Discussion Time: What is the most tedious part of the hobby?

Please link your painting and modelling projects here for feedback and to show off your work
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Discussion Time: What is the most tedious part of the hobby?

Post by Primarch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:34 pm

As the title of the thread says, what do you think is the most tedious, mind-numbing, boring or just plain troublesome part of the hobby?

"Why Prim," I hear you say, "It's responding to your posts of course!"

Well, let's take that as a given shall we.
So, what part of this hobby do you find dull, what do you do to get past it and do you have any advice to help others find the joy in their own bugbears?

For myself, I always used to find painting to be a lot of effort, but for the past few years I have found myself enjoying it more and more. This has given rise to my current issue, basing. The more I paint, the more I have to base. Putting down texture, painting it, adding flock or other scenic effects and all without getting any of it on the figure itself. It's soooo boring. Sure the model looks better once it is done, but it's an uninteresting final hurdle to overcome before the end. I've found that using Vallejo basing products helps a bit as you can avoid the mess of having loose bits of sand fall off as you are painting, but it is still a bit of a grind.

How about you? What stage of the hobby drags you down?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Discussion Time: What is the most tedious part of the ho

Post by The Other Dave » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Agreed! Base decoration is a big part of why I've stuck with clear acrylic for my whole 40K army - although I've found that the way I'm doing it for my Stormcast isn't *quite* so onerous, it's still not fun.

For me the number-one motivation killer, though, is probably not so much starting an army but "continuing to paint an army until it's usable in a supported-platoon-level 28mm* wargame". Doing a squad of 10 guys and realizing I'll have to paint two or three more squads exactly like it in order to play even a very small game is the worst, and the single factor that kept me out of 28mm historicals. When I paint super-quick (like I did at the start of the year) it'll usually be because I have a lot of different little jobs to paint, and when I hit a slow spot (like right now) it's usually because I'm working on, say, the third of a group of three almost-identical squads of space marines.

*15mm or smaller, probably because of the painting techniques involved, I can paint identical squads all day long.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 4 Knights

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:58 pm

I have two things that are a bit of a drag. Sorry to break the rules but I can’t really put one above (below?) the other my dislike (less liking? less enjoyment?).

Firstly, I don’t like putting down base colors. After priming models, putting down all the large patches of color before washes, inks, specific colors on small details and the highlights is boring and laborious. It is so unimaginative and monotonous. The worst part is you can’t see quite how the model is coming along. I’m always surprised how the model comes to life with a wash. Painting becomes rather exciting once you can see how the miniatures will take shape and everything else feels downhill even if honestly only half or less of the work is complete.

And the absolute worse is space marine trimming and Napoleonic webbing. I’m almost so dead set against painting shoulder pads and the edges of breastplates that I can’t imagine painting a whole squad of marines. (I can slog through Napoleonics if I can get excited about a certain project.)

Fortunately I’ve found podcasts and audiobooks -especially if the subject matches the model- help maintain my motivation.

Secondly, assembly is something I’m not a fan. I’m fine when the miniatures are easy to assemble kits. I’m a fan of pewter miniatures that just require me to stand up the miniature and attach one or two things. (Although the horror if something doesn’t fit and requires cutting, filing and pinning. How much blood have I shed when the knife carelessly slips? Blood for the Blood God!) Don’t get me wrong. I do like customizing a model a bit although I lack the skills of my good colleagues here and abroad. However I really dislike the part of assembling and gluing (especially with plastic glue) all the small pieces (especially on large vehicles).

So that’s my gripe.
Models Painted, 2019
32 28mm miniature
1 walker

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 am

I think acrylic bases look ok for board games, but despite my gripes about basing, I do think models look best when mounted on some suitably well dressed base.

Obviously, batch painting is not something that I have much of an issue with. I actually find it more difficult to do 10 unique individual figures than to do several units of largely identical models. I have found that keeping a 'recipe book' with a record of colours used and in what order helps with batch painting. Once I have the first wave done, I can come back to them some time later and get more or less the same results.

I agree with Job about Napoleonic webbing, though Samurai armour lacing is also a headache to do in large volumes. Thankfully it isn't an issue on every model, just those from certain genres/periods.

It's true that there is a point where a mini goes from being a chunk of plastic with paint on it and becomes a scale representation of a soldier, where it comes alive. I usually find that point is when I paint the skin on the model (usually one of the later stages for me), as it helps me connect with the figure more.

