NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Army Building

Postby Primarch on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:44 pm

EDIT
Right, since it seems like no real consensus was reached, I guess I'll have to sort stuff out after all. :D

Armies should be built using your Codex (if you have one) or your Index if not. Forge World is fine if it has an official 8th edition set of rules.

Build a list for either team play at 750 points (max 1 detachment) or solo play at 1500 points. (max 2 detachments).

Missions should be rolled at random from the rulebook. (That's still a thing, right?) If either player has already played the mission rolled, you may reroll it once and once only.

As a rule of thumb, bring an army that will be fun to play against, not one that is meant to table your opponent in the minimum time possible.

Games will be limited to 2.5 hours, with a little leeway for finishing turns.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: NagoyaHammer 2018 - 40K Format - Input required!

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:18 am

A format idea I've heard about that intrigues me is doubles like this: everyone plays a singles game at 100, a doubles game with their partner at 50, and then a singles game at 50 (or maybe 75 would work), and you get both a team winner and an individual winner.

As for support, I'm working on my terrain collection, and will probably focus more on that moving forward as my army stabilizes - I can probably shoot for providing two tables' worth by Golden Week.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 78 infantry, 5 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Konrad on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:00 am

Do we want to do it with Power Levels? I appreciate the simplicity of the math. But it looks like it can get pretty crazy with the free options.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby The Underdweller on Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:23 am

I heard people say that the Power Levels were designed with the assumption you would take all of the free options, but haven't verified it or anything. Certainly Termagants with Devourers are worth a lot more than Termagants with Fleshborers.

Also I will definitely not be taking all of the free options as I don't want to start ripping off and replacing half of the weapons on my 'Nids.

So, since it is so far in advance and we have lots of planning time, I vote that we use points.

I doubt I'll bring much terrain so I will advocate for 3 doubles games, likely with a different partner each time, to keep things sociable.
The Underdweller
Champion

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:12 am

For an event like this I really have no opinion either way about points versus power - I really just prefer the former for low-stress pickup games and such.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:27 am

Given the time available, points or power levels is fine by me.

As for style of game, doubles is always fun at an event like this. 8th ed has plenty of options for scenario play, too. I'm sure we can come up with something involving tactical objectives and open play cards and whatnot.
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:05 am

My personal preference would be for at least one 1-on-1 game, even if only at 50 power / 1000 points, just so we can get the "full 40K experience" and give us a chance to show what we can do (or, in my case, can't do :lol:) on our own, alongside any doubles action that goes on. I do realize I'm saying this as someone who hasn't done 40K at NagoyaHammer before, so I may just not know what I'm missing, though.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Mike the Pike on Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:31 am

A Few ideas....

Points are probably better for this kinda event. From my limited experience, power points seems cool for our usual events but you can get a lot of ‘free’ stuff using PP if you were that way inclined. Still I wouldn’t boycott it if everyone voted for PP.

Probably better make it battle forged (?) armies only.

All games 1500 points. You can play as a team (750pts each) or as an individual if you’re a miserable curmudgeon like me.

Everyone plays the same missions in the same round with the same deployment. Perhaps to add a little variety chuck in the random events card for each table.

Loose teams. Imperium, Xenos, Tricksy Elves, Chaos. Winning a game gives a team ‘x’ number of points. To balance the uneven factions, the team total is divided by the number of players in the team.

Teams don’t have to be the same faction, but you’d split the points if you’re not mates.

The prize is bragging rights only so no need to go all WAACY.

Sounds like s lot of rules etc, but the above are just basically guidelines for having 3 even games IMHO.

Oh yes, if I drive, I can bring a couple of tables’ worth of terrain.
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Postby Konrad on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:A Few ideas....

Points are probably better for this kinda event. From my limited experience, power points seems cool for our usual events but you can get a lot of ‘free’ stuff using PP if you were that way inclined. Still I wouldn’t boycott it if everyone voted for PP.

Probably better make it battle forged (?) armies only.

All games 1500 points. You can play as a team (750pts each) or as an individual if you’re a miserable curmudgeon like me.

Everyone plays the same missions in the same round with the same deployment. Perhaps to add a little variety chuck in the random events card for each table.

Loose teams. Imperium, Xenos, Tricksy Elves, Chaos. Winning a game gives a team ‘x’ number of points. To balance the uneven factions, the team total is divided by the number of players in the team.

Teams don’t have to be the same faction, but you’d split the points if you’re not mates.

The prize is bragging rights only so no need to go all WAACY.

Sounds like s lot of rules etc, but the above are just basically guidelines for having 3 even games IMHO.

Oh yes, if I drive, I can bring a couple of tables’ worth of terrain.

I like this. The Imp/Xenos/Panzee/Chaos bit is fun.
I really enjoy playing with a partner. We can yell Waaaagh just that much louder.
And the Pike is hardly a miserable curmudgeon. He loves every minute of it.
And I'm good for a table's worth of terrain as always.
What to do....start bashing together another 30 Squat-Orks or bashing together another 30 Squat-Guard?
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Wargod

Postby The Other Dave on Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:25 am

I think all that looks good. I might suggest a limit of one detachment per 750 points just to rein in some possible CP-chasing shenanigans.
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Next

Return to Past Events