The Thread Where We Share Our Single Favorite Mini of 2018

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

The Thread Where We Share Our Single Favorite Mini of 2018

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 am

Here's the rules of this thread:

1) Pick the single miniature that you painted this year that you're proudest of. Just one!

2) Post some pictures of it (or just 1, whatever).

3) If you like, say something about why you like how it turned out.

Here's mine, my AdMech Dunecrawler - it was really my first ever go at full-on weathering like this, and I went on to use the same technique on my Armigers. (It was also where I discovered that Leadbelcher spray is well worth the 2000 yen per can.)

Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 59 [0] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [65] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 [4] Titans, 6 [4] Knights

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: The Thread Where We Share Our Single Favorite Mini of 20

Post by Primarch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 am

Just one mini?
Um....

Ok, I guess this one.
An Ifrit for my (slowly, slowly) growing fantasy Arabian army. I love the model itself, a metal Reaper mini, it's nicely sculpted with lots of well defined detail. I tried to do some simple OSL on the upper body, which was a fun thing to try. It's also not something that you commonly see on the tabletop, so it has that going for it as well.

@ToD - Your Ad-mech camo is great, plus the Dunecrawlers are great models too.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 am

Primarch wrote:Just one mini?
If you could pick and choose it’d be too easy! :D
Primarch wrote:@ToD - Your Ad-mech camo is great, plus the Dunecrawlers are great models too.
Thanks! I keep thinking a second would be nice to keep it company, but there’s just so much other cool stuff to buy and paint first it keeps getting pushed down the list.

That’s a nice Ifrit too! I’ve still never got the courage up to try OSL, although I’ve got a model on the workbench that really asks for it.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:19 am

it's a toss-up between this and my nurgle defiler that I painted back in April/May. I enjoyed weathering this a lot - orks and their vehicles are definitely one of my favourite things to paint.

I haven't done much painting these last few months, but recently I've been back painting the stormcast from Nightvault (my kids are painting their Nightvault gangs that they got for christmas, so I may as well join em).
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:42 pm

The Mega-Dread is, of course, nicely painted, but I do find it a very busy looking model. Props for taking the time to do every little bit. I would have just done all the gubbins in boltgun metal, slapped on a brown wash and called it a day. Nicely done sir!

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Not a very good picture taken, especially the background colour was a poor choice as Prim mentioned a while back. The rider was not the most fun to paint, but I enjoyed painting the griffon and trying to colour it in such a way that I could blend in some of the army colours into the feathers. I knew yellow would not really work well as it would be lost or invisible applied to the brown of the feathers, so green it was. Not an original or masterful job by any means, but I am still happy with the end result. Oh, and the eyes of the griffon. I had originally planned to have a coloured iris, but I made a mistake and after I had gone over the whole eye with a base black again, on a whim I just painted in the reflection spots and stood back and had a look and really liked it. Some gloss varnish finished the eyes off. I think the all black eyes complement the aggressive pose of the model.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:44 pm

@Prim - aye, for sure, the megaD is a very busy chap indeed. Tbh, though, finding different ways to do all the metal was one of the fun things about it. I reckon its biggest issue is the lack of facial focal points. I mean, there are teef on there, but no face as such, to pull the eye to a focal point. Mortarion has the same problem, actually (ok, he has a face, but its so wee it kinda disappears amongst all the bling).

@Kbear - the green on the wings is a nice touch. The overall effect of the mini works really nicely - kind of natural overall, but with subtle touches of almost unatural colour. And the black eyes are very effective, too - gloss varnish on black works really well for a merciless look.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:14 pm

@Koji - Body of a Lion, Head of an Eagle, Fighting skills of a Pigeon if I recall correctly. :lol: Newly painted models always fare poorly on their first outing, it's a well known fact. :D We'll have to have a rematch sometime. It is a beautifully painted model though, your entire army is amazing to be honest. You chose a nice colour scheme that really looks unique and eye-catching on the tabletop.

@M_i_J - I see what you mean about the lack of a face. I guess the vision slit for the unlucky greenskin bolted inside it would be the 'eyes', but the jaw kind of obscures everything. You did a great job of it regardless of the sculptor's efforts.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:38 am

@MiJ, I remember oohing and aahing over that big fella in person. I sort of agree with Prim that FW sometimes has an issue with slapping gubbins on - very orky, but also pretty busy. (And what warbands did your kids pick for Christmas?)

@kojibear, I think what I like most about the griffon is that it's a very limited pallette - basically green and khaki. Makes for a very striking paint job, and it can be hard to pull off while keeping things visually interesting (which you did). Is the griffon itself a GW joint? It doesn't strike me as their typical style.
-----

YellowStreak
Legend
Location: The stars at night are big and bright (clap, clap, clap, clap), Deep in the heart of Texas

Post by YellowStreak » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Great minis all round guys! Picking one is hard to do, so I went with a mini that I really enjoyed painting. It may have not been my best and it was done in one evening, but it was alot of fun. It had some decals applied after this photo was taken, but the mini is in Texas and I'm in Japan so this photo will have to do!

Happy New Year all!
On the painting table:
Bolt Action Narvik Army
Necromunda Gor-liaths
Walking Dead Survivors/Zombies
Zombicide base set (so many zombies!)
Test of Honour Samurai
Rangers of Shadow Deep Rangers+Monsters
Astral Hams BigMarines

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”