As for assembly, I despise resin in all of it's bubbly, bent out of shape, easily snapped glory. I don't mind simple metal figures with the odd extra bit here and there, but for me multi-part plastics are the best. I am not a sculptor and I can't use green stuff to save my life, but I do enjoy kitbashing and simple reposing of plastic figures. There are limits of course. Some of the new Malifaux plastics are so complex and fiddly that I can't even cut the parts from the sprue. But for the vast majority, I like playing around with plastic kits and building figures in different poses. That's probably the part of the preparation stage of the hobby that I enjoy the most to be honest.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:03 am

Primarch wrote:I think acrylic bases look ok for board games, but despite my gripes about basing, I do think models look best when mounted on some suitably well dressed base.
That's just you being, like, brainwashed by the man!

For real, though, I can see how it's not an aesthetic choice that's for everyone. I agree that a really nice base can add to the model, but like you say, doing really nice bases for a whole army is Not Very Fun.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 4 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 am

Basing is a chore if you do it last, I totally agree. I've found, though, the trick is to do the basing before the mini. Whether I'm doing 10 guys for a skirmish game or 50 guys for an army, I will pretty much always do the bases first. For small numbers I'll even buy pre-made scenic bases, as the time and effort they save is well worth the dollar or so it costs per base. For larger numbers I'll build/decorate 10 bases of my own, then cast them up. After that it's just a case of production-lining them all at once (helped out by sticking them to brown tape, sticking said tape to a board and airbrushing/big drybrushing the crap out of them. I don't batch paint minis, but I'll happily do 50+ bases in one go. I also firmly believe that a uniformly well based army has much better visual coherency than a patchwork based one (although clear bases get a pass on this one, as obvs theyre all the same and thus consistent.)

But back on topic, what do I find tedious about the hobby? Increasingly, transporting all the stuff and the pre-game prep that goes into larger games. Writing lists, re-familiarising myself with the rules, packing minis, unpacking them cos they dont fit, re-packing them, carrying all the crap you need to the station and so forth. Stuff like Shadespire has really been a revelation when it comes to ease of play. Even X-wing is easier. I mean, sure, comparing these games to 40k or whatever is like apples and oranges, but then again I far prefer apples to oranges because man, peeling those oranges and picking out all the pith is a pain in the ass, no? Sometimes convenience is a serious deciding factor.

also, re webbing and armour trim: Until you have painted all the gemstones on an eldar army, you have no idea. None. Seriously*. :shock:

*not to disparage webbing and armour trim. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass. ;)
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

kojibear
Legend

Post by kojibear » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 am

me_in_japan wrote:

also, re webbing and armour trim: Until you have painted all the gemstones on an eldar army, you have no idea. None. Seriously*. :shock:

*not to disparage webbing and armour trim. I'm sure it's a pain in the ass. ;)
Aye, sir, aye. Luckily my backwater exodites have less bling and more bone! ;)

Assembly, I find that tedious, mostly all the clipping, trimming and filing. If I’m doing conversion work I am a little more enthused, of course.

At least for my exodites, I solved the tedium by using resin jungle bases and painting them in bunches before painting the model, as MiJ suggested. Obviously it is not a cheap solution, but it sure saved precious time.

Oh, and painting eyes! I’ll almost always do it, and try to do it right - which is probably why I find myself frustrated by it!

jus

Post by jus » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:48 am

In the space of two weeks I painted and 74 zombies. This includes hand painting cobblestone designs for each one.it's fair to say I couldn't have done it without an air brush and for seasons of the walking dead. Having one , an air compressor, space to use it and sufficient ventilation, while a pain to put together pays major dividends when it comes to quality of life issues like priming and base coating (74 zombies) not to mention the advantages of zenithal highlighting. For those who find out tedious to base coat stuff, please consider investing. It's a hobby changer! Get the boring stuff done in a fraction of the time and get to fun stuff!

But ugh! Cleaning miniatures is the bane of my existence. Especially when you realize there's some you missed after priming!

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Interesting how many people find cleaning/prep to be annoying. I actually find it one of the most therapeutic parts of the hobby, as it's the one part that I can do with only half a brain, and also in my living room. I need decent light for painting so it gets done in the lonely chill of my hobby room, whereas cleaning and prep gets done in the warm cosiness of my living room whilst watching the telly, and as such is much more relaxing. Also, conversion is something I find really engaging - digging through the bitz box for that sword hilt you saw 3 years ago that came off some mini you can't even remember and then finding that it fits ex-actly how you want it to. Total yuss moment. :D
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:00 am

I have to agree with M_i_J about assembly and cleaning up minis. As I said further up the thread, I enjoy it a lot. Mould lines are something that irk me. Nothing ruins a painted model quite like a large ridge running the length of it's body. YMMV of course, but I'd rather spend time building figures than painting them.

I'd like an airbrush, but alas my better half has said no. So, when you see my figures in the painting section, remember that they were all painted the old fashioned way. :D

Return to “Painting and Modelling - ペイント”