Bolthammer 40Action

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
kojibear
Legend

Re: Bolthammer 40Action

Post by kojibear » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:14 pm

I like the break down on the number of attacks for dedicated assault units. The idea for the second attack if the first hits sounds like a plan for the base assault units.

Regarding assault weapons, what would be your take on the symbolic and popular favourite chainsword?

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:28 pm

kojibear wrote:I like the break down on the number of attacks for dedicated assault units. The idea for the second attack if the first hits sounds like a plan for the base assault units.

Regarding assault weapons, what would be your take on the symbolic and popular favourite chainsword?
I hadn't really considered the Chainsword (or Chainaxe for that matter) as being any different from any other standard hand-to-hand weapon, though this was more due to previous editions of 40K treating it as such rather than any deliberate choice on my part. What do you think?

On another topic, I've been thinking about 'national' rules for 40K armies. Some BA rules seem appropriate, or maybe can be tweaked a little to fit. Other rules are necessary to make certain units fit into the game without changing their fluff.
In the examples below, one rule is new, one is a tweak of the Japanese Banzai Rule and the third is a tweak of the Russian Great Patriotic War Rule and the addition of a common special rule (which will need to be added to the points cost as and when I figure them out).

Space Marines (vanilla)
- Strike Force - With access to the best technology known to the Imperium of Man, the forces of the Adeptus Astartes make prolific use of autoloaders, suspensor webs and advanced targeting systems. Marines ignore the Team Weapon rule and may fire Fixed Weapons as if they were standard weapons.
- Combat Tactics - Adeptus Astartes are highly focused on completing their missions and rely on their armour and enhanced physiques to enable them to see it through, shrugging off fire that would see lesser warriors pinned down. Space Marines automatically pass any Advance orders they are given (which lowers the number of pinning markers on the unit as normal). Any other orders will still require an order test as usual.
- And They Shall Know No Fear - The bravery of the Space Marines is legendary across the galaxy. Chapter histories are replete with stories of valiant last stands against impossible odds and certain defeats turned into victories by the heroic deeds of these champions of humanity. Whenever a Space Marine unit would be removed from the table for failing a morale roll, it may reroll the test (with the same modifiers). In addition Space Marine units have the Fanatic special rule in assault.

Thoughts?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:58 am

Yesterday I played two games of BA40K, one against Badruck's Tau and the other against Kojibear's Exodites. In both cases I used Necrons and lost badly. I'm sure that Koji and the Ruckster will have their own take on things, but the following is what I took away from the game.

Positives
I don't think there were any big issues to playability that weren't/couldn't be covered fairly easily. I had printed out quick reference sheets for each army and the general rules changes, which proved more than sufficient for dealing with the majority of rolls. Aside from scenarios, the only time I really looked at the rulebook was to check what happens to passengers on destroyed transports. Now, part of that is due to my own familiarity with the BA rules, but there was nothing that came up that I felt was difficult to deal with.
None of the units on the table felt overpowered, though Badruck's unit of 20+ Kroot was very potent due to the amount of shots it had. Likewise, I think Koji's Warwalker squadron should be split into separate units, though that is more about how vehicles operate in BA.
All of the points I enjoy about BA seemed to carry over quite well, with the Order Die mechanic providing the game with it's own unique ebb and flow.

Negatives
Well, I got nearly tabled twice, that's a pretty big negative in my book. :lol: I think this may have been because I pitched my army fairly low to avoid putting people off by stomping them. Or I could just be a terrible player. Playing by ear as far as units and points go was always going to lead to an asymmetrical game, which I am fine with, but which may not appeal to everyone. Of course, being unable to roll higher than a 2 on my 3+ to hit rolls might have been a factor in my losses.
One point that quickly became apparent during the course of the day was that if you want a game where your hero is going to charge into a wall of models, rend them all limb from limb, leap upon the enemy tank nearby and punch it into scrap, then finally throw the entire remaining enemy army into the sun, then BA40K is not the game for you. With most units having one special rule at most, everything being killable and no invulnerable, will-not-die, feel-no-pain type saves, there isn't as much to differentiate units and leaders as there is in 40K. If you want your models to feel "special", 40K probably does that a lot better. Koji mentioned that he felt his autarch was a little lacklustre for what presumably is a highly talented warrior with hundreds of years of combat experience under his belt, access to ancient relics from the days when mankind was still living in caves and incredible speed and reflexes. From my point of view, for a 6 foot tall, 100 pounds when wet, soldier carrying a pointy piece of metal in a setting where city block sized warmachines are pretty common, he seemed fine. :D
So, while nothing was overpowered, I guess if you're coming to the game from 40K, a lot of stuff is going to feel very underpowered.
That said, some units felt like they were a little too weak. The Necron Wraiths were torn apart like wet tissue despite being massive mechanical monstrosities. The Tau Crisis suits too. So that may be something to address going forward.

Neutral
The army special rules didn't really come into play a whole lot. The Tau never had a reason to use theirs and the Eldar were similarly not in a situation where they were vital. The Necrons used their rules more often (perhaps because I was more aware of them), repairing a few warriors here and there, but also losing two of my stronger units as they phased out after being shot at once. Over more games I'd expect the rules to see more play, thereby allowing for more fine tuning.
Coming back to 40K models from historicals, the table felt really crowded. The foot print of some units was massive. GW minis take up a lot more space than I remembered.
I think Badruck and I played the Assaults Vs. Vehicles slightly wrong (it's pretty rare in BA), but it didn't really seem all that out of place. It is something to be aware of though.

TL:DR
Everything went ok, but more fine tuning is needed I think.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”