The Book Thread

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。

Re: The Book Thread

Postby Konrad on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 am

The Other Dave wrote:I recently read The City & The City by China Mieville. I'm not actually such a huge fan of Mieville - "urban fantasy" doesn't do much for me, and I found the Bas-Lag books more than a tad overwrought. The thing about The City & The City, though, is that Mieville having written it is sort of a red herring. In the end, it's not really a fantasy novel at all, and everything is explicable without relying on magic (well, aside from the magic of psychology and social conditioning, I guess). Rather than urban fantasy, it's instead a really good post-Soviet Eastern European police procedural with a neat psycho-political twist. Good stuff!

Never read any Mieville....no wait, the "Moby Dick hunting giant moles from trains" one? Did I finish it? Can't remember. Noticed there was a Mieville book in the school library of all places. Japanese of course, probably a bit over my head.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Re: The Book Thread

Postby YellowStreak on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:41 pm

I've been reading stuff that may not float the boats of most board members, but are up my alley...

Worm - the first digital war - the story of the Conficker virus (I'm sure we all remember that one! What? Just me? OK.... :lol: )
Brute Force: Cracking the Data Encryption Standard - the story of how DES was cracked. Good cryo-history read.
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Previous

Return to Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題