Mtg arena open beta

Discussion of any trading card games. e.g. Magic, Yu-gi-oh, Gundam War, etc.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Mtg arena open beta

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Anyone (M_i_J) still playing Arena?
How are you finding the Plane-cation events? The Standard Shake-up last week was pretty good I felt because it kind of forced people into trying out different decks. This week's Landfall event wasn't as much fun sadly. Of the 13 games it took me to get my 6 wins, 6 of my opponents had Elemental/Risen Reef decks. :( I won a couple by overwhelming them with juiced up Boros flyers and board wipes, but once those elementals start to drop, it's hard to stop them.

I'm also fairly close to finishing the standard track for Mastery and I can probably hit 100 for the advanced track if I am careful.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:48 pm

oh heck yes I'm still playing. Doin' me dailies, every day.

Except when I was in Germany. So I totally missed the planecation event that week, which irks me something awful cos that was the Rebecca Guay lands one, and I really like her stuff :evil: Plus I'm now missing one out of the 5 full art lands. poop. Still, free is free, and one shouldn't grumble, I daresay :D
For the same reason (plus being in scotland) I'm only mastery level 60 or so, which means I shall certainly not be hitting 100, unfortunately. Still, should make 80 or so ny the end, which means I get value from the pass, at least. But well done you for maxing it out. Respec' *hat tip*

I quite liked the planecations, but tbh I just netdecked them and got them over with due to lack of time/interest in brewing right now. That last one I just used my usual bant ramp deck (rampy things plus half a dozen or so big hydras, both jellyfish and reg'lar varieties) and did fine. Struggled a bit with elementals, but then so does everyone, apparently (and my bant deck does have those reefs in it, too, as well as a few other elementals) :)

I've just recently spent a bunch of wildcards on a new deck, as I was getting bored with dreadhording it around, and have now started learning how the hell to use Kethis, the hidden hand. Loooots of weird decisions to make, and a lot of graveyard jiggery pokery. I'm running down my time bar quite a lot while thinking things out, which to me is a sign of a good deck (aheh, if you're playing with it. Playing against it, I can understand sitting waiting for me to work stuff out in me head is probly not the funnest thing you can do with 30 seconds of your life, but hey ho, tis good for me brain :geek: )

We should get a game in some time. How are you placed for evenings this week? Also, do you have any way for me to reach you in an instant-messengery kind of way, so we can chat while playing without the use of, y'know, voices (cos my pc is in my living room and itd bother the wife if I was sitting here, talking to meself.)

On a related note, I was lucky enough to get a couple evenings of Commander (EDH) with my brother and his mates while in Scotland. Oh my lawdy, but that is the format for me. Casual, fun, lots of laughs, mahoosive silly combos that either win the game or make everybody at the table furrow their brows trying to work out how the hell it all interacts until they give up and just wing it. Also multiplayer, which is a nice bonus. It's much, much more like how we all wargame as a group (ie we play for mutual enjoyment of the game, not to WAAC, and is a huge tonal shift from regular, Standard magic (as played on Arena, at least.) Obviously it requires the right people to play against, but I'd sell my granny for a chance to play that around here. Although, as a bonus, I wouldnt have to sell anything to afford the cards, as for some reason Commander isnt that popular in Japan, so all the in-demand commander cards are about half the price here compared to the US. Less, sometimes. I got a 7 dollar card for 100en the other day. Quite chuffed :)
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder that Kethis is the netdeck du jour this week. I'll be sure to tuck some extra Ashiok, Dream Renders into my decks just in case. :D Playing against decks that max out their time bars isn't an awful lot of fun, but as you get used to it, you'll no doubt speed up. Most of my decks tend towards Aggro/Mid-range, turning cards sideways and attacking doesn't really require an awful lot of thought.

