The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 pm

Never heard of The Boys before now. Looks interesting, I have to say...
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:03 am

Mike the Pike wrote:For Prim...(and any other interested parties)

I thought they’d never be able to make ‘Preacher’, but they did, and it was pretty good.

I thought well, yeah but surely they’d never be able to make ‘the Boys’, but...

https://youtu.be/CD46c08MsHg
More wholesome family fun. :lol:
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

ashdevon
Rookie

Post by ashdevon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:31 pm

Just finished Cobra Kai. Loved it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/episodes

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 pm

ashdevon wrote:Just finished Cobra Kai. Loved it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7221388/episodes
Yeah, that was awesome. I would never have imagined a follow up to Karate Kid would be that good.

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat May 18, 2019 1:39 pm

I spent the better part of a day binge watching most of Cobra Kai Season 2. Now I have to wait almost a year to see the resolution to the season finale. :cry:
Despite the rather lame sounding premise of The Karate Kid, but 30 years later, it is a really good show. If you are not already watching it, you should give it a shot.

I also just finished Star Trek: Discovery season 2. It's different from previous Trek's but the underlying principles are still there. Decent acting, a reasonably good story arc and some nods to the original pilot episode have made it an enjoyable show to watch. It's probably worth your time to see the 4 episode Short Treks series before watching season 2 though, a couple of them tie in with later episodes.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat May 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I enjoyed S2 of Discovery. Far more watchable than most other treks.

What exactly is Kobra Kai, anyway? And where can I watch it, since peeps are saying it's so good?
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I enjoyed S2 of Discovery. Far more watchable than most other treks.

What exactly is Kobra Kai, anyway? And where can I watch it, since peeps are saying it's so good?
It's based on the characters from The Karate Kid, but all grown up now. Daniel Larusso is now a successful businessman with a wife and two kids. Johnny Lawrence, the 'bad' kid from the first movie is an odd-jobs man with an ex-wife and delinquent kid who hates him. After a run in with a group of bullies and their victim, Johnny agrees to teach a local kid karate to toughen him up and ends up re-opening the Cobra Kai dojo. Honestly, I was never a huge fan of the movies, but this show is worth a look.
The show is being produced by YouTube. If you don't have a premium account, they have said that the show should be watchable if you are willing to put up with some ads. I think the first couple of episodes are free to watch without ads though.

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun May 19, 2019 2:50 am

Hmmn. I can barely recall even seeing the karate kid when I was young. That said, I’m willing to give things a try. Certainly, it’s interesting in that it’s the first tv show I’ve been made aware of that’s YouTube produced.
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:02 am

I just finished watching season 1 of The Boys. It's different from the comics, but close enough to be well worth watching. I thoroughly recommend it. :D

ashdevon
Rookie

Post by ashdevon » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am

All up to date on Vikings.
I must say I'm enjoying it although the last season was a little dull. These seasons always seem to start and end well but really drag in the middle I find. Just picked up GOT season 8 after finishing the books and have enjoyed the first episode. I've also borrowed the Blood and Fury book published in 2018 which delves into the history of Westeros, it looks like I might have another Silmirillian on my hands.

In terms of TV I'm experiencing epic saga burn out. A little like open world burn out in video games. Both require a big ass and a lot of sitting.
I worked out that since about 2012/13 I've been invested in GOT, Vikings, Orange is the new black, The Expanse and The Walking Dead. Breaking Bad was the best of the bunch and I particularly liked Sons of Anarchy. Couldn't really get on with Preacher and kind of forced my way through a lot of the Marvel stuff on Netflix.
That said I'm looking forward to finishing GOT and then having a bit of a break from big TV series. Probably going to hold off so I can get some painting and reading done. Less free time these days due to my 9 - 5. Not all bad but I need to be selective rather than binging on every series that comes out and burning out on the weekends as a result. Oh those days of four to five lessons a day over an afternoon 1pm - 6pm. Golden age indeed. :)

Stranger Things was fun but again could have done without the pulling at emotional heart string episodes midway through. Again an amazing start and end to the season. I like Stranger Things for the nostalgia so always prefer the first few episodes of each season. The nondescript Lovecraftian horror of The Upside-down needs to be better explored I think as it's not really doing anything for me at the moment. The swamp scene in Never Ending Story is far scarier than anything I've seen in the series so far. Those critters are horrible though.

Have seen the first episode of Season Kobra Kai and am looking forward to watching that. As a nostalgia show I'm not sure how it would be watching that without the Karate Kid nostalgia MiJ. Might be a bit weird but it could work I guess. At least try to watch Karate Kid 1 before seeing the series maybe. You live in Japan and have not seen Karate Kid! How did that happen? ;)

OK that's gonna do it :)

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”