28mm painted 19th-century samurai/civilian figures

Have some models to sell or bits to trade? Do you need that 1 tiny piece to finish your conversion? Please post here.

28mm painted 19th-century samurai/civilian figures

Postby Andy on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi all! I'm a complete newcomer to miniature wargaming, and I'm trying to assemble my first collection. I'd like to do something small-scale set in the turbulent 1860s in Japan, and to that end I'm looking for a small band (say 5-10 figures) of samurai in civilian dress; something like these guys from Perry Miniatures:
https://arteis.files.wordpress.com/2013 ... ryday1.jpg

To do battle with them, I'm also looking for a similar-sized group of armed/unarmed civilians, to represent Western merchants, diplomats, sailors etc, as well as perhaps a red-coated officer or two. I haven't found a picture exactly similar to what I'm looking for, but it seems that anything from the ACW period would work well, and there must be some good figures out there.

I would be willing to pay cash for these, as well as postage if necessary. Thanks for reading, and do drop me a line if you think you have what I'm looking for!
Andy
Rookie

Re: 28mm painted 19th-century samurai/civilian figures

Postby job on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:35 am

Try Wargames Foundry. They have a large range of 19th century miniatures and even a range of Victorian/Edwardian civilians:

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collect ... edwardians

I hear some of them are Perry brothers molds for the time they worked for Foundry, so they probably will be compatible with the Perry Brothers range.
Models Painted, 2014
24 10mm vehicles, 30 10mm figures
11 15mm vehicles, 71 15mm models, 4 guns
124 28mm models
9 28mm vehicles or monsters (1 Sturmgeschetz III, 1 Sdkfz 250/9, 1 Panzer V, 2 gyroflyers, 1 Rhino, 1 Daemon Prince, 1 Defiler, 1 Helbrute)
job
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby Andy on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:21 am

Those guys look absolutely spot-on! I'm loving the ex-soldiers and sailors, they're great! I've never touched a paintbrush since my schooldays, though, so I'm on the hunt for pre-painted models but if I can't get hold of any, these look like an excellent fall-back. Thanks!
Andy
Rookie

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:23 am

Some unasked-for advice for the new wargamer! :D

You might also look into painting! Pretty much all of us here enjoy it to one degree or another, and it's a major part of the wargaming hobby for some - not to mention (and this is the main reason I'm making this post) it'll be a lot cheaper to throw a couple thousand yen the Perrys' way for miniatures, and pick up a simple range of primary color paints from the hobby store, than to buy painted minis. There's lots of tutorials online (I'd actually recommend the GW tutorials for new painters, as while they - unsurprisingly - focus on their sci-fi and fantasy ranges, they're very solidly geared towards showing people new to painting how to get good-looking models on the table quickly) and painting is not really anywhere near as daunting as it can appear.

Also, if you're just looking to dip your toes in, you can often go a lot cheaper if you pick a difference scale - 1:72 plastics, in particular, are ubiquitous, very cheap, and not really any more difficult to paint than 28mm. You can get a box of 44 assorted samurai from Zvezda for 5000 yen or so, more than you could possibly need for both sides in a skirmish game*, with plenty of room for expansion into slightly-larger small-unit games if the bug gets you good. You could probably scare up some ACW sets for similar prices too.

*As Primarch has suggested elsewhere, you'll probably find that you'll want to collect both sides if it's a time period or theater nobody else is currently playing - historical gamers very often end up having to do this. :D
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:24 am

Re pre-painted vs paint yourself. I have no idea about historical figs specifically, but for a point of comparison, I charge 2500yen per 28mm mini I paint for people. I realise that may seem like a lot to someone new to the hobby, but believe me, that’s bottom end for a decent paint job. A small set of paints* will set you back maybe 3-4000 yen, although what people define as “a small set” will vary widely**. Also, it’s fun, painting your own stuff. The only reason not to would be lack of time, or a physical inability to paint (eye trouble, hand tremors etc.). To be fair, some folks just dont like painting, but most people seem to get a kick out of seeing their own work hit the tabletop, regardless of the perceived painting standard. You should give it a whirl*** :)

* there are many decent brands. Citadel (games workshop), Vallejo, Scale 75, Reaper Master Series, P3 are all comparable.

** at minimum, red, blue, yellow, white, black. Life is greatly improved by the addition of purple, brown, flesh tone and variants of blue/green.

*** or pay me to do it :D
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Primarch on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:09 am

Hey,

Well, I think I actually have the models in the picture you linked to somewhere. They aren't painted though.

