Thread for Checking Rulings

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000

Thread for Checking Rulings

Postby The Other Dave on Sun May 13, 2018 1:27 pm

This thread is precipitated by my checking up on a couple of on-the-fly rulings I made at NagoyaHammer (as I am, somehow, the "rules guy" for 40K now) and finding I'd made mistakes - I thought it might be helpful to sort of consolidate clearing-things-up so we don't inadvertently develop a bunch of house rules that aren't actually the rules.

I think it would be helpful if this thread sticks to things the rulebooks and FAQs actually say, rather than what we think would be realistic or reasonable, because 40K. :lol:

1. I told at least one person that vehicles can get cover as long as they're 50% obscured. As per the FAQ, though, like Infantry, vehicles too have to be within the terrain element that's obscuring them. To be clear, for Infantry to get Cover they have to be entirely within the terrain element (and don't explicitly need to be obscured per a model's-eye-view), anything else needs to be both "on or within" the terrain element and at least 50% obscured from the point of view of the shooting model. (Personally I'd read that as saying things that aren't infantry don't have to be entirely within a terrain element to get cover, though.)

2. Although I said you get to fire Overwatch on consolidating units, the rules don't support that ruling - it says clearly that you fire Overwatch against units that declared charges against you in the Charge Phase, and a consolidation move is not a declared charge, and takes place in the Fight Phase. Basically, Overwatch is a thing that happens in the Charge Phase, and consolidation is a thing that happens in the Fight Phase.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Re: Thread for Checking Rulings

Postby Dekana on Sun May 13, 2018 2:34 pm

The Other Dave wrote:I told at least one person that vehicles can get cover as long as they're 50% obscured. As per the FAQ, though, like Infantry, vehicles too have to be within the terrain element that's obscuring them. To be clear, for Infantry to get Cover they have to be entirely within the terrain element (and don't explicitly need to be obscured per a model's-eye-view), anything else needs to be both "on or within" the terrain element and at least 50% obscured from the point of view of the shooting model. (Personally I'd read that as saying things that aren't infantry don't have to be entirely within a terrain element to get cover, though.)

Huh, I thought that was how it worked! This came up in one of my games against Auxryn. I initially said a targeted ork trukk had to be within some ruins and obscured, but we ended up giving it cover just for being obscured because a reading of the rules seemed to support that.

The Other Dave wrote:2. Although I said you get to fire Overwatch on consolidating units, the rules don't support that ruling - it says clearly that you fire Overwatch against units that declared charges against you in the Charge Phase, and a consolidation move is not a declared charge, and takes place in the Fight Phase. Basically, Overwatch is a thing that happens in the Charge Phase, and consolidation is a thing that happens in the Fight Phase.

Yep, that's correct. One thing to note is that if a unit piles in or consolidates into a unit that wasn't charged, that unit will be able to fight during the same fight phase (it now has an enemy within 1" of it).
So for example, if my unit of guardsmen charge some grots, wipe them out, and consolidate to within one inch of some tankbustas, those tankbusters will be able to fight the guardsmen in the same phase.

Here's one from me:

3. Units in open-topped vehicles don't get to fire overwatch. (explicit in the FAQ for Index: Xenos 2)
You can't spell slaughter without laughter.
Dekana
Veteran

Re: Thread for Checking Rulings

Postby The Other Dave on Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 pm

Dekana wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:2. Although I said you get to fire Overwatch on consolidating units, the rules don't support that ruling - it says clearly that you fire Overwatch against units that declared charges against you in the Charge Phase, and a consolidation move is not a declared charge, and takes place in the Fight Phase. Basically, Overwatch is a thing that happens in the Charge Phase, and consolidation is a thing that happens in the Fight Phase.

Yep, that's correct. One thing to note is that if a unit piles in or consolidates into a unit that wasn't charged, that unit will be able to fight during the same fight phase (it now has an enemy within 1" of it).
So for example, if my unit of guardsmen charge some grots, wipe them out, and consolidate to within one inch of some tankbustas, those tankbusters will be able to fight the guardsmen in the same phase.

I at least did get that right. :lol:
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Return to Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000