Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Balloonacorn
Warrior

Re: Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

Post by Balloonacorn » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:45 pm

I must have those VAMPIRES - love the concepts - ands yes I would like a vampire army. But I think there is only one or two vampires in a nominal vampire army.

Love the DoK endless spells - BLOOD SNAKE!

I like the looks of the new WHQ - I want to see how it plays tho

That Lumineth goat is a big improvement over the Bull - Mountain Spirit, but I thought all goats were on the dark side. A holy goat? Bah!
Malerion in transition

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:50 pm

me_in_japan wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:11 am
I didn’t watch this, so I’m a bit befuddled. What is the whq stuff? Is it an add on for people already invested in the game? Or what? I wasn’t even really aware that whq was a thing these days. I’m geeenerally up to date with GW stuff, but I must’ve missed the whq thing?
The whole line of dungeon crawl-y boxed games are under the Warhammer Quest “imprint,” and generally share mechanics. Silver Tower, Shadows over Hammerhall (? something like that), and most recently Blackstone Fortress, were all “Warhammer Quest” games, with similar-but-improving-over-time game mechanics. Silver tower, I hear, was not great, the next AoS iteration was a big improvement, and Blackstone was really good, so people are generally anticipating it being a good game even with what little we know about it, in addition to the two models they’ve shown looking cool.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2021:
Adeptus Titanicus: 16 Knights
40K-iverse: 9 infantry, 1 vehicle
Current backlog: 44 models in 13 lots

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:21 am

I’ll admit that the two models shown are excellent, indeed, sufficient to pique my interest in a game I otherwise knew nothing about.

But...

Underworlds warbands are going up to 25quid a pop.

This causes me narrow my eyes in deep, deep suspicion. The camera of the mind draws back. Dark clouds rise behind me, and the wind whips my hair in a dramatic and backlit manner.

DOOOOOOM!!!!! I say.

We’ve all been here before. An occasional price rise is fine, but this right here is Dark Times level bullshit. I don’t care if some number cruncher in head office says that X lost customers is outweighed by Y extra profit per box. I don’t even care if the price of manufacturing has risen because of Brexit. If that’s the case then they should just say so and we can all get on with it. But nah. This reeeeeks of “game is popular so let’s increase prices according the the Ancient Ways of Maximus Profitus”.

And all you lot that have spent your time, money and effort buying into the game we just priced you out of in this time of global economic crisis and complete inability to actually play the damn thing (keeping in mind that any of the warbands you do have now will be invalid by the time lockdowns lift in a year or so). Yeah, you lot. You can all bugger off. Turns out we didn’t need you anyway. Oh, what’s that? You’re upset about all that money and effort you put into the game being rendered irrelevant? Eh. *shrug* Don’t care.

I haven’t quite hardened into a full Spevna just yet, but this shite has pushed me closer than I have been in years.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:39 am

@M_i_J

Warbands are currently 22.50GBP, yes? It's only an 11% increase, that barely counts where GW are concerned. Plus it's on new models.

Rhinos jumped from 4600 yen to 6400 yen a year or two ago. That's nearly 40% higher. And Rhinos have been around for forever, so they have long since passed the break even point on their development costs. It's all money in the bank at this stage. The Sisters of Battle Rhino clocks in at 8300 yen, and that's the same basic kit with a new/different upgrade sprue, and an 80% increase on the old Rhino price/ 30% on the new price for the same size kit and same amount of plastic.

Count yourself lucky GW are letting you off so easy. Now, enjoy your minis while you can before they become obsolete.

P.s. I doubt most of the current board users will know what a full Spevna is.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 am

There are certainly a few decisions showing up which smell like Old GW, the Kill Team box and the extremely turn-of-the-century shoot-yourself-in-the-foot decision to stop offering ebooks among them, but like Prim says I'm not sure a 10% price hike on warband boxes is enough to make me go DOOM - it's always going to be a personal thing with hobby spending, but 6000 yen for a warband and cards is still well within my personal realm of hobby affordability (heck, individual character models are 4000 yen at the minimum after all). And it may be me simping for GW or whatever the kids are saying these days, but any product that depends heavily on components GW has to produce internationally (namely, cards) staying the same price in 2021 seems unlikely, and I really wouldn't expect an explicit statement saying "it's Brexit!" to ever appear - maybe in the yearly investor report, if that.

(Personally, more than the price hike, I'm worried that what'll end up being rather more than a year of no real organized play will sap the life out of Underworlds - most of the Underworlds-focused podcasts, YouTube channels and news sources I follow have more or less gone silent since summer or so. I'll give it 'til whatever happens with season 5 before I get really antsy though, although I admit I do have the luxury of a regularly-meeting group that plays the game.)
-----

jus

Post by jus » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 am

hmm Why would your stuff be rendered irrelevant? Is the new stuff so much better than the old stuff?

