Painting Vikings and Saxons

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Krobrawlg
Rookie

Re: Painting Vikings and Saxons

Post by Krobrawlg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:39 pm

@Primarch Yes, the yellow is one you gave me, but no worries, the rest are in pretty good condition. Thanks for the advice!

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:06 am

I sometimes use yellow designers' gouache instead of regular acrylic figure paint. Gouache is much more densely pigmented and is much more opaque. It does have a slightly grainy texture once dry, so if I were trying to paint diaphanous silk or glossy panzee topaz I wouldn't use it, but for most stuff it would not be a problem. As I am usually painting dusty, greasy, rusty, gritty Gorkamorka figures, it is perfect.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 am

@primarch- By the way, with the light-brown-under-yellow technique, you would not apply another wash after the yellow coat, correct? Is this because the darker areas from the earlier wash show through?

@Konrad - Diaphonous! A beautiful word I don't think I've ever heard before. Where do you get your gouache? Is it something they have at your run-of-the-mill art supply store?

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:00 am

Also for yellow in particular you might find it worthwhile to shell out for the GW basecoat (Averland Sunset?). Their base series are more heavily pigmented than regular paints, so they sit better on black undercoats. I have a pot and it's made my yellow-painting life much much easier.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:36 am

Krobrawlg wrote:@primarch- By the way, with the light-brown-under-yellow technique, you would not apply another wash after the yellow coat, correct? Is this because the darker areas from the earlier wash show through?
Yeah, just the one wash should be enough. With the yellow layer you can leave the wash showing in the recesses. A second yellow layer on the highest points will help bring out the colour even more. The Dark Ages weren't known for their spotlessly clean clothes and brilliant colours. (Well, not to my knowledge anyway).
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

YellowStreak
Legend
Location: The stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap), Deep in the heart of Texas

Post by YellowStreak » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 pm

The Other Dave wrote:Also for yellow in particular you might find it worthwhile to shell out for the GW basecoat (Averland Sunset?). Their base series are more heavily pigmented than regular paints, so they sit better on black undercoats. I have a pot and it's made my yellow-painting life much much easier.
Agree with this. Averland Sunset is a great yellow base.
On the painting table:
Bolt Action Narvik Army
Necromunda Gor-liaths
Walking Dead Survivors/Zombies
Zombicide base set (so many zombies!)
Test of Honour Samurai
Rangers of Shadow Deep Rangers+Monsters
Astral Hams BigMarines

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:36 pm

Krobrawlg wrote:@primarch- By the way, with the light-brown-under-yellow technique, you would not apply another wash after the yellow coat, correct? Is this because the darker areas from the earlier wash show through?

@Konrad - Diaphonous! A beautiful word I don't think I've ever heard before. Where do you get your gouache? Is it something they have at your run-of-the-mill art supply store?
You made me go look it up to make sure I used it right....... I got mine at Volks, but most any art store will have it. It is in a tube, so is stiffer than what you get out of a GW pot, if it makes a difference. Once it's on the pallete, it handles just as easily as any other paint.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:15 am

YellowStreak wrote:Agree with this. Averland Sunset is a great yellow base.
And I should say: If you're in Nagoya, Yodobashi Camera in Sakae carries the whole GW paint line. Their shades are also highly regarded, and Nuln Oil in particular is pretty much a 24ml bottle of painting talent.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Krobrawlg
Rookie

Post by Krobrawlg » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:38 am

Thanks for all the information.

By the way, I found this site talking about colors they might have been able to produce in the dark ages.

http://1000footgeneral.blogspot.jp/2012 ... ettes.html

It's based on the work of some lady who tried to recreate dyes from materials that would have been available in England at the time. She's a dye-er and not a historian, so it seems like mostly speculation and experimentation. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:30 am

Thanks for the link. I've browsed through some of that blog before, but I hadn't seen that particular article. It was quite interesting, though I'm not altogether sure that there is any benefit into having seasonal palettes except for as an arbitrary aesthetic theme.
For my own forces, my Saxons are mainly dressed in light grey or beige tunics with a strip of colour along the edges. My Vikings are more colourful in red and blue tunics. This was mainly to aid in visually identifying them at table height rather than any research based decision. :lol: :lol:
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”