Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Last night I finished off my last Sealed game of Eldraine, I went 5-3 again, thanks mainly to the Lochmere Serpent. Being able to make a 7/7 unblockable is pretty potent, especially in slower games like Sealed where you are likely to have built up a substantial mana base to feed it.
My last (winning) game went:
Play Serpent,
Block opponent's big 7/5 monster with the Serpent, both creatures die.
Exile the best cards from opponent's graveyard and recast Serpent.
Opponent quits. :D

Just need to wait for Ranked Draft to open now.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm

indeed. I've been using a single copy of the serpent in constructed with reasonably effective results. I'm finding that as the meta for eldraine starts to solidify, my poor little esper control is struggling. It's just not fast enough to deal with the other good decks, most of which win or lose on turn 3 or so (I mean, ultimately it may take a few more turns, but there are several decks that can have the winning pieces down by turn 3 or so). The main issue I have is the variety of wincons. eg

bant ramp - wins via Oko (a pw), or nissa (also a pw)
cat pie - wins via graveyard recursion/artifacts
golos fields - wins via land
rakdos aggro - wins via weenie assault
etc

I can build to combat one or two of these, but as soon as I fiddle my deck, I see nothing but the other decks. I guess now is not the time for esper to shine. None of the strong decks really appeal at the moment, though. Also, I lack a lot of the good eldraine cards. Looking forward to drafting and seeing what I end up with. I still have gems for one more sealed, but I'll hold off for now. No rush :)
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:55 pm

A wide variety of viable decks is a good thing though, right? If there were only a couple of top decks, then you'd see nothing else except them, and all games would just be carbon copies of each other. Plus, anything that discourages Esper Control is aces in my book. :lol:

I don't know if Ashiok's graveyard hate would be fast enough to shut down the kitty kitchen deck, but it could help. It also neatly prevents the Golos deck from searching for the land it needs, potentially buying you time to smash it's face in with your Thieves of Sanity and whatnot. Plus it fits in with your colours.

The more I play, the more I'm enjoying Limited games. Less meta-decks and more "Hey, I've never seen that before!"

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Have you tried draft yet? I'm having an abysmal time of it. 1-3, 1-3, 0-3, 2-3 so far. Blooming embarrasing, tbh. I've tried gruul aggro, blue/white flyers, and blue/black mill. I actually managed to mill one guy out, and came damn close the rest of the games. But not close enough, clearly. I'm mid-draft just now with a gruul/knight aggro deck with 3 grumgullys in it. So far, it's 3-1, so it's at least beating my average :roll:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:17 pm

I've tried two drafts so far. I went 6-3 with a mono-white deck. There were no real bomb cards in it, just Flutterfoxes and Bartered Cows. :lol: My second draft was an average 3-3 in Rakdos colours. I'll probably try another draft this weekend.

Last night I tried to clear my quests down with a few games in basic Play mode using a primarily Blue deck with Black splashed in. The deck is built around 3 Agents of Treachery and has a few Thieves of Sanity for early card theft. One of my opponents had a deck consisting of nothing but rares/mythics, Arboreal Grazers and Thought Erasures. All of their lands were M20 rare Scrylands and Lotus Fields. :shock: Around turn 5 they dropped Jace and proceeded to mill me until I got an Agent out and stole Jace. They quickly killed Jace with a Hydroid Krasis (which I then Murdered) and used Casualties of War to destroy my Agent and my land.
By the end of the game they had hit Finale of Revelation 4 times, drawing nearly every card in their deck (with no hand limit). At this point they had about 30+ cards in hand, 20 open mana and a couple of 0/3 grazers on the table. I had 4 Islands, no creatures and 11 life. On their turn they drew a card, leaving them with 6 in their library, then cast a 14/14 Hydroid Krasis without having Jace in play. :lol: :lol: :lol:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:30 am

dear god, I have never been so close to throwing my pc out the window in frustration. I eventually managed a 5-3 result, but feeeeeeeething 'ell that last game was an exercise in frustration. I swear he cast 4 of those mill merfolk, so-tiny'd me twice, run-away-together twice, flipping two millfolk back (and recasting them) while flipping my attackers into my hand, Charmed Sleep my giant, and also had Syr mill-a-lot on the table. It was...the ultimate perfect mill deck, with perfect card draw. By the end of the game I had my 3 best beaters on board, all of which were either -6/-0 or asleep. For the last 3 or 4 turns, mind you, once the board is locked and I'm clearly doomed, he plays crappy creatures. Where were they turns 1-4, eh? eh? EH!?!

Just...so annoying.

grr. :evil:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:50 pm

Some games are better off conceded, it sounds like this may have been one of them.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”