MDF in the long term.

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work

MDF in the long term.

Postby Primarch on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 pm

In recent years MDF has become the terrain material of choice thanks to the likes of 4ground and Sarissa. I have MDF bases on minis and some movement trays made of the stuff too.

I have been giving some thought to how survivable MDF is in the long run. Japan can be a pretty humid place, which can lead to issues of rotting and warping in natural materials. I am considering going back over all of my terrain and making sure every square milometre is painted.

What do you think? A worthwhile endeavor, or am I just worrying over nothing?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: MDF in the long term.

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 am

I'd think just giving it a nice thick coat of clear varnish (which you could then cover over with matte, of course) would do the trick - that said, I have some pieces of terrain I mounted up on regular corrugated cardboard like 15 years ago which still look fine. You do read about MDF being less water-resistant than plywood, but my impression is that's mostly talking about situations where it's basically sitting in standing water, or in a damp basement or what have you.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Painting and Modelling - ペイント