My Fellow Americans......

Use this board for any non-gaming related topics. ゲーム以外の他の話題はこちらを使ってください。

My Fellow Americans......

Postby Konrad on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:21 am

Next morning now and I think I'm still in shock.
I could not quite believe the numbers I was seeing. "President Trump" been the punchline of a joke for so long that I cannot get my head around that it actually happened. Literally, I have this feeling in the back of my head that I'm the only one not in on the joke and will look like an idiot writing this. (What? You mean you actually BELIEVED that gag on CNN? Sucker!!!!!!)
I have not felt this sort of dismay since right after I saw the 2nd plane hit on 9/11 and realized that this was going to change our nation for the worse for a long, long time. With 9/11, all the "USA! USA!" was channeled into foreign military adventures. This time, we are going to tear into each other and the motley assortment of pirates who will ride in on the winds of that man's bluster, will loot and pillage the pieces.
It's not the end of the world. He's not a crazy Nazi who will throw a temper tantrum and launch nukes at China. He is extraordinarily intelligent and good at what he does and knows what he is doing, And what he is doing is "leading" by spouting off ludicrous nonsense and surfing on top of the chaos. That has dredged up a lot of the ugly that is sadly part of our national character.
But hey, (sarcasm alert) the Liberal Left managed to pass all sorts of pot legalization nationwide. Thank goodness people have their priorities straight. (sarcasm concluded)
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Re: My Fellow Americans......

Postby jehan-reznor on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:43 am

I am not a United Statian but even i was flabbergasted seeing it happen in real time, common sense is death, the truth don't matter, just throwing around a lot of meaningless platitudes gets you elected :shock:
jehan-reznor
Champion

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:56 am

(And I promise I'll keep political discussion confined firmly to this thread! haha)

The thing is, though, that he is a crazy Nazi, or at least functionally indistinguishable from one. He has a long, public track record of being a racist, Islamophobic, homophobic, misogynistic bully who flies off the handle at the slightest provocation and is not at all afraid or ashamed of straight-up verifiably lying to justify his actions or vilify his opponents.

But more than that, even if, as you say, he's just playing a game and spouting off to gain power, he's given a lot of racist, Islamophobic, homophobic, misogynistic bullies reason to believe that it's OK, that it's good, that it's gosh-darn-it American to be those things. Remember how hate crimes against immigrants spiked after Brexit? Remember how hate crimes against Muslims in the States have spiked just since Trump announced his candidacy? If we don't see worse than Britain's been seeing, I'll very happily buy you a beer - many beers! - and toast my pessimism, but this is me going on the record as being extremely pessimistic about the matter.

Most of all, though, and this is the really shocking, disheartening thing for me, about half my fellow citizens cast a vote for someone who is very very openly a lying, racist, Islamophobic, homophobic, misogynistic bully, and thought that a guy like that would make a pretty cool President of the United States, Commander in Chief, and Leader of the Free World. They have said, in effect, that it is American to be those things. And if half of Americans - people, who, unlike you and me, actually live in America - think dishonesty, racism, xenophobia, homophobia and misogyny are core American values, well, who am I to say they aren't, you know?

I mean, I don't know. Like I say, I don't even live there, and probably never will again (mortgage and all that). The only direct effect it'll have on me is the world economy crashing (fairly unlikely, I hope?) or a world-spanning war starting (extremely unlikely, knock on wood).

Or, you know, Abe getting encouragement to go even more reactionary, or my LGBT, PoC, immigrant and Muslim friends in the States having their rights curtailed or worse - both of those not particularly unlikely, unfortunately.

(On a related note, did you know it costs like $2250 to renounce your American citizenship? Not that I've been checking or anything.)
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 180 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby Primarch on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:35 am

England: "Brexit is the most self-destructive thing a country could ever do."
USA: "Oh yeah? Watch this!"

China: "This is why we don't let the people vote."

Obviously I'm not an American and as such had no real skin in the game, but I was following the results as they came in yesterday.
Everyone and their dog is offering some rationale as to how he could have won, but it seems fairly obvious in hindsight. People voted for him despite his many, many flaws, because he promised them something. He promised more jobs and an America First policy. For areas suffering from recession and unemployment, that sounds pretty good. Hillary promised to maintain the status quo, which is fine if you are happy with the status quo. If not, well....
Maybe next time the Democrats won't rig the primaries to get rid of the popular choice and replace them with someone who was universally despised. Trump should have been a pushover for any halfway reasonable candidate, but Hillary just had too many skeletons in her closet and offered a lot of people in areas where she needed votes nothing that they wanted. Electing the first female president doesn't do anything for anyone if they aren't a good choice for president.
The Republicans have control of the Senate, Congress and likely the Supreme Court as well, so they can pretty much pass any laws they like. One good point though is that they don't always see eye-to-eye with Trump, so some of his more outrageous ideas may not be implemented.

