A Wargamers journey to Mecca.

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。

Re: A Wargamers journey to Mecca.

Postby me_in_japan on Mon May 27, 2013 1:20 am

Damn dude - 7 minutes a turn is hardcore. Which, I suppose, is the point. Best of luck to you in the tourney - I know there's no way I could pull anything out of that kind of gaming environment, but I'll be here on the sidelines cheering you on :)

Incidentally, despite playing bugger all games of warmachine recently, I'm still quite keen on the game. I've spent the last week or two assembling trollbloods till my fingers bleed (er, literally in one case. Damn drill bit :evil: ). I'm hoping to even get some of em painted before the new Eldar arrive and obliterate all available painting time...
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Mon May 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, MIJ. My local wargaming groups (I now belong to three) usually play Steamroller. It has a bit of a short timed-turn (also 7 minutes, but at the 35 point level, you get 10-minute turns at 50 points), but the real danger is the (unseen) game clock which is between 61 and 79 minutes.

But, in this Hardcore format, the turns are 7 minutes and you have to activate and move 50-points worth of models! The (unseen) game clock is between 91 and 109 minutes, so there is virtually no possibility of runnng out of time. The single central scoring zone and kill box do not provide control points, but instead damage the opposing caster (with "unpreventable" damage) which further encourage players to get, not only their armies, into the center of the board, but also their warcasters/warlocks. If both players warcasters/warlocks are inside the killbox, they are only 20 inches apart, max! If both warcasters/warlocks are trying to dominate the zone, they are 12" apart, roughly (depending on the angle). Overall, this means both players bring everything non-shooty up into the zone - incudng their casters/locks - and duke it out really quickly. Positioning and screening become soooooooooooooo important at these times and a mistake will likely cost you the game. We were finishing 50-point games in like 30-40 minutes, tops!

The good thing is it lets you get a lot of practice in. I just need a lot more practice!

Danguinius

P.S. Keep at it with the Trolls. I can`t wait to see how you paint them.
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby Danguinius on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:55 am

Saturday and Sunday I got two more games in (50 points - hardcore format). One was against Gannon`s Cygnar. Normal I don`t approve of Cygnar-on-Cygnar violence, but in this case it was good training. He`s most likely going to bring Nemo2 as his caster for Hardcore. His list is still in the tweaking stages; he knows he needs to put a lot of jacks in the list to take advantage of Nemo2`s feat and to last in the hardcore scenrio (where everything kind of needs to pile into the middle and still protect the caster. It was a good battle, but we both forgot a lot and made a lot of (simple) mistakes.

I got another game in against a Shimane player who used a Karchev (Khador) list. He is still learning the game and the timed turns were a bit overwhelming for him, but it was still a fun battle. Afterwards we talked about each others lists and tactics. For a player with not much experience, I thought his list was pretty solid and only needed to be tweaked a bit. I got some practice (with encouraging results) against a high-armor list; he had 3 heavies and Karchev sporting armor at 19-21 each. This is usually difficult for Cygnar to deal with (and my pillow-fisted damage rolls), but my current list has the Hunter and combined-ranged attacks from the Long Gunners to soften targets up and an Ironclad and the Stormwall for punching stuff out.

Still, I need more practice against as many different opponents as possible. Gen Con is two months away, but I think I`ll only have 2-3 more wargaming days before then.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby Danguinius on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:48 am

Well, last weekend I got another "training day" in. I lost 3 out of 4 battles, but two of those losses were due to bad positioning of my caster and were otherwise "winable" games. My turns are getting faster and smoother with each practice game. I only ran out of time on one turn in one game. That`s pretty good. One good thing about this format is how fast the games are. I played four games and helped two noobs play yet another (non-timed) game and probably could have fit in yet another game. I now believe all wargames need to be timed. I can`t believe I used to play long 3-4 hour battles.

Only Gannon and myself will attend Gen Con (and the Hardcore tournament), and all of our local players have been very supportive. They have been willing to do practice games with us in this difficult format. I think I`ll have the opportunity to get in one more pick up game this week or next week with a local player and then 3-4 games later in the month when I go down to Iwakuni and that`s it. That`ll be the end of my prep for Gen Con.

