The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Postby Primarch on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:17 pm

Watched episode 1 of the new Punisher series. :D
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm keen to watch The Punisher, too. Was going to tonight, but ended up watching American Gods with the missus. Currently just finished episode 4.There's some wierd shit in that show, lemme tell you. Very good, mind you, but wierd.

Also, we finished up watching Stranger Things season 2 a couple days ago. Kinda makes one glad to be alive in this particular age. How many good TV shows are there right now? I mean, srsly :?
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:56 pm

me_in_japan wrote:How many good TV shows are there right now? I mean, srsly :?

Srsly? Rlly srsly? :D
Too many if I'm being honest. I'm currently watching Punisher, Gotham, Last Kingdom and Star Trek. New seasons of Agents of Shield and Vikings are coming soon as well. There are loads of good shows mentioned in this thread that I have yet to make time for. It's kind of overwhelming, though in a good way. That said, less good stuff to watch would probably have a positive impact on my painting speed.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm

Finished watching a couple of things recently. First up: Star Trek: Discovery.

Overall, pretty good, actually, imho. I'm not a big fan of Trek, but this one kept me watching to the end. Good acting, good characters (especially Lorca, but generally everyone is pretty good.) Interesting plot, and I enjoyed the alternate reality stuff. Worth a watch, if you haven't already.

Second, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (season 2)

I like this show quite a lot. Dirk is annoying as hell, and while I appreciate it's deliberate (and mentioned frequently by other characters) it's still annoying. Fortunately everybody else on the show is really rather well played. Good acting across the board, interesting characters, and an enjoyably silly plot that I was pleased to say I could not predict in the slightest. Also, Alan Tudyk is in it, and that's always a good thing. Overall, very much recommended.
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I've got one episode left of Discovery to watch, so hopefully I'll find time for that over the weekend. I am a big fan of Trek, but it has held my interest well enough. It's different from what has come before, darker for sure, but still the same in many ways. Lorca is definitely my favourite character on the show, Jason Isaacs is a top notch actor. The rest of the cast seem to fit together fairly well, with no Wesley Crusher or Jake Sisko around to screw up the first season.

I've been hearing the name Altered Carbon bouncing around the interwebs a lot, so I reckon I may give that a look once I finish ST:D. (Dang that abbreviation is poorly thought out). :lol:
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Lovejoy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 am

Thinking of giving Discovery a whirl next myself. Trek is something I've obviously always been aware of all my life but have never really explored deeply. I grew up with TNG on BBC2 but only half watched it while eating dinner after school sorta thing, maybe the new series will be a good entry point.

I've tried a couple of the new netflix FBI criminal profiling dramas. Mindhunter I found to be very good indeed, despite the slightly rubbish title. Really gripping, slickly presented and quirkily written. Not your typical procedural crime drama, thanks probably to heavy involvement from David Fincher (producing and directing some episodes). Very much in the vein of his Zodiac movie.
This led me to try out Manhunt: Unabomber, but aside from Paul Bettany's performance it really didn't hold a candle to Mindhunter for me. It was a big mistake to concentrate on the search for and conviction of one killer over eight hours of episodes, I feel. What shouldn't have been dull quickly became so. It also seemed full of the sensational stock tv tropes we would expect from CSI or similar.
Certainly recommend the former though, despite the at times very unpleasant subject matter.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG
Lovejoy
Legend

Postby Primarch on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 pm

I watched episode 1 of Altered Carbon last night. It's a cyber-punk style crime thriller, with some fairly obvious inspiration from Blade Runner.

As a brief plot synopsis:
In the future a technology is developed that allows human brains to be stored electronically and then uploaded into new bodies. Permanent death can only occur if you destroy the storage device in the base of the neck. A deceased convict is uploaded into a new body by a super-rich recluse and tasked with solving a murder, that of the recluse himself.

There are a few actors in it that I recognize, though nobody all that famous. The special effectslook cool and there is plenty of hi-tech action and violence in the first hour of the story as they introduce the characters.

I'm definitely going to watch the rest of the series.
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:42 am

coincidentally, I too watched ep 1 of Alterered Carbon this afternoon. Basically, what Prim says. Another comparison would be: Deux Ex: the TV show, with elements of Infinity. It's slickly handled, though, with enough enigmatic mysterious shenanigans to make you (well, me, at least) want to watch more.
2018 totals
minis
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby YellowStreak on Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:51 am

I just finished watching the new Star Trek. I'm a longtime fan who grew up watching the Original series on Sunday afternoons (reruns of course!).

I quite liked it. They did a lot of different things from past series, and I can understand why 'canon-obsessed' fans may take issue with some of the technology upgrades but I an look past it all.

If you're a fan of the original series though, check out "Star Trek Continues" on YouTube, a very professionally done fan-made series.
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby job on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:47 pm

I can't comment about the new Star Trek or anything particularly on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon's streaming service, however I did watch a great cinematization of the Helsreach audiobook. You can find it on YouTube under a search for "Helsreach movie". It was published in episodes and it is clearly an evolving project for the creator. The first portions are in rough cg shading probably over images produced by the Dawn of War II engine, however, the last portions are rendered in increasing quality. It works really well in my opinion and it certainly was a good match for beer and sembei after a long day of work. Maybe some of you guys have seen it already, but if you haven't, like the 40k universe and have some spare time, I'd recommend it.
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Destroyer of Worlds

PreviousNext

Return to Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題