As others have said, you have a couple of options.
A: Learn to paint minis for yourself. It's not for everybody, takes ages and costs money. But it is fairly rewarding to be able to look at all the figures on the table and say "I made this happen".
B: Buy pre-painted figures via eBay. Given your choice of eras and settings, I'm not sure how viable this will be as they are fairly niche. If you were doing WW2 or the American Civil War you may have more luck.
C: Pay someone to paint the minis for you. As Me_in_Japan says, this isn't necessarily a cheap option. You'll usually be paying more for the painting than for the figure. This is mainly paying for the painter's time and experience. There are a few people locally who do paint for commission, or you can outsource to an overseas painter. Some places may be a bit cheaper than the prices M_i_J quotes, but you'll also be paying a shipping fee on top. Generally cheaper prices = less details on the models, which may be ok for you, I don't know.

Either way, I'd suggest looking around the web, seeing what is available and making a list of minis that you think look interesting, terrain and so forth. Have a plan for what you want and how much you think you can spend and then look at painting options.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby me_in_japan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:15 am

By the way, on a completely non paint related topic, have you ever wargamed before? I appreciate you have a clear preference for a particular time period/scale of game, but it might well be a good idea to try a game or two of anything at all just to see if wargaming in general is how you imagine/hope it will be. I’m sure folks here will have their own suggestions, and will be happy to supply all the needed minis/terrain etc. There are plenty of simple-ish skirmish scale games to choose from. Just a thought, before you go splashing cash on a hobby which (potentially) you might try once and think “actually, maybe not.”
2018 totals
minis
acquired (bought or arrived via KS) : 0 sold : 4 painted : 15 money spent: 0GBP money in: 175GBP
Magic cards
bought: lots money spent: 343GBP
brushes, books, paint, etc
money spent: 0GBP
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Postby Andy on Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:59 am

I have never wargamed before! Absolute beginner! My game plan going forward is:

1) to attend some NagoyaHammer events (trying to talk my boss into giving me May 13th off, so I can come along then) and get some hands-on experience with anyone who's willing to show me the ropes, and

2) at the same time to assemble a very small collection of miniatures and get a rulebook, so I can at least have a very basic game with my own kit. For the ruleset, I've received some really interesting suggestions, but I'm gravitating towards "In Her Majesty's Name" and just cutting out the steampunk elements. For the models, at this stage I'd just like stuff I can use on the tabletop, so I'm not overly-fussed about paint jobs or details.

Once I've had a taste of how fun the hobby can be, I'd like to start painting and diversifying my model collection, but for now I'm just after what I think are the basics. What do people think? Is 1860s Japan a bit ambitious for a first-timer? I'm happy enough to try something more popular and accessible if this is biting off a bit too much.
Andy
Rookie

Postby Primarch on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:06 pm

If you can make it along to NagoyaHammer on the Sunday (or even on the Saturday), I'll have stuff with me that you can try out. Just let me know when you're coming.

In Her Majesty's Name may be a good call, I haven't played it myself, but I have played a similar set of rules by the same author. I'll have to dig my copy out and reread it. I think it should fit what you are after. I totally forgot about it when I gave you a list of suggestions the other day.

I don't think 1860s Japan is particularly challenging as far as projects go. Sengoku era Samurai are a pain to paint, but later period uniforms are far more reasonable. Manchuria also seems like a colourful period to start off with, though I guess it will be easier to find suitable terrain for Japan. If you're aiming at just a few models to begin with, so much the better.

From my own experience gaming, I'd say to go with what excites you the most. It's obviously easier to find opponents if you play the same thing as everyone else. However, it's much harder to find the motivation if it's not something that appeals to you. Enthusiasm for your project will help you get it done and to do it well. You have an image of what you want, so work towards realizing it the best you can.

At the same time, your focus is pretty niche, so not everyone will share your enthusiasm. (I'm a sucker for nearly everything, so I'll always be up for a game and may well assemble my own force once I clear some of my own hobby backlog). As and when you get stuff ready for the tabletop, post in the relevant monthly thread that you're looking for a game and expect a trade off. You play one game of your choice, you try one game of someone else's. That way everyone is happy and you may even stumble across your next project.
Prims Painty Points > +924.5
Finished Minis in 2014: 510.....Finished Minis in 2015: 300
Finished Minis in 2016 (as of Nov 30): 369 + 2 Tables of Terrain
Primarch
Evil Overlord

Postby Andy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 pm

Right! Ordered my first set of models - 12 samurai and 12 ACW civilians from Perry miniatures, and the IHMN rulebooks! I'm popping back to the UK for Golden Week and will collect them there. When I get back to Nagoya I will seek out a paint shop and get a basic set for painting them up. I expect results to be...mixed...

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to attend NagoyaHammer on either the Saturday or the Sunday, thanks to some awful work scheduling. Are there any other smaller events on at other times? If not, I will just have to wait until June, though there's a good chance I might have painted my guys up by then!
Andy
Rookie

Next

Return to Trading