Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Tue May 19, 2020 5:17 am

I find the Brushwagg pretty useful actually. I usually try to drop a Gemrazer on it to pump it up to a 4/4 body. In following turns I can drop spare mana into it to make it a 7/7, which is a pretty hefty threat all by itself.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 am

I hadnt considered mutating onto it. Thats a good idea, actually.

In other news, did you see about this? I'm genuinely tempted, for rather a mixture of reasons. Firstly, I can actually win 7 games sometimes. I reckon I could maybe make it through to day 2 with a bit of luck. I mean, I've managed 7 wins in draft before, a few times, and this isnt any different, is it? :D Secondly, I actually do really like the godzilla lands. I have a pretty strict rule about not paying for shinies, but lands have huge utility, and theyre gorram lovely. Finally, I want to encourage wizards to do this kind of thing. A free for all event where any old lucky bugger can win a couple grand is very good, and gives people like us hope.

What do you make of it?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsi ... d56bac62c1
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue May 19, 2020 10:11 pm

New State of the Game is up: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-05-19

In summary, Historic Anthology III drops this week bringing 27 cards for 4K gems or 25K gold. It will be the last anthology this year. However, the Amonkhet re-release is on it's way this summer along with the Jumpstart set (later in the year) which includes a bunch of reprints from older sets I believe.

Alongside the anthology, Historic Ranked is being made permanently available and will count for ALL rewards in both Bo1 and Bo3.

Cube Draft starts soon as well. Unlike regular Draft, you DON'T get to keep the cards, but it does reward you with cards and gold if you win.

M21 is coming. I think July is the usual schedule for a Standard release?

The various Draft and Event schedules are updated till the end of June if there is something you're looking for. Personally I'm interested in the Rivals of Ixalan Quick Draft in mid-June.

And the Arena Open competition that M_i_J mentioned above is laid out. The entry fee and the fact that it will be Tier 1 decks throughout makes me dubious about joining. 2000 Dollars sounds nice, but winning 7 games day one and then 7 again on day two seems unlikely given my usual win rates.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed May 20, 2020 4:03 am

Bugger - I just realised that 8am-10am pacific time is midnight-2am here. On a Sunday night. The day before all the kids go back to school full time.

So, while I maaaaay still enter for shiggles and land, I’m less inclined to do so than I was ten minutes ago.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm

Today I did something a bit out of character, I built a Temur Reclamation deck. I'd seen a comment posted online about it (and have faced it before many times), but looking over the card list, I couldn't quite figure it out. So to better understand it, I built a deck based on one online and played a couple of games with it.
In game 1 I went up against a BRG Obosh deck. My opponent conceded after the first counterspell.
In game 2 I ran into a player I played a couple of days previously using a BU Flash deck. The game went on for quite a while with lots of spells being countered, but eventually I managed to get two Wilderness Reclamations to stick, threw out enough stuff to make sure he had no mana for counterspells and then hit him with a 23 mana Expansion/Explosion.
I think I have a better understanding of how the deck works now. It was fun, but quite challenging compared to my usual Aggro/Mid-range style of play. I can see it being totally hosed by RDW and other fast decks, especially in Bo1 mode.

I feel kind of dirty for net-decking though. :lol:

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”