After that, we`ll focus on our steamroller tournament her in Fukuyama in October. Already there is a lot of buzz about it. I think we`ll have close to 15-16 players (and maybe more). Steamroller is a much more agreeable format (than Hardcore) and the local players all want to start practicing with the steamroller 2013 rules when I get back from Gen Con. But for now, all I can focus on is Hardcore and how I can improve my play.

I have finalized my list. Here`s what it looks like for people who are familiar with Cygnar.

Captain Haley (-5)
Stormwall (19)
Ironclad (7)
Squire (2)
10 Long Gunners (10)
5 Tempest Blazers (10)
The Black 13th (4)
Arlan Strangeways (2)
Stormsmith (1)

I decided to drop AT Gun Mages with marshalled Hunter and add the Black 13th and Tempest Blazers. I lose a few shots as well as bit of armor-cracking (from the Hunter) and anti-stealth (all AT Gun Mages ignore stealth if you take the unit attachment)...but I gain better shots ("brutal" Black 13th shots), different anti-stealth with Lynches Fire beacon ability and I gain a lot of board coverage and better anti-infantry with the Tempest Blazers. The Blazers move 9" (run 18") can shoot 10" (and electro-leap for auto-hits another 4") and get a 5" light cavalry move at the end of all that. They also have pathfinder...so in each of my battles, they got into my opponent`s backfield and took shots of opportunity all along the way - often in my opponent`s back arc. I still have good anti-armor options with the Stormwall (duh!), the Ironclad and CRAs from the Long Gunners. All in all, it`s a fairly balanced list with above average shooting and a debilitating spell (temporal barrier) against melee-centric armies. It`s biggest weakness appears to be other armies that shoot well (or better).

I probably won`t alter the list further, but I definitely need more practice...I just don`t have the opportunities.

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby me_in_japan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 am

Best of luck, mate. It's all getting a bit technical for me, now. I'm still at the kind of army-selection stage where I go "let's have one of those. Never used it before - might be int'restin'." :)
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 am

Just to let everyone know: Gen Con rocks. I had a great time and it was worth every penny.

I played in a great Monsterpocalypse battle royal on a custom map that was roughly 4 times as large as the normal maps. My King Kondo (Empire of the Apes) secured victory on the last phase of the game!

I also played in my first Warmachine/Hordes tournament (Hardcore: one list, 50 points, fully painted, 70 minute time limit, 7 minute turns, no lunch break). I ran into the eventual tournament winner (Chuck) in the second round and he kicked my butt thoroughly. But I finished a very respectful 3-1 to represent Japan well.

I will be adding more detailed entries describing some of the things I saw there and I will hopefully add some of my photos as well...but this will take some time.

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am

Respect to the Dan for doing his best :) Glad to hear you had a good Gen Con. Btw, is it a hard or a soft "G"?
2018 totals
minis
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:42 pm

MIJ,

It`s pronounced "Jen" Con.

BTW, they had both of the limited addition "cheesecake" models (Druid Gone Wilder & the Khador one you wanted) along with a new one ("Keg protector"), but there was a long line and I arrived in the evening on the first day of Gen Con...so I couldn`t secure one for you. I did check out the Privateer Press Booth/Store on the third day I was there, but they were out of most of the new/early/limited stuff (Butcher 3, new Trollblood Merc Jack Marshal, Keg protector, etc.). I did manage to get Trollblood Warders (but they were already out of plastic Trollblood Champions). I`m putting them together now; they will hit like a truck filled with bricks.

More to come in this thread next week.

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:53 pm

Well, ye live and learn. I've been pronouncing it "Gen" (as in "tale of Genji") for years. Ta for checking out the PP booth, and no worries about the Khador lass. I appreciate the queues at these things can be like unto the tail of a leviathan. :)
2018 totals
minis
Magic cards
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Danguinius on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 am

The lines for a lot of things (including PP exclusives and Gen Con merchandise) were quite long, and (not surprisingly) a lot of the sought-after stuff was sold out by the second or third day. So, if you want the good stuff, you have to wait in those endless lines, I guess. It was my first Gen Con, though, and I want to walk around and see stuff, play games, meet people, and take pics.

Here is the official thread (on PP`s site) about the Hardcore tourney at Gen Con. You can see me and Gannon`s names in there up through round 4.

http://privateerpressforums.com/showthr ... 3-Hardcore

Danguinius
Danguinius
Champion

PreviousNext

Return to Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題