Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Re: Let's have a GW rumors and sneak peeks thread!

Post by Primarch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 am

Jye Nicolson wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:53 am
job wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:53 am
Hm, I’d take it all with a big heap of salt. The last round of CA rumors were wildly off and there seemed to be a bit of doom-mongering mixed into the reports. My other thought is that a new edition wouldn’t be the worst thing. While a bit rough on occasional players (such as myself), it does keep the rules dynamic and keeps the game from getting stale. As usual my two cents.
If the lifespan of the Marine Codex + supplements is a year or so, there will be sadness.
That pretty much sums up 6th and 7th edition, so GW has precedent for it. Fingers crossed they are smarter this time around (assuming the rumour is true).
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Jye Nicolson
Warrior

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:59 am

Primarch wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:11 am
That pretty much sums up 6th and 7th edition, so GW has precedent for it. Fingers crossed they are smarter this time around (assuming the rumour is true).
I said Marines because you buy (at least) two books to play them, but it's actually the beautiful new Sisters Codex I'll mourn.

Unless they get buffed through the roof in an index-alike in 6 months, then we're all good.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 pm

My feeling is that the “Index” thing is a red herring. The move from 7th-to-8th was a system overhaul on the level of 2nd-to-3rd. Both times they had rewrite all stat lines and add new ones for every (or most every) unit in the game. I’d imagine that much like the move in between the other intervening editions it won’t make codexes irrelevant. If anything the current system of regular FAQs, annual Chapter Approved, steady Codex changes, and fairly good player feedback, 40k is in a better place and better equipped to make a change in editions.

But call me a “Positive Polly” if you like. That’s just my thinking currently.
Models Painted, 2019
32 28mm miniature
1 walker

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Hmmn. Should it come to pass, I'd be very sour about the idea of re-buying codexes again, as I only just overcame my distaste for the same thing in 5th/6th ed when I bought the current Craftworld and Death Guard books. I'd likely end up visiting our Russian comrades for the new stuff. But, looking on the bright side, 40k needs a(nother) massive kick in the arse, rules-wise, and could stand to be improved by incorporating a bunch of things from newer GW offerings, so, maybe that's a good thing? I guess?
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

Karantu
Warrior

Post by Karantu » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm

I also think that the 8th to 9th transition will probably be a lot smoother than 7th to 8th and will not invalidate too much of the current version. It'll probably be more like AoS's transition to its 2nd edition. And since PA feels like how the end of 7th felt with all the Narrative progression it might as well be the "End Times" of 8th. Hopefully its more than just a slight revision of the rules though.

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Karantu wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm
I also think that the 8th to 9th transition will probably be a lot smoother than 7th to 8th and will not invalidate too much of the current version. It'll probably be more like AoS's transition to its 2nd edition. And since PA feels like how the end of 7th felt with all the Narrative progression it might as well be the "End Times" of 8th. Hopefully its more than just a slight revision of the rules though.
Actually I wonder if part of it would just be to incorporate all the additions made in the Big FAQs and such. If you just starting 40k now, you have to buy the rulebook and then get pointed towards nearly a half dozen other supplements (FAQs and CAs).
Models Painted, 2019
32 28mm miniature
1 walker

Konrad
Wargod

Post by Konrad » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:38 am

job wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 pm
Karantu wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:12 pm
Actually I wonder if part of it would just be to incorporate all the additions made in the Big FAQs and such. If you just starting 40k now, you have to buy the rulebook and then get pointed towards nearly a half dozen other supplements (FAQs and CAs).
This makes sense. I can't imagine they would re-tool the entire game again.
...and now his Head was full of nothing but Inchantments, Quarrels, Battles, Challenges, Wounds, Complaints, Amours, and abundance of Stuff and Impossibilities.....
Cervantes, Don Quixote

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:30 am

A couple announcements at New Year's open besides the Ogor for Underworlds.

First was a typically-for-modern-GW's-social-media-people clever video promising "pointy aelves" Pretty Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977qaeqBTzw&t=0s

(For those who don't want to click the link: Lots of pics of Jes Goodwin designs for WHFB high elves, and a promise that Teclis - who's a god now BTW - is getting an army together, and that they'll have pointy ears, pointy spears and pointy helmets. Since Jes is still a big cheese in the design department, I can't imagine they'll go far wrong with this one.)

Also the monsters we've seen before should be released for WarCry soon, and we got lots of pics of the forthcoming full Sisters release, which all looks pretty cool and very Sisters-y indeed:
(They also included good old Damien 1427 from Inquisitor in the lot, which is a cool nod.)
There's also a variant with a full iron maiden sarcophogus.

Plus some new Tau coming.
This one bugs me because it misses the whole point of a master/slave robot arm situation (namely, that the point is the slave arms are of a significantly different size to the master arms), but what're you going to do? Look at this nerd, worried about realism of robotic power suit arms but not the existence of a psychic corpse emperor. :lol:
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 5 infantry
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

job
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by job » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:04 pm

You’ll burn, heretic!

Oh, that sister Command set is going on to my purchase docket, if not just for the Cherubs.
Models Painted, 2019
32 28mm miniature
1 walker

Primarch
Evil Overlord

Post by Primarch » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:00 pm

New Jes Goodwin High Elves? (It doesn't matter how many times GW say it, there is no 'A' in Elves) I am provisionally interested in such an occurrence. But do I really need to buy a High Elf army for the third time? :D
Painted Minis in 2014: 510, in 2015: 300,
in 2016 :369, in 2019: 417.

Return to “Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000”