Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 pm

I've only had two runs at draft so far, I've not been in the mood for Arena of late. I managed a 2-3 and a 6-3, which wasn't bad. Clerics seemed to come up a lot. My 6-2 game was against clerics actually. Unfortunately the RNG had decided that I had received more than enough lands in my first few games, so I got stuck on 2 lands (of the same colour) for my opponent to leisurely build his board and then stroll over and crush me.

To make things up to me, the RNG flooded me the next three games in a row. Needless to say I switched off at that point and found something else to do.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:01 am

hmmn. Sounds a bit grim. I've been a bit disillusioned with MtG lately too, most likely due to the negativity floating around the interwebs about the secret lair/standard bannings/outlook for the future. Drafting has kinda improved things a bit, but I'm still nothing like as hyped as I was a couple months or so ago.

I suspect, speaking for myself, that being stuck at home is starting to get to folks. I really need to get out and see people more, virus or not. I find myself spending my time planning edh decks, building them (whilst spending as little as possible on them - that's part of the "game" for me), but when I finally do sleeve them up, instead of a feeling of satisfaction at a well crafted deck, I just feel a sense of pointlessness when I slot it onto the shelf beside all the other decks that havent yet seen play. It's all getting a bit frustrating, tbh. *le sigh* Hopefully things will improve in the nearish future. I mean, I appreciate that things could be worse - I talk to my folks in Scotland most weekends, and it's certainly no picnic over there just now, but still, summat's gotta change, I reckon.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:58 pm

quite enjoyed some historic games this evening. I'm a bit drafted-out, which is fine, as that's par for the course at this point in the season. I have most of the cards in the set, and a fair few wildcards for brewing with, so 's all good. I went back to playing my UB historic zombie deck. It's really surprisingly effective, at least at gold rank. Got in a good couple of Gary headshots for 15+ damage each time. Verra satisfying, yes it was :twisted:

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:21 pm

State of the Game is up for November.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2020-11-10

So it seems that WotC is finally going to patch the gaping holes in the game. Woo!
Also Kaladesh Remastered! It looks like they're going all in on human drafting and Bo3. Sadly I prefer bit drafting and Bo1. Boo. Sealed is only available for 1 week as well. Double Boo. At least we get a code for one free booster and free basic lands. WotC is going to bankrupt themselves with this uncharacteristic generosity. /s.

Some other stuff about competitive events, blah, blah, blah.

And finally Historic Brawl may be, sort of, perhaps becoming a possible thing. I won't be entering the paid event, but I may poke around the free queue. I suspect that it will be largely the same 2-3 netdecks, but who knows.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:49 pm

bugfixes: good.

free pack/lands: aye, fine, thankyouverymuch

competitive events: I'm nae convinced. I've had way too many dodgy drafts where I was screwed by a bad card pool to risk 15k gold on what'd likely be at best 3 wins or something. Plus I have no idea how to sideboard in draft.

no BO1 Kaladesh draft: meh, it was the same for amonkhet, so I'm not surprised. Disappointed, sure, but not surprised. I have a draft token just now, so I'll use that, most likely, and then maaaaaaybe pay gems for a couple more drafts. Basically I'll do what I did for Amonkhet (ie spend wildcards on the cool shit...)

Historic Brawl: Nope, not gonna pay for something that should be there anyway. Will play the heck out of it once it's there for free, though. I'm not too hopeful about the variety of decks I'll see, though, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”