NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

Re: NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

Postby komura on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 am

I’d like to question you of very basic in new 40K rule set.
I obtained basic rule PDF and imperium index.
I noticed there is no longer use templates.
At matched play game, I know I should sum up total point of units.
But a question raise. Are there no restrictions of unit type as previous rule?
I remember battle forged army should have 1HQ and 2Trrops.
I suppose new one don’t have such a restriction. Theologically, the player can build Leman Russ only army or Valkyrie only army. Is my understanding right? Let me know.
komura
Veteran

Postby job on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:58 am

komura wrote:I’d like to question you of very basic in new 40K rule set.
I obtained basic rule PDF and imperium index.
I noticed there is no longer use templates.
At matched play game, I know I should sum up total point of units.
But a question raise. Are there no restrictions of unit type as previous rule?
I remember battle forged army should have 1HQ and 2Trrops.
I suppose new one don’t have such a restriction. Theologically, the player can build Leman Russ only army or Valkyrie only army. Is my understanding right? Let me know.

Komura-san,

Someone else might explain more clearly later. I'll write a few simple answers now.

1) Probably it is best to get hold of the rulebook as it includes formation rules and mission rules. There is also an "Imperial Guard" Codex now, however you can still use the Index if you like.
2) You can play 2 ways: Power points or regular points. The PP are on the data sheet in the upper right corner. The regular points are in the back of the book. For regular points, don't forget to add the points for the weapons on the tank or figure.
3) You can now bring different formations. They are all in the rule book. Having formations will give you Command Points to use on stratagems. At Nagoyahammer, you need at least one formation. You can have at most 2 formations.
4) the most basic formation is 1 HQ + 1 Troop choice (Patrol). The other common formation is a Battalion formation (2 HQ + 3 Troop choices). There are others.
5) If your whole army are in formations, you get an extra 3 Command Points. Also all units in a formation must have the same faction words like: "Imperium" or "Adeptus Astartes".

Outside of Nagoyahammer, yes you can bring "unbound" armies, but most people aren't playing that way. I think most people like to play in formations.
Models Painted, 2018
2 28mm
3 Robots
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby The Other Dave on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 pm

job wrote:Outside of Nagoyahammer, yes you can bring "unbound" armies, but most people aren't playing that way. I think most people like to play in formations.

Komura-san: The main reason for this is really because "unbound" formations are very weak, as they lose access to stratagems and chapter tactics.

Basically, the formations you can get are:

Patrol: 1 HQ, 1 Troop, 0 command points
Batallion: 2 HQ, 3 Troops, +3 command points
Vanguard: 1 HQ, 3 Elites, +1 command point
Spearhead: 1 HQ, 3 Heavy, +1 command point
Outrider: 1 HQ, 3 Fast Attack, +1 command point
Brigade: 3 HQ, 6 Troops, 3 Elites, 3 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Support, +6 command points

To be legal, all units in a formation have to share a single keyword. If everything in your army is made of legal formations, and all units in your force also share a keyword, you get +3 command points. Command points are used for stratagems, which can be really powerful.

So you could have an all Leman Russ army! For about 750 points / 40 power, you could have a Tank Commander in a Leman Russ (HQ) and 3 Leman Russes (Heavy Support) for a legal formation that gives you a bonus command point.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby komura on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 am

Thank you for your advice!
komura
Veteran

Postby asrayel on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
job wrote:Outside of Nagoyahammer, yes you can bring "unbound" armies, but most people aren't playing that way. I think most people like to play in formations.

Komura-san: The main reason for this is really because "unbound" formations are very weak, as they lose access to stratagems and chapter tactics.

Basically, the formations you can get are:

Patrol: 1 HQ, 1 Troop, 0 command points
Batallion: 2 HQ, 3 Troops, +3 command points
Vanguard: 1 HQ, 3 Elites, +1 command point
Spearhead: 1 HQ, 3 Heavy, +1 command point
Outrider: 1 HQ, 3 Fast Attack, +1 command point
Brigade: 3 HQ, 6 Troops, 3 Elites, 3 Fast Attack, 3 Heavy Support, +6 command points

To be legal, all units in a formation have to share a single keyword. If everything in your army is made of legal formations, and all units in your force also share a keyword, you get +3 command points. Command points are used for stratagems, which can be really powerful.

So you could have an all Leman Russ army! For about 750 points / 40 power, you could have a Tank Commander in a Leman Russ (HQ) and 3 Leman Russes (Heavy Support) for a legal formation that gives you a bonus command point.

New FAQ is out! Batallion is +5 command points and Brigade is +12.

https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-c ... 018_en.pdf
asrayel
Rookie

Previous

Return to Past Events