Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Karantu
Rookie

Re: Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

Post by Karantu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 am

Oh boy, the Eldar/Dark Eldar box set is going to be 230 USD which translates to something around 34,000 yen going by GW's exchange rates. Using their recent prices for characters and units you can assume that the two new characters will probably be something around 5,900 yen each separately and that the new Howling Banshees and Incubi are probably going to be around 6,000~7,000 yen or so, you end up with a total value of around 51,000 yen. Looking at it like that it seems like a decent deal but I feel like they could've just as easily made a box set without all those vehicles inflating the total price. GW is really pushing it with these box sets lately. At least everyone on eBay will have fun with this one.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:08 am

Like I said on Twitter, I think there may be more than a little bit of "GW has learned that they can produce an expensive box here and there and people will still buy it" at work here. Also, it really can't be emphasized enough that anyone getting in to a new army is still going to need to buy even more than what's in this box to play standard-sized games of 40K, so the more they can get at a discount the better, really.

(It's true that people with existing armies who want the new models will have to either get the box with a lot of stuff they don't want and e-bay the rest or sit on their hands for a few months, but eh. That's been SOP since Forgebane at least.)
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 48 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

Karantu
Rookie

Post by Karantu » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah, it feels like GW has been doing a lot of probing and seeing what sells. There's nothing wrong with box sets since it lowers the price of the contents on ebay and other such places but it's a bit of a bummer for that to be only source for those new models. Also, its rough for the people who aren't comfortable with ebay and don't have anyone to split a box with locally.

Overall it's a decent way to get a variety of "new" models if you've started a new army. I ended up buying Shadowspear after all, and depending on the contents I might buy the rumoured Black Legion box too. If all the factions end up getting boxes as part of the Psychic Awakening campaign it'll be pretty interesting though.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”