A new edition is coming... New 40K discussion thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000

Re: A new edition is coming... New 40K discussion thread!

Postby jus on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:59 am

I concur, from what I've seen from battle reps so far it's a cracking good improvement. How excitement!
Noticeable changes include close combat being BRUTAL now with the morale check losses. ( Sorry Tau) and the rule where if a model is not obscured it don't get cover. No more area terrain shenanigans, ugh.
jus

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:32 am

I'm actually Not a Fan of true line of sight. :oops:

Also, it seems to me the cover save rules are all about area terrain: "If a unit is entirely on or within any terrain feature, add 1 to its models' saving throws," which doesn't mention visibility at all. That does mean intervening terrain doesn't matter if you can see your target, though - is that what you meant?

(Shooting's pretty brutal too - even if a unit has only a single model visible and in range, the whole unit's valid targets for wound allocation. Mind, I think the wins in the speed of play department are very big here, and brutal is good at any rate.)
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 123 infantry, 3 buildings
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby jus on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:07 am

@tod : Right, that's what I meant. Inorder to gain the bonus to saving throws your whole unit has to be in terrain. I like change but i agree with you about line of sight. It's a bit shite.

On another note though, after perusing some juicy data slate leaks, I'd like to talk about some interesting developments and how certain units have changed.

Firstly, with the new AP system, power armor is in the ascendant. Where previously power weapons AP3 or better would kill a marine, your AP-3 weapons (i.e the new power sword for example) now still afford marines an armor save of 6 plus.
Very cool!

Characters also are now alot larger than life and have more staying power on the table. Heck, IG company commanders have 5 wounds now. Not to mention the Avatar of khaine being appropriatly alot more beastly. Whose wailing doom sword does multiple points of damage per hit

Each faction also had its own unique psychic discipline of three powers ( not six!) so no more biomancy etc for space marines. This certainly simplifies things ALOT. But makes sense lore wise too.
Only eldar can "guide" and "doom" ( yes they still have those)now...the way it should be.
jus

Postby Konrad on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:32 pm

The Other Dave wrote:I'm actually Not a Fan of true line of sight. :oops:

Also, it seems to me the cover save rules are all about area terrain: "If a unit is entirely on or within any terrain feature, add 1 to its models' saving throws," which doesn't mention visibility at all. That does mean intervening terrain doesn't matter if you can see your target, though - is that what you meant?

(Shooting's pretty brutal too - even if a unit has only a single model visible and in range, the whole unit's valid targets for wound allocation. Mind, I think the wins in the speed of play department are very big here, and brutal is good at any rate.)

Sounds very 3rd? 4th ed? I can't remember.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote
Konrad
Legend

Postby jus on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:35 am

Well... That says it all doesn't it?
jus

Postby The Other Dave on Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:39 am

Bigly! Dang, they are nice models. Can't wait to get mine (in August-ish, when MiJ gets back from the UK, heh).
Miniatures painted in 2017:
Fleet: 2 cruisers
15mm: 1 tank, 2 buildings
28mm: 123 infantry, 3 buildings
The Other Dave
Wargod

Postby me_in_japan on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:07 pm

the one next to the guardsman gives me a warm happy feeling. That is how space marines are supposed to look. Aaaah. The pleasure of something finally done right.
2016 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 52-24+TGG2+DFC sold : 30 painted : 26 money spent: 459GBP money in: 2万円
terrain
bought: 3 finished: 8 money spent: 63GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 153GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby YellowStreak on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:46 am

Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
YellowStreak
Legend

Postby Mike the Pike on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:06 am

Well... despite saying I was giving up on 40K I went and got the e-book version of the rules and the Chaos Index.
Being me, I've only given them the most cursory glance but even I can see that it seems to be a simpler game to play. Other things of note...

Formations are there but confer only small bonuses and anyone can get them (if you want to play that way).

The psychic phase seems to have done away with psychic spamming which lotsa people apparently didn't like.

You can now move and give heavy weapons (-1 to hit)

Characters don't seem to be able to join units. You can single them out but only if they are the closest target IIRC.

-AP on lots of weapons is great. No more hoping that your opponent rolls that 1 on their Terminator save.

Still I haven't played a game yet so who knows.

Although I do seem to think that ordinary troops (be they tactical, assault or heavy have become more of the focus. I dunno, that's just after a quick run through.

Who else has it and has read it? Whaddya think?
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Postby Mike the Pike on Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:33 am

Also...

Cover is only +1 to your save if your unit and only if your unit is wholly in it or on it.

Mortal Wounds (new instant death) from shooting can carry over onto the rest of the unit.

Since there is no Initiative anymore, close combat works differently. Alll chargers fight first. Then the players alternate units that are eligible to fight I.e. Locked in close combat.

'Run' has become 'advance' and is done I. The movement phase.
Assault weapons allow you to advance and shoot (at-1).

Everyone who has lost a model in CC must take a Morale Check on their highest LD. If you roll higher than your Ltd you lose the difference in Models.

If your transport hasn't moved, you can charge after disembarking! Elder players, sort of, rejoice!

Cover. Area terrain is back, kind of. If your whole unit is in it you get cover bonus. If not the it's tru-ish LOS needing 50% obscure to get a save. If you're behind a 'barricade' you get cover
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000