Painting Vikings and Saxons

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

Re: Painting Vikings and Saxons

Postby Krobrawlg on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 am

Thanks for all the advice! While I would love my saxons look like a bunch of fabulous bearded drag queens with ruby lips and dusky eyeshadow, I will probably just skip the eyes for now.
I got some cheap brushes, but (especially the little ones) they lose their point very quickly which makes it difficult to paint something as small as an eyeball. My hands aren't very steady either, perhaps from all the caffeine.

@Me in Japan - This pale bone of which you speak, is it the same as @Konrad's slightly off white?
Krobrawlg
Rookie

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:17 pm

yes - pale bone, off white, ivory, maggotflesh, angelwing pale, whatevs. Lots of brands = lots of names, but they're all basically the same. I know a lot of people get hung up on painting "recipes" (e.g. two drops of skull white mixed with three drops of bleached bone as a base coat, then add two drops of desert yellow to shade, blah blah) but in my humble (yet fairly experienced, mind :P ) opinion, it doesn't matter diddly what paint you use as long as it's in the same ballpark as your target colour.

ps - get decent brushes. They cost a few quid each and will make you happy with their long-lasting springy pointiness. Rosemary and Co are my brush company of choice, but Winsor and Newton are also good (albeit overpriced), Rafael are also good, I believe. Anything which is Kolinsky Sable (often watercolour brushes) should be fine. Just watch the length of the brush handle/length of bristle.

*edit* sorry - I got a bit carried away writing this. It's all relevant, but may be a bit more than you need at this point. Ignore if you prefer ;)

Painting can basically be broken down as:

1) base coat. You can take this straight out of a pot, or mix it as you go. Both work just fine. It can be convenient to use the same out-of-the-pot colour as a base coat, but keep in mind at all times: Does Private Bob White wear an identical helmet to Private Joe Black, while standing in exactly the same level of sunlight, which hits him at precisely the same angle? If the answer to that question is "no", then yon helmets are gonna be different shades of khaki.

2) Shade. To shade, add a darker/opposite colour to your base. There are 2 ways to do this. Generally, shade colours by adding a little of the dark versions of their opposites (e.g. shade red by adding a dab of dark green to the base red, then shade with the resulting dark brownish red), although there are exceptions to this (e.g. the opposite of yellow is purple, but if you add purple to yellow you get a wierd icky mess. Still works as a shade, mind you.) Or, pick a shade colour (say, dark green) and add this to all your colours to act as the shade. (e.g. green uniform, flesh tone, grey pouches. Add a dab of dark green to all of your base coat colours to shade them). This latter approach will add a colour cast to your mini, which goes a long way to creating mood. The more shade tone you add in either method, the darker the shadows get. Ultimately they'll turn into the shade colour, but before they do, start adding black, if you really want to go devil's arsehole dark on your minis. Generally, t'aint worth the extra effort, though.

3) Highlight. Same as shading, but use a lighter shade of the opposite colour. Or, again, pick a pale colour and add it to all your base colours (e.g add a dab of whitish yellow to your green/brown/grey and highlight them all with that)

It works best if you go warm for shadows and cool for highlights (e.g add brown to shadows and pale, pale blue for highlights) or vice versa (e.g dark blue for shadows and warm ivory for highlights) as this is what happens in real life.

Finally, you can flip the warm/cold contrast on different parts of the mini, if you're feeling artistic.

