NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Format - Input required!

Details of upcoming NagoyaHammer events

Re: NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Format - Input required!

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

Is CP chasing shenanigans or part of the game? It seems to me that being able to maximize the CP from your list is a key part in list building. I mean, at 1500pts there’s only so many CP one can squeeze out of a list, particularly in a group like ours who spit upon the idea of minmaxing. I think limiting it to 1 detachment per 750 points could heavily penalize some players but benefit others. It’d be very codex-dependent how it affected each person.
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 am

Fair enough, I guess - I'm probably reacting more to discussions elsewhere than anything that would go on in our group. :D
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 183 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby asrayel on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:46 am

Primarch wrote:Ok 40k-ers time to get your thinking caps on.

Unlike previous events where I have set up scenarios and mini-campaigns, this Nagoyahammer will be different. Despite my best efforts to get enthused about the new edition (I have been looking at rules, codexes, minis and even the GW website :o ), I really haven't found that ol' fanboy mojo that I used to have. So I have zero experience with the new version and no interest in gaining any experience anytime soon.

So, I'm going to leave things up to you fine forumites to determine the format of the 40K fixtures.

I'd prefer to keep the 40K day as 3 regular sized games. On the 2nd day people can push a bunch of tables together and put on as big a game as they'd like. In every system I've tried, big games aren't for everyone and take a lot of extra effort to see through to the end.

Aside from that caveat, I'll leave the floor open to suggestions for the time being. What Power Level do you think will work best? Do you want casual games or is there interest in making it a tournament style event with players bringing the cheesiest of lists? Singles or Doubles?

One more thing, Yellowstreak almost certainly won't be attending this year. He is responsible for bringing along a fair amount of terrain each year. If anyone has the time and energy to put together some extra bits of terrain, that would be helpful if the decision is to play 1 Vs. 1 games.

Regards,
P.

I'm thinking about staying in Nagoya overnight between the two days, so I'm...ok, just turned around and ran it past the wife...she's fine with it. I will indeed stay in Nagoya overnight between the two days, so I'll commit now to making and bringing a table's worth of terrain. I've been eyeing tutorials on making alien buildings and ruins, and this gives me a reason to pull the trigger on doing it. I won't be able to bring that and a mat all the way from Shiga, but if someone can bring something mat-ish, we can combine powers to make another table.
asrayel
Rookie

Postby asrayel on Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm down with playing any type of game, but I would certainly love to have a bigger 1v1 game at some point. I do love me some 2000 point games, but maybe that's just me.

A few of things that might be topics for debate that come up in some tournaments (I know, not a tournament, but it seems like there is a push for more standardization across tables for the event):

- No named characters (avoids uber-cheese...looking at you, Rowboat!)
- A specific limit to all games, i.e. all games are two hours or 5 full rounds, whichever comes first
- Being able to win despite being tabled (makes people focus on the mission and the tactics required and not just outright trying to blow their friend off the board)
asrayel
Rookie

Postby The Other Dave on Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:16 am

asrayel wrote:- No named characters (avoids uber-cheese...looking at you, Rowboat!)

I was thinking about this, but on the other hand there are some factions (Ynnari in particular, and maybe less so Necrons) who just wouldn't be viable without named characters, since named characters are basically all they have. I think the design decisions that make Guilliman and Celestine (and Cawl, but I don't think we have any AdMech players around) auto-includes are not great design decisions, but more in a "now we see Guilliman on every table at big tournaments" way than a "having Guilliman on the field is an I WIN button" way - I don't think they're so much "uber-cheese" as "notably points-optimal." Seeing lots of them doesn't really impact us, as we only have one Ultramarines player and one Sisters player (who, sadly, will be gone by NagHams anyway), and and we're not WAAC enough that I can imagine any of us buying the Triumvirate just to wipe up at Nagoyahammer.

Also, I do see GW's point that "if you buy and paint up this beautiful model you should be able to play games with it" - and since we're a community that puts a lot of stock in painting, I think we should let people who paint these guys up play games with them.

That does lead me to a suggestion from me (sort of balancing to asrayel's) that we also try to include one small game (like 1000 points a side small) in the day's lineup, since a) Nu40K is still a lot of fun at that size, b) it'd be a quick little palate-cleanser between big battles, and c) it would, in fact, be hard to take Mortarion in a 1000-point game. :D
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 183 infantry, 4 vehicles, 5 buildings
Currently focusing on: 40K, Malifaux
I started a blog! https://chubugamer.wordpress.com/
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby asrayel on Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:21 am

The Other Dave wrote:
asrayel wrote:- No named characters (avoids uber-cheese...looking at you, Rowboat!)

I was thinking about this, but on the other hand there are some factions (Ynnari in particular, and maybe less so Necrons) who just wouldn't be viable without named characters, since named characters are basically all they have. I think the design decisions that make Guilliman and Celestine (and Cawl, but I don't think we have any AdMech players around) auto-includes are not great design decisions, but more in a "now we see Guilliman on every table at big tournaments" way than a "having Guilliman on the field is an I WIN button" way - I don't think they're so much "uber-cheese" as "notably points-optimal." Seeing lots of them doesn't really impact us, as we only have one Ultramarines player and one Sisters player (who, sadly, will be gone by NagHams anyway), and and we're not WAAC enough that I can imagine any of us buying the Triumvirate just to wipe up at Nagoyahammer.

Also, I do see GW's point that "if you buy and paint up this beautiful model you should be able to play games with it" - and since we're a community that puts a lot of stock in painting, I think we should let people who paint these guys up play games with them.

That does lead me to a suggestion from me (sort of balancing to asrayel's) that we also try to include one small game (like 1000 points a side small) in the day's lineup, since a) Nu40K is still a lot of fun at that size, b) it'd be a quick little palate-cleanser between big battles, and c) it would, in fact, be hard to take Mortarion in a 1000-point game. :D

I think smaller 750-1000 point games would be great, too. If the idea of the weekend was to have some narrative "teams" (i.e. Xenos/chaos vs imperium), more games could add to the overall story of the war. Small games could help out the terrain issue too as we could do some boarding mission style games; I remember having a lot of fun with those when I did the Badab War with a friend over the course of a year. We'd just need tables and cardboard or paper hallways and rooms instead of full-on terrain. We actually used packs of notecards and created a maze to represent the ship that we were fighting on in the middle of a void battle. We did no vehicles, except for bikes and walkers.
asrayel
Rookie

Previous

Return to NagoyaHammer Events - 名古屋八ンマーイベント