Apocalypse or Warhammer tourney-ish event.

Non-Gaming: Turn my attention back to other things like studying Japanese and hopefully starting a family.
Last edited by job on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Wargod

Postby me_in_japan on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Hmmm. My goals for 2014 were kinda met. I did pledge not to buy over half a dozen minis, and I was doing really well until that infinity starter came along and spoiled everything. Taking that aside, though, I did stick close to my 6mini limit. On the painting side, I managed about 40 minis, several of which were vehicles. As ratios go, it's not a bad one for minis in:minis out.

This year, I would like to complete most of the following:
1) keep my bought:painted ratio at 1:10 if possible.
2) finish up enough dark Eldar to field 1500pts of newly painted stuff at Naghammer.
3) paint all 14 infinity starter minis in time for Naghammer
4) build an infinity board, and buy/make enough terrain to fill it.
5) paint one or two of those big Bones minis (Cthulhu or kaladrax), just for fun
6) finish painting my corsairs (2 squads, 2 venoms and a flyer still to go)
7) paint a few more girls for my Dredd gang
8) possibly paint my plague hulk, but that's a bit optimistic

Plenty to be getting on with, but I'm not going to stress about it. We shall see what the future brings :)
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Colonel Voss on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:36 am

Not good at this resolution thingy but here goes.

1) Warmachine/Hordes: Going to focus on this game setting this year. Spent the past month gluing together all I have for my four factions. Also almost have a complete 25 pnts for a new faction. Get playing and painting. Should be an interesting (if schizophrenic :lol: ) adventure.

2) Infinity: I've narrowed it down to two factions. Once I decide, I'll get the starter set and go from there.

3) Warhammer fantasy: I'll wait until 9th drops and then see what way to go. The merging of armies is definitely interesting and it suddenly gives me so many ideas. Just gotta see where the chips fall.

4) 40k: sell off. right now I have nearly 0 interest so unloading would be good. I'll keep the starter stuff in case I ever want to get into it again.

5) And the last and most important one for me: find a gf! seriously, it's been 4 years nearly and I've had one date in that time.
It's easy to die in the swamp. What's hard is to staying dead.
-Alten Ashley

Iron within, Iron without
Colonel Voss

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:36 am

@Voss - be aware that the infinity starter does NOT contain complete rules, although it is a very good deal if you decide to play PanO or Nomads. If you decide to play a different faction, you might be better off just buying the rulebook instead. You can d/l the rules from Corvus Belli's website, btw.
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby AndrewGPaul on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 pm

If you're planning on buying the Yu Jing, Ariadna, ALEPH or Tohaa starter sets, you'll need to use the old 2nd edition stats for the time being; the new 3rd edition rules only update the previous rulebook, not the game system as a whole. Either find someone who's got the old Human Sphere or Campaign: Paradiso books or find the old PDFs at http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/downloads/ (the old site, not linked to from the new one). There should be an updated PDF with new stats soon, but that's a little vague. :)

My resolution is to get 2000 points of High Elves painted by the end of April. After that, who knows.
AndrewGPaul
Champion

Next

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント