Shadespire

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
Jye Nicolson
Rookie

Re: Shadespire

Post by Jye Nicolson » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:02 am

I think I'm only missing the Reavers and skellies now so I may as well snap them up when I see them next. Skellies are particularly tempting since that's a chunk of yet another Warcry team.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:30 pm

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/

Hmm, looks like (for official competitive events, anyway, which matters not a whit to 99% of the games I play) they're cycling out the neutral cards from season 1. I guess that sort of thing is SOP for card games like Magic and so on?
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2019:
40K / Kill Team: 47 Infantry
Age of Sigmar / Shadespire: 33 Infantry, a bunch of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 5 Titans, 6 Knights

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Just saw that. I....kinda understand why they’re doing it (basically, all the reasons they listed in the article) but if I were a competitive player I’d be less than pleased about it. Rotation is one of the most highly debated/disliked aspect of magic. At least with MtG there are “eternal” formats, where all cards remain legal, as well as Standard, which is (like Shadespire) on a 1 yr rotation. However, it’s fair to say that the eternal formats don’t change very much year to year. Also, that’s where the really pricey cards are found, and gw may want to avoid that kind of secondary market issue.

Still, when all is said and done, it won’t really affect us, unless we fancy heading off to tourneys any time. I’ve actually never really looked into competitive Shadespire, or its deck lists. Are there any stupid broken cards/combos from the first season that you’re aware of?
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:47 pm

I don't really follow the competitive game, but from what I understand not really, no - the only full-on broken thing in season 1 was apparently building a deck towards getting all the Katophrane artifacts on one model and then wiping up with him, but they nerfed that. There are definitely cards that are straight-up better or worse than others, but the banned and restricted list seems to keep things in check.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:15 am

Hmm. It does occur to me that taking the season 1 neutrals out of play explains why they're planning on removing the Shadespire warbands from sale, since they'd now have a bunch of outdated neutral cards. This means they'll either:

a) Re-release the S1 warbands either with S2/S3 neutrals or no neutrals at all.
b) Just release the S1 warbands' faction-linked cards in dedicated packs, expecting people who want to start them to buy the AoS-targeted Underworlds unit boxes, or
c) Just not sell them anymore.

A seems unlikely to me if only because it'd require thought about what new neutrals go best with which old warband in the first case, and no longer provide "everything you need to get started with a warband, plus some options" in the second (as well as mess with pricing). I'd hope they go with b over c, but who knows? On the face of it, b would be a very easy option for them, as they already have the warbands for sale and would just have to shrink-wrap packs of cards to support them.

Ain't GW Kremlinology fun? :lol:
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:22 am

There's a how to play video up on the Community site:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-3/

(Say what you will about Becca Scott's slick professionalism, she is good at clearly explaining stuff.) Some nice changes, some interesting changes. No pushing models with Guard is super-good, adopting a keyword system will make all kinds of stuff easier to parse (and also allow some cool stuff like they've done with giving certain fighters keywords, and linking upgrades to that keyword), and the dual objectives (score if X OR Y) will help those "man, this objective is completely useless in this matchup" situations.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:22 am

Also, card images suggest two of the other 6 warbands will include Nurgle and Brutes, which are both cool and good.
-----

me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Post by me_in_japan » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:42 am

Aye, I watched that vid, and it’s pretty idiot proof. Warband-wise, nurgle is good. I’d like to see dark elves though, or some savage orcs.
current (2019) hobby interests
minis
Nurgle daemons for AoS, Ghosties for Shadespire
Magic cards
tribal zombies, Standard, too much MtGA.
Hobby finances
minis: in the black
MtG: So, so red :(

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:13 am

It's hard to guess - the only thing they really stick to is having at least one each of Order, Chaos, Destruction and Death each cycle, so if we have Order = Kurnoth (Wood elfy satyr guys), Chaos = Beastmen and Nurgle, Destruction = Brutes, and one Death warband (my money's on the new bone samurai), that leaves three unaccounted for. Witch elves is possible, but TBH I'd be surprised if there were two elf releases and zero stormcast. Two different orc warbands also seems unlikely, but who knows?

Looking at the factions on the AoS page, still unrepresented are: daughters of khaine, lizardmen, slaanesh, ghouls, ogres and savage orcs (plus the new bone guys and the satyrs).
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:25 pm

And there you go, hours after I post they announce one of the warbands is...

Goblin wolf-riders of all things. Interesting! An elite goblin warband, presumably very speedy and without a doubt not as tough as the three-model stormcast warbands we know and love. A goblin on a wolf with a bow is going to have an insane threat range.
-----

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”