Last Man Standing/King of the Hill

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer 40,000

Re: Last Man Standing/King of the Hill

Postby Primarch on Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 pm

me_in_japan wrote:I just wondered if the d cannon eldar tank was ok. Its a new toy and i fancy using it. Likewise the wraithseer.

Given that it wont be shooting it's fancy cannon in the Demo Derby and isnt an HQ or a Troops choice (at least I dont think it is), it wouldn't be as bad as say....a Land Raider Achilles or a Caestus Assault Ram.

me_in_japan wrote:for the walkerthon, can eldar take wraithlords please? Its not like a wraithlord would be particularly broken, given what itd be up against,
Hmm, S10+2d6 penetration, rerolling attacks, 3 wounds, 2 attacks and a BS4 Brightlance Vs Twin Linked Lascannon, AV12, 2 attacks at S10 on a marine dread. Unless the wraithlord rolls a lot of 1's for it's Wraithsight test it will be tough to kill, but not impossible. Of course, if you won we could all call you names behind your back for bringing along something that clearly wasn't "fair."

Admiral-Badruck wrote:I reckon the demolition derby will not be very cool if skimmers are taken they are just too hard to hit with a land based tank I can take a all kinds of ramming good ness but skimers have a 3 plus dodge roll so no shooting make it a bit too hard to kill them in a ram only game

This makes for a darn good point when you consider how swooshy skimmers can be, but dont forget that the ramming unit also takes a hit.
E.g. A Raider with a shock prow tank shocks a Land Raider after moving 24"
The Land Raider takes a S9-10 hit against it's armour of 14. The Raider takes a S10 hit against it's armour of 11-13 and it is open topped. If the raider gets immobilised it is dead since it went flat out.
And Vect's Dias of Destruction A) isnt a tank, so cant ram and B) cant buy a shock prow to gain a ram attack. So its not really worth taking after all.
Likewise, Trukks cant ram either.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Mike the Pike on Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm

@The madmiral: 'oo asked you?
Getting out of hand is kinda the point. Please go back and read the bit about this event being mostly for a laugh rather than a serous tourney. :lol:

As the Demo Derby and Walkerthon are my brain(damaged)child(ren) I declare myself Grand Pooh-bah of any and everything to do with them, so there. :D :D :D

As Prim points out, if the vectmobile isn't a tank and therefore can't ram, then there is no no point in taking it, is there? Luckily someone took my advice and read the ramming rules. I might have to get off my immense backside and do the same.

I'm gonna allow Wraithlords for the Walkerthon. The monstrous creature thing could be a bit of an advantage, though, so prepare for lotsa whinging should you win that event. Daemon princes, Avatars, Hive Tyrants, etc = NO
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Postby Primarch on Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Mike the Pike wrote:I'm gonna allow Wraithlords for the Walkerthon. The monstrous creature thing could be a bit of an advantage, though, so prepare for lotsa whinging should you win that event. Daemon princes, Avatars, Hive Tyrants, etc = NO

How about named walkers?
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Fri May 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Vect's Dias of Destruction A) isnt a tank, so cant ram and B) cant buy a shock prow to gain a ram attack.

aha! but no!

The DE Codex, pg Vect wrote:"Vect may ride to battle on the Dais of Destruction...blahblahblah...The Dais of Destruction must...blahblahblah (nothing about upgrade limitations)...Other than this, it is treated exactly like a raider."

I move that the Dais of Destruction can get upgrades, just like any other raider can. If it does, shock prows mean it can ram n stuff.

I reckon the demolition derby will not be very cool if skimmers are taken

Yes, well, some of us play armies that dont have any other options.

The best way to do this is to give every one either an ork truck or a codex Space space marines rhino and go at it... other wise it just will get out of hand...

My dear admiral, the whole point of this shenanigans is to see who can bring the stupidest tank/IC/unit to the game. Bending the rules is integral to the enjoyment of the affair. Breaking them, no. Pushing them to the limit, yes. Bear in mind, though, that if you bend them too far, people will call you an asshat. This is why we're putting so much effort into ironing out the foggy bits of the rules, and why I keep asking finicky questions. I dont want to irritate people on the day, but I do want to know exactly how much wiggle room I have for cunning plans.

Incidentally, My options for tanks for the Demo Derby are (as youd all know, if you thought about it) :
Eldar shooty tank (falcon, fire prism, d-cannon thingey etc.)
Wave Serpent (which would be silly)
Raider (even sillier)
Ravager (not as silly as a raider, but still pretty daft)
The Vectmobile

All of these are skimmers, which as the admiral points out are hard to ram, but which as prim points out will die as soon as they try to ram something else.

Hence the push for the Vectmobile. Yes, I know I have a land raider, but thatd be boring.

@pikeythepoobah : thank you for the wraithlord. He shall start sharpening his wraithsword with his wraithwhetstone. Incidentally, Im still keen to use those things I asked you about before. You know, the things I asked you about and you said "yes, you can use them, but everyone else will gang up on you."
Those things. (nudgenudegwinkwinkknowwhatimeanknowwhatimean...)
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Spevna on Fri May 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Hence the push for the Vectmobile. Yes, I know I have a land raider, but thatd be boring.

Problem solved, bring your LR. Or one of your rhinos.

I vote for no skimmers.

And I shall be bringing a LR, a chaos LR that it, so none of that machine spirit nonsense for me!
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby Admiral-Badruck on Fri May 13, 2011 11:16 pm

So we can not take upgrades? so If I take a Battle wagon I can not take a Deffroller? if I take a Truck I cannot take a Ram?
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Mike the Pike on Fri May 13, 2011 11:46 pm

The Grand Pooh-Bah says... :D

Skimmers OK. Remember though that when you ram you have to be going your fastest speed. The table will be pretty small, so there will be nowhere to hide. Generally the armour sucks. We will be having random turns.

You can take any/all upgrades from your vehicles codex entry. Red paint Jobs, Deffrollas, Possession etc etc That's what they are there for after all.

The Vectmobile is out. It is not a tank and according to the FAQ may NOT take any of the upgrades available to a Raider. A Raider with a shock prow would be OK as the prow specifically allows it to tank shock/ram.

Ork Trukks are out. They are not TANKS! That goes for anything else anyone might be thinking of bringing. If it's not a Tank then it can't ram so won't be much fun to play with in a game focussed on ramming. Duh!
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Postby Mike the Pike on Fri May 13, 2011 11:48 pm

@Prim - Should be OK. I assume you are thinking of Bjorn the Limp Wristed? :twisted:
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

Postby Admiral-Badruck on Sat May 14, 2011 12:31 am

I hate to point it out but if a Dark eldar raider with a ram plow is in because it can ram so is an ork truck with a ram plow. as they are abel to ram... duh...
"i agree with badruck" -...
MIJ
Consider me a member of the "we love badruck" fan-club.
MIJ
Admiral-Badruck
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Mike the Pike on Sat May 14, 2011 12:58 am

Gee, I didn't notice that when I was flicking thru my non-existent copy of the Ork Codex. If you wanna take a truck with a ram plow and it specifically says it can ram then go for it. BTW I thought you were running some event today?
Mike the Pike
Prince of Purple

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000 - ウォーハンマー40,000