Scaling the Lead Mountain - 2016

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Scaling the Lead Mountain - 2016

Postby Primarch on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:52 am

A little early, I know, but with my ever growing piles of lead, plastic, mdf and resin, I have decided to try and bring my spending and procurement under control in the new year.
Last year I painted 500 minis and I am hopefully on course to finish 300 this year. It's not enough! The mountain of minis in my games room keeps growing and growing.

So, to deal with it, I am going to implement a points based system for my hobby purchases. Models painted or sold give me points and models bought subtract points. It's not an original idea, but I'm going to try to end next year with a positive balance on my books. As my aim is to reduce the unpainted pile, the ratio between painting and buying won't be 1:1.

Model ‥ Buying ‥ Painting ‥ Selling
Small
Infantry ‥ -1.5 ‥ +1 ‥ +1.5
Large Infantry/
Cavalry ‥ -2.5 ‥ +1.5 ‥ +2.5
Small Vehicle/Building
Monster ‥ -3 ‥ +2 ‥ +3
Large Vehicle/Building/
Monster‥ - 5 ‥ +3 ‥ +5

For example, anything that would fit on a 25mm base is in the first category, anything larger is in the second. So a marine would be category 1 and a terminator is category 2.
Vehicles up to land speeder/rhino sized fit into the third category and anything bigger is the fourth.

Everything I buy/paint/sell for myself* between Jan 1st and Dec 31st will be scored as above. My biggest problem is that I have a large kickstarter (Reaper minis) coming in the second half of the year, so I have to build up a reserve in the first half of the year. :D

Anyone else fancy doing something similar? Set your own points system by all means, it's always easier to stay motivated when you know you're not doing it alone.

*I have some BB minis to paint up on commission, which won't count towards my total.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Scaling the Lead Mountain - 2016

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:43 am

I wish you the best of luck in your noble endeavor. Do you score extra points if you sell minis for more than you paid for them?
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:50 am

me_in_japan wrote:Do you score extra points if you sell minis for more than you paid for them?

No. The goal here is to cut down on buying new stuff and reduce the pile in my room, rather than for any financial reason. Plus, I don't think I have anything that is worth a whole lot. :D
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby job on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm on board with the general concept. While I won't be applying quantifiable values like above, I am really trying to keep my procurements at a limit. This last year actually was a great success overall. Everything I bought except the special order made this month was or will be built and painted. I even accomplished painting almost everything of my large back log of Napoleonics. Even some odds and ends to the Warahmmer 40k and FoW collection got some attention. I also whittled down a few objects by giving away what I wasn't going to get to.

That said, 2 weeks ago, I made a 100 British pound purchase of Polish Napoleonic miniatures I've been eyeballing for two years. So I'm back to square one, but then again I have the New Year to sort that out. :D
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Wargod

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:47 pm

I was on track to a balanced in/out ratio this year right up until November, when I started faffing about with buildings and stuff. I've spent the past month or so building/painting terrain. Very constructive, and will see a darn sight more use than any given mini I painted this year, but doesn't really count for much when it comes to bringing up the painted-mini count :( See depressing stats in my sig below for details :( I'm actually half way through 6 minis right now that'd balance the books, but the odds of finishing them between the 27th and the 31st are next to none :( waa booh :(

Fare thee well on thy noble quest, brave sir! Fare thee well!
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Auxryn on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm running close to the opposite problem. I own only a half dozen models that aren't painted (though many of the early models are atrocious and could be repainted) but I really need to start acquiring some appropriate models for my new game systems (such as Strange Aeons and Hunters of Ruin).
I also have quite a few models I painted but have yet to use, so making certain they see the table next year is a goal.
Auxryn
Champion

Postby job on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:24 pm

Auxryn wrote:I'm running close to the opposite problem. I own only a half dozen models that aren't painted (though many of the early models are atrocious and could be repainted) but I really need to start acquiring some appropriate models for my new game systems (such as Strange Aeons and Hunters of Ruin).
I also have quite a few models I painted but have yet to use, so making certain they see the table next year is a goal.

Don't forget you'll be acquiring an armada or two sometime after June. :) But otherwise congratulations on actually arriving at the other side this mountain most of us have.
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Wargod

Postby Konrad on Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:48 am

Auxryn wrote:I'm running close to the opposite problem. I own only a half dozen models that aren't painted (though many of the early models are atrocious and could be repainted) but I really need to start acquiring some appropriate models for my new game systems (such as Strange Aeons and Hunters of Ruin).

Those Kroot do get around! :D
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:19 am

I just did a quick tally of what will be arriving in my Reaper: Bones KS pledge later in the year. At a rough estimate, I have 330+ points of minis on the way, which means that I need to paint 330+ regular infantry sized minis this year to break even (painting larger figures will reduce that number of course).
In 2015, I painted 300 minis total. Even allowing for a few tanks and big monsters, that still doesn't leave me much wiggle room if I don't paint large numbers of minis month after month. On top of that, there are a load of things that I would like to buy, though I guess that is the point of this little exercise....
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Primarch on Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

Today I finished off 32 Marines, 6 Terminators, 1 Daimler Dingo and 5 D&D minis. (Pics)

With my guidelines above, I scored:
Marines - 32 Points
Terminators - 9 Points
Dingo - 2 Points
D&D Minis - 5.5 Points (The bug is bigger than the other minis).
For a grand total of: 48.5 Points :D
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Next

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント