The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm kinda experiencing TV burnout myself, a bit. While I was in scotland I started watching season 4 of Gotham, as here in Japan netflix only takes you up to season 3, but while I was in scotland, they released season 5! There was no way I was going to get through 40 episodes in 3 weeks, so I kinda gave up. The end result was 3 weeks without much telly, and tbh I found myself doing more with my time. I'm still into painting, playing magic Arena, playing magic in real life, and now I've taken up playing guitar (again), and need to get to grips with the rules for WarCry. Where do I fit TV in there? Basically, I've come to the conclusion that I don't. I'll be taking a TV break, I think, for a while at least. S3 of stranger things will do for now, as I watch that intermittently with Kaz, and since I've started S3 I feel I should at least finish. Other than that, I think I'll wait until the current season of Preacher is all available, as I like to binge it, and as and when we get new seasons of The Expanse and Altered Carbon I'll grab those, too. Never thought too many excellent comic/SF/Fantasy TV shows would be a problem :roll:

Anyway: To the painting table!*

*or possibly card table. Or computer. Or geetar. But NOT the telly... :D
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:53 pm

I try to limit myself to a couple of hours watching TV at the weekend and an hour or two during the week. When I iron my shirts for work on Sunday I can watch maybe 2-3 hours of whatever US drama I am working on (currently season 3 of Preacher). In the middle of the week, when I'm folding up clean laundry I'll pop onto youtube and start HIGNFY or some stand-up show.
Aside from that, I usually don't have any time when I can watch TV without sacrificing something else I'd rather be doing.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

ashdevon
Rookie

Post by ashdevon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Well, it's all over for me. Game of Thrones that is.
6 years of TV or however long I took.
I am officially throughly satisfied with the ending and demand no Disney Cinderella ending.
Cue the Dionne Warwick number. 'I just don't know what to do with myself'.
There's always the 300 pound kamishibai collectors edition to look forward to. Errrrm, or I could put that money towards a flight to see my son.
Moving back to England's one thing. Getting the funds together to leave again is something else.

ashdevon
Rookie

Post by ashdevon » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Still, it must be 100 en for you guys right now no? :lol:

https://shop.warnerbros.co.uk/game-of-t ... lsrc=aw.ds

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:34 am

I saw that set on facebook when you posted it, and to be fair, it's bloody lovely. But yeah, 300quid... :?

The exchange rate tanked as soon as I came over to the UK for a holiday (which it does every time I go, btw) , so you can thank me for that :lol: Starting to crawl back up again now. Won't be long until it plummets vertiginously once again, come October. :roll: I've been catching up with Stranger Things S3, and despite swearing off TV for a bit, I've actually been watching Agents of Shield on the new(ish) disney service, cos I can stick it on while the kids are about without traumatising them, unlike, say GoT or Preacher or suchlike.
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:03 pm

So, I broke down and signed up for Netflix basically so I could watch the Dark Crystal series, and watched it, and it was Good. (And now I have a whole other bunch of interesting-looking stuff clamoring for my attention, thanks Netflix.) I actually realized with slight surprise that I'd never seen the original 1982 movie all the way through in my youth (just picked it up through cultural osmosis and general nerdiness I guess, plus one of the cable channels we had would show the making-of featurette with some regularity while apparently not actually having the rights to show the movie itself) so I'm not a super-fan or anything, but it's a really solid piece of fantasy storytelling, by gum, with a lot of excellent voice performances. I'm actually kind of debating sharing it with my 9-year-old daughter for a bit yet, as it's really pretty dark for a G-rating. A hearty recommendation from me for forum folks, though!

Next is the CG Watership Down show. Apparently I'm unusual in that I've never seen the movie adaptation that seems to have scarred so many people for life, but it is one of my favorite books.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 [6] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [62] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:13 pm

I want to see the Dark Crystal series, I've heard good things about it. Dark Crystal (the movie) was ok, but I always preferred Labyrinth to be honest. If you ever get the chance to see it, Jim Henson's The Storyteller is a great show too.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:09 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:13 pm
I want to see the Dark Crystal series, I've heard good things about it. Dark Crystal (the movie) was ok, but I always preferred Labyrinth to be honest. If you ever get the chance to see it, Jim Henson's The Storyteller is a great show too.

I loved the Dark Crystal. I watched it again with my daughter a few years back. I mentioned that this was before CG and everything was a puppet. She could not believe it. "CG?" "No, that's a guy in a suit." "CG?" "No, they made those out of cloth and plastic and stuff."
I only ever saw Labyrinth once, a few years back as an adult, actually. I think you really have to be a grown up to get how cool and dangerous Bowie's Goblin King is. Don't think I've ever seen "Legend", or "The Never Ending Story" come to think of it. And say what you will, "Krull" is an unappreciated, well not gem, but bright shiny thing.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:55 am

You'll be happy to know that everything is still a puppet in the TV show! They added some eye blinks and skeksis tongues, and removed some puppeteers, but it's about 98% puppets and practical effects.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted [unpainted] in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 [6] Infantry, [a bunch of terrain]
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 58 [62] Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:10 am

@Konrad - yay! Somebody else who likes Krull. I watched that movie every christmas, cos one of the (lamentably few, at the time) tv channels in the uk would show it every year. Loads of good stuff in there. Of the other ones mentioned here, Labyrinth was a repeat-view favourite, and I've watched it with my kids, who also enjoyed it. We started the Never Ending Story recently, and they were enjoying it, but we only made it halfway through before bedtime and havent picked up the second half yet. Legend, I only ever saw once, and it got a bit of a shrug from me, tbh. I'm desperate to get my kids watching the dark crystal, but due to being stuck on auto-disagree-with-sibling mode, as soon as my eldest said "yeah dad, that looks great!" my youngest immediately and immovably knee-jerked into "I dont want to watch that. it looks rubbish"

:|

Kids. :roll:
minis
Magic cards
Hobby finances

Return to “Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題”