Yeah, I should hit 100, but that's mainly due to spending most of my free time playing. For the next set, I doubt I'll be as diligent. I really do have other things to be doing. Assembling minis, painting, sleeping at night, things like that. :lol:

As I am sure I have said before, I'm not a fan of netdecking. (nor netlisting for wargames). I'd much rather play some jank filled homebrew tbh, but if you are aiming to get higher than Gold rank, tried and proven decks are the way to go I guess. From down in the gutters of unranked play all of those players using netdecks to clear their dailies are kind of a drag though. Running across the same deck 10 games in a row just because some streamer somewhere won a game with it is boring. There are over 2000 unique cards in the game at the moment, it would be great to see more than the same handful being used every time. /rant.

As far as gaming goes, I should be free this evening after 9 and probably on Friday as well. I need to clear a couple of dailies today, so I'll be logging in at some stage. I have Skype on my PC, but flicking back and forth between that and Arena to type messages seems like a hassle if you don't want to use voice chat. Isn't spamming "Ooops" enough for you? :lol: You have my phone number, right? A quick email between turns would probably work.

As for EDH/paper magic. It sounds fun, but I'm trying really, really hard to resist the temptation to get back into paper. I don't have a problem playing, but I know once I start I'll end up with half a rainforest worth of cards in my room and a second mortgage on my house.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:15 am

Didn't realise Kethis was a deck du jour - I only ever came up against it once, and that was in my last game. Since the deck itself includes Ashiok, things got nasty, fast :lol: Incidentally, have you ever come up against a scapeshift deck? Cos I hear it's numero uno most popular deck, and I have never, ever seen it, not even in the landfall event.

I'll be taking my kids up for their bedtime story soon, so maybe half nineish I may be around. My availability will depend a bit on whether the missus is wanting to watch Stranger Things or not, but I'll let you know.

re. comms - any chance you could install Line or Whatsapp on your phone? It'd make life significantly easier. Or are you stoically resisting the rise of the machines and are still using a non-smart phone?
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am

I saw the Kethis list on Channel Fireball, so I'm sure a lot of people will be trying it out.
I have seen more than enough scapeshift/field of the dead decks to know that you either kill them before they hit it, have a board wipe in hand, or concede. In the Landfall event I mainly saw Gate decks and elementals though.

It's not technology that I'm against, it's social media. :)
I have a smartphone and have done for some time now. I can't see us needing to send many messages once we start playing, unless it's for me to tell you to get a bleeding move on with your ultra-fiddly deck. :D

ashdevon
Rookie

Post by ashdevon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:46 pm

I love this thread and how it's escalated to full on dedication over the past year.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:17 pm

Oh, you wouldnt believe how much magic I've played since you went back to England, mate. The things I've seen... :shock:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:47 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:17 pm
The things I've seen... :shock:
Yeah, there was this one guy I faced last night. The most win-at-all-costs, cheese-filled decks I have ever seen.
:lol: :lol:
There is a fair amount of variety to the game, which helps keep it fresh. Even the most popular netdecks make up a fairly small proportion on the game in un-ranked play. If you're into MtG, give it a try, it's free.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:47 am
Yeah, there was this one guy I faced last night. The most win-at-all-costs, cheese-filled decks I have ever seen.
*clears throat* ahem...
me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:13 pm
I felt rather inspired by your list there, so I went off and made my own version.
...and ye shall reap what ye sow...

Srsly, though, that deck yesterday was the discard one you suggested a few pages back, with the minor tweaks I mentioned at the time...
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:55 am

me_in_japan wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 am
Primarch wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:47 am
*clears throat* ahem...
me_in_japan wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:13 pm
I felt rather inspired by your list there, so I went off and made my own version.
...and ye shall reap what ye sow...

Srsly, though, that deck yesterday was the discard one you suggested a few pages back, with the minor tweaks I mentioned at the time...
Who said I was talking about you? I played 8 other games yesterday. Guilty conscience perhaps? :lol: :lol:
And adding a whole new colour is hardly a minor tweak. It's quite a significant change to the overall structure of the deck.

Return to “Card Games - カードゲーム”