Jye Nicolson
Champion

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:57 am

OK Google didn't help: what's a Spevna?

I think frequency of play does make a difference in your attitude; I don't devote any thought at all to the cost of Underworlds stuff, and I don't get too worried about warbands falling behind (they never get squatted, their faction cards just get relatively worse) because like you I play more Underworlds than anything. It's far and away the best ratio of purchase to use, and thus due to circumstances is the best value anything for me for me in the entire hobby*.

Warcry is next, somewhat compromised by my own stupid habit of buying a bunch of AOS stuff to try a faction rather than waiting for Warcry faction boxes, but otherwise really great ratio of cost to actual play. Hence I don't sweat the sticker price that much.

40K I absolutely should be feeling ripped off about, particularly because GW *doesn't* obsolete the damn firstborn marines and I have** to keep buying them as well as Primaris stuff, and the full Sisters army at full launch price at the same time as collecting Space Wolves was not sound financial planning. Less playtime than the other games and at least an order of magnitude more cost. I don't really feel it emotionally though because I knew I was just setting a bunch of money on fire when I finally caved on playing full 40K and I'm at peace with that. Plus the Sisters line is just fantastic.

Anything else though is going to compete with the above three for playtime, which makes the calculus very different. I'd be all in on that Kill Team box in 2019, in 2021 it's sailing into the face of Warcry and Crusade and I'll have an emotional reaction to the price. I needed Yodabashi's push to go for Titanicus even though I know it's an extremely good game. Necromunda's price is almost a mercy since that stops me impulse buying it and then having it only take up space. And all of this is pricing in GW games being massively easier to get into play than anything else - so Malifaux, Warcaster etc would have me training a much more cynical eye on their sticker prices even while I was being "lol, whatever, just give me as many as I can field" to any box with "Adeptus Sororitas" on it.

Warhammer Quest is different; I can solo it so it's only competing with video games, and a) Joshin still won't sell me a PS5 b) I can't use the TV to play videogames in baseball season anyway and they play SIX GAMES A WEEK WTF***.

* I reckon if I mathed it out there'd be a cheap indy RPG that'd beat it - maybe Fiasco - but virtually every other RPG I either bought too many sourcebooks or played too infrequently to match Underworlds. 5th Edition D&D might actually get there, but I only play that begrudgingly :lol:

** It is obviously vitally important I own the most competitive units, for all those tournaments I don't attend. On the plus side Thunderwolf Cavalry are a lot of fun.

*** That being said go Giants

Jye Nicolson
Champion

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:02 am

jus wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 am
hmm Why would your stuff be rendered irrelevant? Is the new stuff so much better than the old stuff?
Newer warbands tend to have much tighter design on their faction cards, so older warbands have to lean more on universal cards to compete. Hence they're not bringing as many unique tricks to the table and will find the restricted list a bit harsher on them.

That shouldn't matter *too* much in casual play, for example Dave kicking my Skaeth team's teeth in with Magore last time, but you'd feel it at tournament level.

That being said Nighthaunt and Cursebreakers from Season 2 are still top tier, and most other Nightvault teams are very solid, it's more a problem for Shadespire teams who now each tend to have another warband doing the same thing a bit better.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:06 am

jus wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:35 am
Yes and no - the season 1 (Shadespire) warbands suffer a bit from being the first designed, so their in-faction cards are often not great. From season 2 on the design gets better, but in every season there are stronger and weaker warbands. For all but the highest levels of play, really, player skill and deckbuilding will definitely overcome those strengths and weaknesses, though. (fake edit: arrgh, too slow! Jye answered this above.)

@Jye - The short version is that Spevna is the online handle of a guy we know in Mie who has a very strong "I will never buy directly from GW" position, hence the "Spevna stance".
-----

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:00 am

I can't remember exactly which of GW's ridiculous attempts to screw over their playerbase in the early 2010's triggered it, but the Spevna Stance is (or was, I'm not sure of ol' Spev's current shopping behaviour) basically voting with your wallet. He refused to buy any GW products except for those he could get second hand. At various points in time, other forum members have been ticked off with GW's behaviour enough to declare that they would be similarly entering the Spevna Stance.

Examples of triggers for said stance have been:
Preventing customers overseas from ordering from their preferred online store and forcing them to shop domestically.
Making up exchange rates in their online store.
Switching all metal minis to resin because it's cheaper, then jacking up the price.
Aforementioned resin minis being horribly miscast 9 times out of 10.
Launching legal action against all and sundry, whether they were gaming related or not. The kids book 'Spots the Space Marine' being the worst offender.
Releasing new editions of 40K every 2 years, along with new Codexes.
Nuking the Old World.

There are probably more, but the Spevna Stance is a NagoyaHammer staple and goes in and out of fashion over time.
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300, in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417, in 2020: 450

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”