Page 9 of 13

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm
by Primarch
Well, this evening I finished watching Altered Carbon. Very good story, well acted, well directed and well paced. Good TV all round. :D

I also watched parts 1 and 2 of Helsreach. It was ok, but the picture was pretty rough as Job said. If they can improve on that, it should be worth watching.

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:13 am
by Primarch
Last night I finished watching Jessica Jones Season 2. After the first season's well paced story, with interesting supporting characters and a chilling villain, season 2 had a lot to live up to. Sadly, it (IMHO) didn't. Without giving to much away, it really felt like a filler piece, rearranging the characters ready for something else. There was a lot happening that had no connection to Jessica at all. e.g. Her lawyer friend has a lot of screen time, but only a few minutes interacting with our eponymous heroine. Netflix have confirmed season 3, so hopefully that will be more like season 1.
tl;dr - JJ S2 is better than Iron Fist, but it's not much better.

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:04 am
by Lovejoy
Just got hold of Series 5 of Endeavour. I did love Inspector Morse when it was first broadcast, and I’ve been enjoying this prequel show.

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm
by me_in_japan
Primarch wrote:Last night I finished watching Jessica Jones Season 2. After the first season's well paced story, with interesting supporting characters and a chilling villain, season 2 had a lot to live up to. Sadly, it (IMHO) didn't. Without giving to much away, it really felt like a filler piece, rearranging the characters ready for something else. There was a lot happening that had no connection to Jessica at all. e.g. Her lawyer friend has a lot of screen time, but only a few minutes interacting with our eponymous heroine. Netflix have confirmed season 3, so hopefully that will be more like season 1.
tl;dr - JJ S2 is better than Iron Fist, but it's not much better.
have to agree with prim here. It wasn't bad, exactly, but neither did it make me want to keep watching, other than general loyalty to the show.

I'm nearly finished with Gotham season 3 (yeah, I know - netflix gotta hurry up and get S4 on...). It's much more fun than JJ. Stuff happens in this show that would be dumb as hell in almost anything else, but it just kind of works here. It veers just close enough to comic booky silliness without crossing the line toooo much. Thumbs up for Gotham from me :)

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:56 am
by Primarch
Punisher Season 2 drops on Netflix on Jauary 18.
I'm really looking forward to this, though I'm also going to be sad when it ends as Netflix and Marvel part ways. I'm still hoping that Disney pick up the Netflix shows and keep the actors as they are all (ok, Iron Fist aside) brilliant. Season 3 of Daredevil was awesome and ended on a high point I think.
Just Season 3 of JJ to go after the Punisher.

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:15 pm
by me_in_japan
Looking forward to Punisher S2. I agree it's a shame that Netflix have lost the marvel licenses, as they overall did a great job with them. I hope Disney do continue with them, pretty much as they are, even Iron Fist (the end of S2 actually made me excited for S3, whereas S1 into S2 I was very much "meh, I may watch. maybe.")

I'm just a bit apprehensive what Disney will feel they can charge for their streaming service. Theyre not known for their budgeted and reasonable approach to costing. Plus, I'll eat my shoes if Japan doesnt lag like hell behind the rest of the world when it comes to release dates. That's one thing Netflix have been really good for (with their own-produced stuff.)

But hey-ho, maybe Disney will even get all cross-overy and have more direct references to the MCU stuff down in Hell's Kitchen. A man can dream, no?

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:38 pm
by Primarch
I think the Disney stream is supposed to be kid-friendly too, so if they do port them across there may well be a change in tone. Disney have another channel that may host them, ABC, but I don't know if they do streaming or if they broadcast in Japan. :(

On the plus side Altered Carbon Series 2 should start filming soon. :D

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 pm
by me_in_japan
aye - looking forward to Altered Carbon. Now there's a kid-unfriendly show if ever there was one :shock:

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:45 pm
by kojibear
Primarch wrote:Season 3 of Daredevil was awesome and ended on a high point I think.
That's good to hear. I don't have much time at the moment - busy start to the year - but I shall make that my next series to watch. I just finished The Orville season 1. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendation Prim and Yellowstreak :)

Re: The Golden Age of TV. So, what are you watching?

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:28 am
by YellowStreak
kojibear wrote:
Primarch wrote:Season 3 of Daredevil was awesome and ended on a high point I think.
That's good to hear. I don't have much time at the moment - busy start to the year - but I shall make that my next series to watch. I just finished The Orville season 1. That was a lot of fun. Thanks for the recommendation Prim and Yellowstreak :)
Orville seaon 2 just started in the States last week!

I watched Bird box on Netflix. Not bad, some good ideas, but some of the characterisation seemed forced. I also recently watched 7 samurai again. Man I love that film. Yojimbo and Sanjuro are next, to be followed by Kagemusha, Throne of Blood and Ran.