New Year's Resolutions: 2018 Edition

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

New Year's Resolutions: 2018 Edition

Postby Primarch on Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:49 am

The New Year is here and with it a handful of rapidly broken promises and easily dismissible life-changing decisions. :D

Righty-ho then, time to make my pledges, so that in 6 months I can say that I am vaguely on target and in 12 months I can make suitable excuses for not achieving them.

First off, I want to post more hobby content on NagoyaHammer. I have been a little lax in posting over the past year or so, (except for minor rants, whinges and so forth). I'd like to see people getting more out of the site, so it's incumbent upon me to put more into it I guess.

Secondly, I want to be more organised about my hobby this year. I often have a wild notion pop into my noggin and away I go buying stuff, only to see it linger on a shelf for several years without being touched. I want to try and get stuff done when I buy it. My Tamiya shelf is nearing critical mass and I have boxes of minis still on the sprues that are old enough to draw a pension.

Thirdly, I want to try to avoid new personal projects this year (again). Something where several other people are involved is fine, but I already have enough to do without getting distracted by the new 'shiny' that only I have any interest in.

Fourthly, I want to do more work on existing projects and start getting stuff finished off. Are armies ever truly finished? I don't know, but I want to get the models I have, finished. I have too many projects on the go and I need to clear some of them away.

Finally, and this is my only goal with a quantifiable target, I want to paint an average of 30 minis a month. It's a target I know I should be able to reach, but putting it here gives me motivation to do so.

So how about the rest of my fellow forumites? Any goals, aims, objectives or pledges you'd like to declare?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: New Year's Resolutions: 2018 Edition

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Mine are, in broad strokes, pretty similar to Prim's, and are focused around, well, focusing.

Basically:

1. Nagoya games days are for 40K, Malifaux, and Shadespire. That doesn't mean I'm giving up on Epic, Advanced Space Crusade, and various Hawk games, but it does mean I want to relegate them to separately-organized off days. (For those of you - both of you :D - who took the plunge on these games with me, I do realize that this may be sort of leaving you in the lurch, and I do feel kind of bad about it, but... that feeling is not bad enough to outweigh the hobby positives I'm already seeing from this decision. :cry:)

1a. As a corollary of that, I really don't want to pick up any new games this year, or put much time or effort into collecting and painting any games besides the three above. Shadespire is kind of a special case, in that it's a new game I'm picking up, but its strong support in the Japanese community means I'm comfortable I'll be getting games of it in.

1b. THAT SAID, I also want to be better, and more proactive, about organizing extra game days. I definitely want to put together my nearly-annual Epic day again this year, and organize an Advanced Space Crusade day before Yellowstreak leaves us for the wilds of Texas. My work schedule means that this sort of thing isn't always easy (sorry MtP about last month!) but that's what resolutions are for.

2. As for collecting and painting, I think I got a pretty dang good painting pace set in 2017 (about a mini every 2 days), and I actually did a very good job this year of finishing painting everything I bought - my total backlog amounts to about 4 genestealer hybrids, which is pretty good considering how much I got painted. So on the painting front, I want to stick with what I did this year.

And that's that! Basically I'm pretty pleased with what I've been doing hobby-wise in the second half or so of 2017, so I want to stick with it. Knock on wood!
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:19 pm

Bit late in the month, I realise, but I reckon I should probably write something here for posterity.

Goals for 2018:

1. Maintain a neutral hobby balance. i.e. make my hobby(ies) pay for themselves, and not spend any household money on hobby stuff. Money given as a gift is exempt from this, and goes into the hobby pot. This will mean selling minis I know I won't ever paint/use, as well as painting for profit as the opportunity presents itself. I'm including MTG in my expenditure, too, so I'd best get painting.

2. Paint the following, as I am commited to getting these done to one degree or another: Mortarion, Revenant Titan (gulp), a whole passel of plague marines/hq/poxies for 40k.

3. Complete my MTG SoI and EM collection. I'm over halfway to this already, and tbh am very much enjoying it. Should be an easy one. Doing this while adhering to point (1), on the other hand...

4. Get out to games as much as I can. Once a month is the target. Should, probably, hopefully be doable.

5. As with Prim, I think I should post more hobby stuff on naghammer. I've been pretty lax recently with regular posting, and since I am actually doing painty stuff, I should probably at least drop by with updates. Pics, too.

6. Paint 50 minis. I managed 43 in 2017, which for me is not bad, actually. Interestingly, 27 of them were for Kbear.

Bonus goals: buy something with the express goal of painting and selling it for profit, and successfully do so. Paint a gang/squad/whatever for a game other than 40k. Alter the artwork on a Magic card.

That should keep me busy, I'd say. We'll see how it goes...
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:07 am

Since we're about halfway through the year, give or take a few hours, it seems like this would be a good chance to look back at my New Year's Resolutions and see how I'm getting on.
...Or this is a terrible mistake and I'll just feel depressed and disappointed with myself by the end of it. Who knows? Onwards!

1. Post more content on this site.
Um... not really. I don't think I have posted much recently and I don't think I've done a lot of extra stuff over the past few months either.

2. Be more organised about buying>building>painting.
Ha!

3. Avoid any new projects.
Define 'new'. :D I haven't started any new games or systems, but I have bought some minis that are only vaguely related to existing armies/games.

4. Finish off some existing projects.
:oops: Yeah, that hasn't happened so far.

5. Paint an average of 30 minis per month.
Jan - 20 minis
Feb - 29 minis
Mar - 43 minis
Apr - 16 minis
May - 16 minis
June - 35 minis
Average - 26.5 minis

So, out of 5 resolutions I have achieved.... ZERO. :shock:
My painting average is close, but I'm away for two weeks in July, which will prevent me from making any progress. My 'volunteer' work for the town kumiai group has eaten up a lot of my free time that would otherwise have been spent hobbying. Fallout 4 has likewise been gobbling up the hours.
On the plus side, I have done some more terrain, counters and the like that aren't included in the above totals. Yay?

So how is everyone else doing?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby The Other Dave on Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:17 am

I'm doing OK so far!

My painting pace isn't quite what it was last year (about a mini every 3 days on average so far, compared to 2 days last year) but on the other hand there's less pressure as I'm at the "adding things on" stage for collecting 40K rather than the "collecting from scratch" stage I was at when 8th edition launched - really I'm comfortable with how much I've been painting, as I have more than enough to play and limited storage space to expand into anyway. I now have a backlog of (gasp!) 17 models, though, so I have to step that up. I did also finish up a nice-looking, fairly dense table's worth of terrain for 40K (although a big line of sight blocker for the middle would still be welcome) so that counts for something!

I've been pretty happy with my "focus on a couple games" decision (and I haven't really gotten any games of Malifaux in this year either, so it's been 40K at Nagoya and Shadespire at Ichinomiya almost exclusively), although it looks like that's going to crack as I dip the old toes into Age of Sigmar - and who knows how long my willpower will hold in the face of Adeptus Titanicus.

Not much (read: no) hobby organizing has gone on on my end - work and my writing has been pretty all-consuming - although thanks to YellowStreak we did get together an Advanced Space Crusade participation game which was a lot of fun. Maybe later on in the year.

I'm going to add a mid-year goal though, not entirely limited to hobbying but certainly related to it and how I interact with people face to face and online - be less negative! I've caught myself / been politely caught being quite the bitter pill a few times recently, and I want to cut that out. Wish me luck! :? :lol:
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント