Selling on eBay

Have some models to sell or bits to trade? Do you need that 1 tiny piece to finish your conversion? Please post here.

Selling on eBay

Postby Dungeon Lord on Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 am

So for all you eBay gangsters out there, I have a question.

When you sell stuff on eBay do you the American site? If so, how do you calculate the shipping? Do you just put them in a box and taken them to the post office? Where do you get the boxes from?

Any tips of advice would be appreciated.
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Re: Selling on eBay

Postby me_in_japan on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:43 am

I dunno how you calculate shipping per se, but from what I've heard about eBay, you'll do better if you use the American site, agree to ship anywhere, and charge prices in dollars, not yen. Also, don't put your shipping more than about 5 bucks or so. You can cover shipping costs in the starting price, rather than charge them separately. Buyers hate shipping charges. I've seen cheap models not shift because the shipping was 15bucks, or worse "contact seller for information" and the same minis go for much more money, just cos te shipping was "flat rate 5dollars, worldwide"
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Dungeon Lord on Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:18 am

Good advice. Thanks.

Maybe I will check the rates with a few test packs of a unit or vehicle to see how much it'd cost to the US and UK.
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Postby Spevna on Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:23 am

me_in_japan wrote:I dunno how you calculate shipping per se, but from what I've heard about eBay, you'll do better if you use the American site, agree to ship anywhere, and charge prices in dollars, not yen. Also, don't put your shipping more than about 5 bucks or so. You can cover shipping costs in the starting price, rather than charge them separately. Buyers hate shipping charges. I've seen cheap models not shift because the shipping was 15bucks, or worse "contact seller for information" and the same minis go for much more money, just cos te shipping was "flat rate 5dollars, worldwide"

Sage words.
Stuff painted in 2014 56
Stuff painted in 2015 118
Stuff painted in 2016 207
Stuff painted in 2017 0
Spevna

Postby Danguinius on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:28 am

I`ve sold dozens of things from here (in Hiroshima) worldwide via eBay. Yes, use the American site. If you have lots of free time, you can box up you items to sell, take them to the post office and they`ll weigh them for you (thus telling you how much to ship to whichever country you ask). But this method is a bit of a pain in the rear as most people don`t have time to go back and forth to the post office everytime someone sends you an inquiry ("How much to ship to ~~?"). What I do is write this declaimer: "I have a flat shipping rate for all purchases worldwide. This applies to anyone and everyone." Then, I guest-imate what it would cost to send it the US (pretty far from Japan) based on size and weight, and punch that in as my "flat rate". I may aim a bit low on this shipping cost since my overall objective is to sell the item. I do end up selling and shipping some things to the US, but most of my buyers are in Europe, Australia or Asia (as I guess they are used to dealing with international shipping costs). I have never gotten negative feedback (on anything, including shipping costs). I`ve never had anyone try to haggle the shipping costs. If your estimate is way over the actual shipping cost, you can partially refund the buyer with a click of the button via Paypal. I`ve done this a few time (which makes really happy buyers). I`ve sold & shipped almost 70 items in the last seven years. I hope this helps.

Danguinius
We are the Blood Angels, and we fear not. We are proud sons of the Imperium and the protectors of mankind. We are the Angels of Death and the Emperor`s Wrath – D(S)anguinius
Danguinius
Champion

Postby Dungeon Lord on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:48 am

It does! Thanks for taking the time :D
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Postby Dungeon Lord on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:56 am

Did anyone else have trouble listing an item. I have set up a seller's account and the payment method for seller fees, but it is still shafting me and not letting me list anything. Has anyone else had this problem?
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Postby ashmie on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 am

No I haven't had that problem. Maybe you need to match a PayPal account to your seller account so the money can be taken?
They always charge fees even if the item doesn't sell these days.
Forget about yesterday, don't worry about tomorrow because all that matters is today.

Minis painted in 2017: 13
Minis painted in 2018: 37
ashmie
Wargod

Postby Dungeon Lord on Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 am

Thanks to all who posted here. Just to let you know, in the end, I had to call their "seller vetting" section at 2:00am and they send that they had froze the account because I hadn't used to in a while. But I had but a couple things.

So I had to ask them to allow the selling option to be used in my account. The final hoop has been jumped through!
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Postby Dungeon Lord on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:02 am

Do you guys register your "small parcels"? It costs 410 yen extra. Or do you just ship it and hope??

Or do you just use EMS every time?

Thanks in advance :!:
Dungeon Lord
Legend

Return to Trading