Pet Projects and Gaming Opportunities

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。

Pet Projects and Gaming Opportunities

Postby Primarch on Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:16 am

It seems like ages since I made a long-winded, rambling rant of a post (probably only been a couple of days though), so I'd like to share some thoughts and discussions I've been having recently.

A post was made the other day about what we, as a community, would do if GW rolled over and died. 40K and Fantasy are games that pretty much everyone (with a few exceptions) plays locally and that are common throughout our groups. Whilst I can't see the games dying out, community support can only keep a game alive for so long before players drift away to other things. As things stand, 40K is seen less and less at Joshin and the Fantasy campaign seems to be the only time we see WFB armies being pushed around. This splintering of common games isn't too bad yet, but there are games that people buy and want to play, but can't seem to get games of. What are our options? Where do we go from here?

Option 1 - My Way or the Highway.
There are a fair number of regular and semi regular players at Joshin, plus those members of the forum who occasionally manage to drop by for a game or two. If everyone plays different games, it can be difficult to set up matches and find opponents. One option we have is to decide exactly which games are going to be available at an event. This can be done on a month to month basis, (e.g. March is only 40K), allowing people to turn up with exactly the right toys to play with. But this causes problems if people can't attend on that date. Or we can do it as just a limit of 4-5 games which are ok for Joshin, again iving people a higher chance to find an opponent, but stopping anyone from bringing in a new game. Not the best solution, but one I have heard of being implemented at other groups.

Option 2 - It's my army and I'll play if I want to.
Some people currently have pet projects going on, where they collect everything needed to play and provide it for anyone who wants to join in. I have my Romans and Celts for Hail Caesar and my Anglo-Zulu War for Black Powder, TOD has his Advanced Space Crusade, Jus is working on his own secret project right now. This is, as you can probably imagine, very expensive. For me, the appeal lies in being able to build the armies my own way, avoiding things I don't like (or in my case, following some historic army lists). The trouble comes when it is time to get a game in. Not everyone shares my passion for the AZW. Lovejoy posted a suggestion for a reciprocal wargaming scheme on another forum we both frequent and I think it could be a great idea. If I have a game I want to play and you have a game you want to play, why don't we agree to play each other's games? It gives us both a chance to get our toys onto the table and enjoy using them. It may even inspire people to take up the game themselves. Of course, you have to be willing to act as a teacher as your opponent may not be familiar with the system.

Option 3 - All together now.
The third option is for 2 players or a group to work together towards a common goal. I believe that right now Job and Voss are working on early war armies for Flames of War. They have selected armies which historically opposed each other and are working towards the same points values. This helps to spread the costs and works if everyone is interested in the same period. I've heard of gaming clubs in the UK and US where the club works together on a project, everyone buying into the same period and system, building and painting two vast armies and then playing big games with a dozen players a side. Sometimes the project isn't that interesting for everyone involved, but they still take part out of a sense of community spirit and knowing that the next big project might be the one they've always wanted to do. Some groups even spread the work around a bit to take advantage of the varying skills in the group. One guy assembles minis, others paint them, someone bases them, a couple of people do the terrain. I can see this system working well for bigger games rather than skirmish games, but really there's no limitation to it. I know there are other periods I would like to try and players who have an interest in them, so maybe this is an option.

Anyway, GW isn't going anywhere just yet, 40K/FB remain fairly popular and I still have a horde of Zulus to paint, I just wanted to get this out there and see what people think.
So what would you like to see in the future? What's your take on all the new games out there? Is this the golden age of gaming or the collapse of the empire? Just who was that masked man? Answers and opinions below. Thanks for reading.
P.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Pet Projects and Gaming Opportunities

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 am

It's probably no surprise to anyone that I like option 2 - but then again I like playing lots of different games. Option 1 would probably essentially shut me out of Joshin, since my favorite games almost certainly don't fall in the top 5. Option 3 would be nice, I suppose, but again I'm fairly confident (like your AZW project) that it might be a wee bit hard to find someone willing to collect 6mm Persians for my 6mm Spartans to have it out with just because I'm jazzed about the Warmaster Ancients ruleset. :D

Personally, I think the more games are played the better. I remember the first few times my buddy and I played Warmachine at the local gaming store when it was just getting started - the number of people who categorically turned up their noses at it since it wasn't GW was disheartening (heck, we even got comments that "it's just like playing 40K except you're just using terminators," which if you know anything about Warmaching you know is about as far from the truth as it's possible to get). Openness to new games, and openness to a mindset of playing around and trying new things can only be good, I think.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby kojibear on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Certainly something worth discussing, and as you say, an issue with perhaps no best answer.

