Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:59 am

Kaya can be cast with Black mana too, though she's maybe too expensive. Blue has a few bounce options if you can drop the spear though. Callous Dismissal is nice for 2 mana as it leaves you with a handy blocker.

Every deck should have an Achilles Heel, (some of my decks have an Achilles entire Leg :cry:) or the game would devolve into everyone playing the same thing. For Grixis, Enchantments are a pain to deal with, though the Hexproof on Nine Lives is tough for any colour.

If the game is getting you down, take a break for a few days, try different modes or just play around with different colours. White Weenie, Izzet Spells or Green Stompy can all be fun. I know the game emphasizes competitive behaviour, but stop building decks to win and try just building junk decks to mess around. A change, as they say, is as good as a rest.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:06 am

September's State of the Game is up:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-09-15

Obviously it's mainly Zendikar, but it looks like Kaladesh Remastered will be here by the end of the year. Assuming that it is the same size as Amonkhet (ie 2 sets trimmed down to 1.5x a standard release), we'll have had twice as many cards released this year as last year. I'm happy to have new stuff to play with, but just keeping on top of Standard is a full time job.
I will admit to feeling a little burned out by the constant churn of releases. I was looking forward to the long Zendikar season, but now I'm kind of sceptical about it.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:42 am

huh. kinda surprised that Time Spiral Remastered is paper only. That'll be the first ever Remastered set in paper, and I find it a bit weird, tbh. It opens up aaaaaall kinds of questions about projected card value, reprint equity, and stuff like that. What will happen to the value of cards if they start "Remastering" any old set they feel like? Innistrad remastered? Lorwyn remastered? I feel itd be great for the players in the short term, in terms of increasing availability, but it'll absolutely tank the value of any non-reserved list card, because looming over every single valuable card collection is the likelihood that the cards in it will be reprinted en masse at some time. Not the kind of thing that inspires people to buy tons of packs in the hope of cracking valuable rares and selling them on/hoarding them, which in turn massively reduces the number of packs being cracked, which spikes costs for anyone who does want to buy singles. So, hmmn. Yeah. Short term good, long term disastrous.

Other than that, I'm happy to see Kaladesh come to Arena, and Pioneer masters will be a shot in the arm for Historic, for sure. It'll be Pioneer in no time! :lol: :lol:
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:19 am

Looks like Uro is on his way out.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-09-28
Of course, he's still valid in every non-standard format, but I'd like to see anybody try to ramp now... :roll:

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:59 am

Yeah, because there’s no other ways to ramp* in standard without ol’ Uro :roll:

Incidentally, this is the first ban where I didn’t get a single wild card out of it. Never owned an Uro, and likely never will.

Btw, what do you make of the Walking Dead secret lair? My feelings are...negative. Partly from an aesthetic sense that it just ain’t Magic - crossing the streams is just lazy fanboy-ing, but much more from the sense that for some goddamn reason they’ve made them legal in play for eternal formats. Whether the cards are crap or not, having something available only for a limited time that is legal in actual play is opening the doors for all kinds of shit. Nexus of Fate was a massive problem in paper magic cos nobody could get hold of it, and that was a box topper. Now, there may well be plenty of these guys to go around (it’s a popular franchise, after all) but down the line what happens when they do a Harry Potter secret lair or summation, and Dumbledore turns out to be the key card for the Modern meta in 2025?

It’s a slippery slope, I tells yer. A slippery slope...

*on which note, I made it to the end of my box of m21, and in his last packs Sean pulled a full art rare Cultivate!**

**aaaaand a full art alt Ugin. Ker-ching! 😁
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”