TL,DR - Trump is an awful choice for president, but on the plus side Clinton didn't win.

Hopefully Bernie will still be around in 2020.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37925961
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Spevna on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:57 am

Primarch wrote:Obviously I'm not an American and as such had no real skin in the game, but I was following the results as they came in yesterday.
Everyone and their dog is offering some rationale as to how he could have won, but it seems fairly obvious in hindsight. People voted for him despite his many, many flaws, because he promised them something. He promised more jobs and an America First policy. For areas suffering from recession and unemployment, that sounds pretty good. Hillary promised to maintain the status quo, which is fine if you are happy with the status quo. If not, well....
Maybe next time the Democrats won't rig the primaries to get rid of the popular choice and replace them with someone who was universally despised. Trump should have been a pushover for any halfway reasonable candidate, but Hillary just had too many skeletons in her closet and offered a lot of people in areas where she needed votes nothing that they wanted. Electing the first female president doesn't do anything for anyone if they aren't a good choice for president.
The Republicans have control of the Senate, Congress and likely the Supreme Court as well, so they can pretty much pass any laws they like. One good point though is that they don't always see eye-to-eye with Trump, so some of his more outrageous ideas may not be implemented.

TL,DR - Trump is an awful choice for president, but on the plus side Clinton didn't win.

Hopefully Bernie will still be around in 2020.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-37925961

I agree with all of the above, but would add a couple of things.

1. Much like teh Brexit vote, this was a large f*ck you to the establishment. Bernie said as much in his statement, am delighted I reckon he is right.

2. I'd rather have Trump in charge than a complete loon like Cruz.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby job on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:26 am

The other thing to consider is Trump, for all his ugliness and repulsiveness to so many people (probably the majority of the electorate), excited his base. That base went to the polls and didn't hesitate backing their guy and probably endorsing their candidate to their friends. Clinton, for all her experience good or bad, always suffered from a lack of enthusiasm and message. To compound it, she just has a huge trust issue with the public. So many Democtratic party voters could be found very wishy washy in their desire to vote for her. I imagine the gap between the polls and the result could be partly due to this.

Anyway, from this side of the Big Pond, it looks like just a bad dream...
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Wargod

Postby ashmie on Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm

How did the new President of the United States plead when accused of racism, Islamophobia, homophobia, misogyny and sexism?

Not guilty your honour these are trumped up charges.
Lol I'm here all week.

Pennywise.

What a crappy result. And year. Nevermind. :shock:
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.
Maggots Michael, you're eating maggots.
ashmie
Wargod

Postby The Underdweller on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:12 am

Well, I am disappointed by the result, but not as surprised as I thought I might be. Clinton was a typical politician, and I don't think I have met any Americans who were very enthusiastic about her. However, I was hoping she would win merely because Trump is so embarrassing that people would vote against him.

As others have said, it could be worse, though - after looking at his Vice President, Trump seems like the lesser evil. And maybe most of what Trump said was just a lot of hot air, and he won't actually do much of it now that he's in office. Here's hoping!
The Underdweller
Champion

Postby jehan-reznor on Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:18 am

All my hardline American friends on Facebook, say change will happen and Democracy has won.
But i am not sure they will get the change they envisioned ;)
jehan-reznor
Champion

Postby Konrad on Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:39 am

Good points all, and OtherDave, I'm with you (with much more enthusiasm than I was with her).
I'm just saying we are a long way from brown-shirts and ovens.
But yes, I agree every axxhole, who thinks that bedsheets are the fashion accessories that go with anything, will now come slithering out from beneath their rocks to get their licks in. And it is already making an effect. Messaging friend and family back home in my little, blue-state, liberal college-town, home town and everyone is afraid. To quote, "I'm afraid." Everyone used those words, and we're about as WASP as you can get.

To continue my dismay, I read that after a smaller than predicted drop, the markets rallied. The pirates are pulling up anchor and sharpening their cutlasses.

@Mus- yeah, Cruz is possibly the only human being on earth that I find more repellent than Donald Trump. We might have ended up with brown-shirts with that guy.
@JR- Yeah, I know guys like that too. They see this trainwreck as the common man striking a blow for freedom. Have not been able to bring myself to talk to them yet.

I've been trying to explain what Trump is to my Japanese friends. There just is no one in Japan to compare him to. The best I've come up with is if you mix that Livedoor jerk who is in jail, with the creepiest-etchi-old-man-variety-show-host you can think of, with an "ore-ore" con-artist and blend all that together with sen-oku en in a black van with loudspeakers, you'd get Donald Trump rising out of it like Franken.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Next

Return to Life, Things and Stuff - ゲーム以外の話題