In 2010, I met Me_in_Japan and Primarch. Little did I know that in four years time I would have two fantasy armies, two 40k armies, a warmachine and malifaix crew, and now 2 Bolt Action platoons. More than that though, little did I know that I would make some really good friends.

For me this is a community. I have played games I didn't really have much knowledge or desire for - such as 40k epic and Black Powder. I have also played games I have lots of knowledge and desire for - such as X-Wing the board game and the Battle Star Galactica board game.

I am willing to be a part of all these games if I can and am able, because I see it as a kind of reciprocation. I also see that sharing in another's person's interest and joy is a gift that I can easily give to my friends. True - I have sometimes prioritized my time and devoted more of it to the games I want to play. But the awareness of the games that the other members of our group like to play is always at the back of my mind. Last weekend at Joshin, I was really in the mood for Malifaux, I had painted my stuff and was ready to go, but there was another person who really wanted some bolt action - you see what I did there ;)! Anyway, I was willing and able to play Bolt Action and enjoyed the time spent with friends. I think this willingness to...I don't know...go with the flow and enjoy the time spent together is important. I also respect that we spend a lot of money and effort to get the games and models we love ready and can get frustrated when we can't get them on a table to play. I guess we have to strive for the balance of the two.

I think I will try harder if I can to get involved with more of the other varied games that you guys love.

So I guess for me a mix of option 2 and 3 seems great.
kojibear
Legend

Postby Lovejoy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:39 pm

I also like a mixture of 2 and 3, but as Prim mentioned, 2 could (should, maybe) really be a reciprocal thing. I thought that it might be worth our starting a thread whereby we set out what we would really like to play, but have few opportunities to get on the table. Agree to help each other and have a gaming exchange. Each player obviously will have to provide all the necessaries for their game,and have a reasonable knowledge of the rules, faction models etc.
In my case for example, I've been keen to find people to give Dredd a whirl, but there isn't much interest. Fair enough - but if I add that I'd be happy to play your pet game in return (Eg., Kojibear at Malifaux, Prims AZW, Job at FoW, Lesley at A Few Acres of Snow, etc) if they'll have a shot at Dredd with me, we're probably both going to be happy. Most likely this exchange will plant some gaming seeds too and create more players of our pet system.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG
Lovejoy
Legend

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Also, on critical reflection, it occurs to me that I probably haven't been doing enough lately in terms of having a go at other people's games. Another new year's resolution!

(Lovejoy, if you start that thread up, I'd throw my hat into the ring.)
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Spevna on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:45 pm

The Other Dave wrote:
(Lovejoy, if you start that thread up, I'd throw my hat into the ring.)

Ditto!

I actually have about 30 Dredd perps/juves waiting yo be painted up! Give me a reason Lovejoy!

And to stay on point, I think a bit of option 2 and 3.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby Lovejoy on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:29 pm

Thread created! I wish it had a catchier acronym, but it should do the trick.
@Spev, any time you fancy some Dredd mate. I have the rules, terrain and plenty of minis for a variety of factions. Really want to get a campaign started. It is a perfect game for using all those fun minis which don't really have a system too. I can see my Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and pulp stuff working perfectly with it.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG
Lovejoy
Legend

Postby Spevna on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Lovejoy wrote:Thread created! I wish it had a catchier acronym, but it should do the trick.
@Spev, any time you fancy some Dredd mate. I have the rules, terrain and plenty of minis for a variety of factions. Really want to get a campaign started. It is a perfect game for using all those fun minis which don't really have a system too. I can see my Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and pulp stuff working perfectly with it.

For sure mate. I want to get my little gang painted up ( I actually have a theme in mind ), and then you are on!
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby ashmie on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:25 am

Here here, I'm for option 2 and particularly 3.
Painting an ECW force has been fun yet a bit self satisfied and rather conceited when I'm the only player. Plus it's a bit of a project for retirement it feels.
When Prim and I were first building for a Black Powder game it was a great thrill to try and get those units done in time. It was only 4 units a side but it was nice to have a goal and some great games at the end.
I'm all for group projects and campaigns, despite being absent from these in the past few years.
As to GW well, who needs em really. We have the armies and books.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 45
ashmie
Wargod

Return to Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題