The point of all of the above is that there is no such thing as "the same colour". Every painted mini you see will be layers of different paint, which all result in a slightly different colour overall. That's without even getting into how neighbouring colours interact. You can basially paint something with whatever comes to hand, and as long as you aim roughly for a certain colour, it'll look fine in the end.
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Krobrawlg on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:39 am

@me_in_japan

thanks for the tips Dave. Is the shading technique basically an advanced alternative to using "shades" or washes, or do you still apply a wash afterwards?
Krobrawlg
Rookie

Postby me_in_japan on Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:29 pm

washes are good for quick and simple darkening of a colour. For rank and file chaps, just base coat, wash, highlight is plenty good enough. The shading technique gives you much, much more control over how colours interact, but takes an order of magnitude more time (well, it will at first. You'll get faster.) I'd say reserve the shading for your "special" minis - army commanders, centerpiece models, that kind of thing. One thing to keep in mind when step-shading* (for lack of a better term) is that you need to be cautious how much of a step you make between colours when you shade. If the change in colour from base to shade is too strong, it'll look too stark. If it's not strong enough, it won't look shaded enough. Top end painters will use 10, 20, 50 shades of paint between their darkest and lightest (to be fair they'll most likely use advanced techniques to produce smooth gradations between fairly strongly different colours) but as a newb, you're probably best aiming for 2-3 layers of progressively darker paint going from base to darkest shade. Try to keep them fairly thin, and use thinned-down, in-between (50/50 mixes of the adjacent layers) paints to smooth transitions. Don't worry if it looks like ass the first few times you do it. We've all been there (and frankly, there are days when I feel like I'm still there :roll: )

That said, washes are useful when applied to step-shaded minis, as they help level out the steps, kinda bringing everything closer to the same level of colour saturation. Smoothes things out a bit, like. This would be more of a glaze, though**.

*technically this technique is called layering, btw.

**a wash is designed to flow into recesses and make them dark. A glaze is designed to give a uniform, transparent thin layer over a whole area, giving it a unified colour tint.
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Konrad on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:20 am

Mailman just dropped of a horde of bloodthirsty Viking raiders. Going to be a lot of work, as most of them are missing the horns on their helmets and I'm going to have to do a lot of drilling and pinning and sculpting to fix that. (insert horned helm smiley) Pics as I get to work on them.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:32 am

Konrad wrote:Mailman just dropped of a horde of bloodthirsty Viking raiders. Going to be a lot of work, as most of them are missing the horns on their helmets and I'm going to have to do a lot of drilling and pinning and sculpting to fix that. (insert horned helm smiley) Pics as I get to work on them.

Historically speaking they shouldn't have horns on their helmets, but since that is the stereotypical image of them, I guess you'll be pretty busy converting them into horny norsemen.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Konrad on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 am

Primarch wrote:
Konrad wrote:Mailman just dropped of a horde of bloodthirsty Viking raiders. Going to be a lot of work, as most of them are missing the horns on their helmets and I'm going to have to do a lot of drilling and pinning and sculpting to fix that. (insert horned helm smiley) Pics as I get to work on them.

Historically speaking they shouldn't have horns on their helmets, but since that is the stereotypical image of them, I guess you'll be pretty busy converting them into horny norsemen.

heh, heh, horny norsemen
Darn history. All Vikings should have horned/winged helms. And I meant that as a joke. I'm not going to be doing that much converting. Though some of these hunks of lead do need some work.
Here is the horde. Got them mostly puttied and filed.

And today's "Name that Viking" quiz. Here are a few of the archers. The halls of Valhalla will ring with your praises should you be able to name the manufacturers. My buddy really made a lot of effort to find some unique miniatures.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:35 am

Impressive looking collection. Vikings do seem to be a popular group to make models for.

If you're looking for inspiration, I suggest this blog:
http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop. ... ikings?m=0

Loads of eye-candy.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Konrad on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Started getting some paint on those Viks. Lousy picture. There are another 7 or so besides these, just have no gotten pics yet.
Been a long time since I've worked with metal. Drop one and paint WILL get scraped off. Forgotten about that. Some of these figs are also quite...old fashioned. Lots of flash and rough casting. I even took a knife and re-carved some of their hands to make them a little less balloon-like. Not the most rewarding effort/result ratio, but a nice change of pace from savage space monsters and mostly nekkid amazon road warriors. My painting mojo has been a bit shaky these days and this project is a good way to get some practice in and discipline the old techniques.
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby Primarch on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:40 am

They look great, your friend should be very pleased with them.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

PreviousNext

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント