Shadespire

For the discussion of anything related to Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar
me_in_japan
Moderator of Swoosh!

Re: Shadespire

Post by me_in_japan » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm not super sold on the minis, but then I've never really been a goblin kinda guy. The sculpts of the wolves are very nice, though, and having 3 mobile archers on the board will be very different, for sure.
current (2019) hobby interests
eh, y'know. Stuff, and things

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 am

OK, it's build-up-to-release Beastgrave Info Bomb time!

There's a warband intro for the beastmen: https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

Which is mostly interesting for showing some new mechanics, notably what seems to be the "new rule" this season, a somewhat Magic-esque system of placing tokens on fighter cards that you can later spend for effects - the beastman leader starts with a token, and gets another for every enemy killed, that he can spend as a reaction to let any friendly fighter re-roll an attack die.

Overall the beastmen seem a solid all-rounder warband, typical for something in the 5-to-6-fighter range, with a leader who's an OK mage and an OK fighter, a beatstick, and 4 weak dudes with a mix of ranged and melee weapons and quite a lot of interactions with cards (through the Hunter keyword) to buff them.

Also over the last few news items they've previewed a bunch of card images, which seem to give the warbands for the season as:
-Beastmen
-Satyr wood elf dudes
-Goblin wolf riders
-Nurgle
-Orc Brutes
-Ogre Hunter(s), including their sabretooth tiger(s) and gnoblars (Personally I'm betting on one ogre, one tiger, and two or three gnoblars, or something like that)
-Daughters of Khaine
-Flesh-eater Courts

Heavy on Destruction, which fits with the season 3 setting, and no Stormcast, which is a breath of fresh air.
Feel free to call me Dave!
-----
Miniatures painted in 2020:
AoS-iverse: 87 infantry
40K-iverse: 29 infantry, 1 monster, a whole mess of terrain
Adeptus Titanicus: 1 Titan

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 am

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-2/

And the Kurnothi too, with a similar token ability (the warhorn dude can take an action to get a warhorn counter, which then gets discarded on the warband's next Charge action to allow them to reroll any number the dice - a pretty powerful ability with a pretty high opportunity cost). Their boss is a monster, with an 8 threat range 2-damage javelin attack on the charge, and a lion that can get an upgrade to get 7 move (!) and 3 defense. Very much a glass cannon warband looks like, with lots and lots of mobility and very few damage points.

Also looks like they've (finally?) added a dodge analogue to Cleave, Ensnare, which doesn't let dodges count as successes in defense rolls.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Veteran

Post by Jye Nicolson » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:25 pm

https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-1/

New season rule changes look good. Flippable objectives and placeable lethal hexes look like they make things more interactive, should be less of that "we're placing objectives even though neither side cares" factor. Guard preventing push effects and score immediately ("surge") objectives waiting until after multi-action activations like Charge ("superactions") to score both sound like they bolster objective holding a bit relative to the run-around-murdering-and-surge-scoring style.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:18 am

Yeah, overall I like these rules changes - small tweaks that address some trends in the meta (it's been a long time since I included any Hold Objective cards in a serious deck). Making the board more dynamic is especially cool - as it stands if one or both sides pick featureless boards it can be very "safe," so making lethal hexes a more unavoidable part of the game will be interesting. As someone planning on focusing on goblins for a bit, I'm a bit afraid of all the lethal hexes and the addition of Ensnare, but dealing with changes are part of why the seasonal shakeup is a Good Thing.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:22 am

In related news, the Warhammer Underworlds Online folks put a couple hours of play on the latest closed beta build up on YouTube the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtJxJDd_Uc

Mostly remarkable because it's, well, exactly like watching people play the tabletop game, which is exactly what I want out of it. Still no word on pricing or anything, but I'm hoping they have a pricing structure similar to the physical game, with a couple warbands (almost certainly Steelheart and Magore, as that's all we've seen from them so far) bundled with the game, and others available as DLC with extra cards and such.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:19 am

Next warband is Flesheater Courts, the Grymwatch:

I dig 'em (bats!) although I'm not too keen on the green skin. Yet Another Seven-Model Death Warband is a bit ehh from me but oh well. :D A couple really nice sculpts in there, particularly the leader with the axe and the long-haired lady ghoul.

Also a post about tournament formats, which is interesting. "Championship" is what's been the standard organized play format, with only the most recent two seasons of cards, the banned and restricted list (an eyeroll from me for renaming "banned" as "forsaken," but whatever, heh), plus the added restriction of a limit on the number of "score immediately" objectives you can include. Then they add a team format, with 3-person teams and no duplicate cards across all three of your decks - interesting, but unlikely to be too popular here just from not having many 30-plus person events. And finally the "Relic" format where cards aren't rotated out and presumably only a few actually-balance-breaking cards are banned.
-----

Jye Nicolson
Veteran

Post by Jye Nicolson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm

As a Molog player who is all surge objectives all the time, I think Championship format actively stopping me from playing as I normally do is an excellent idea and will help the game.

I think even for casual play I'll make my "main" deck fit Chamionship, and then use the leftover cards to give fluffier fun decks enough teeth to be interesting.

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Yeah, same. Even in casual play, there's a couple few S1 cards that you see all. the. time. (I'm looking at you with a serious face, Ready for Action) and putting a deck together without some of those standbys actually takes some thought.

For the longest time I'd actually had a deck ready for every warband, but just for kicks last week I broke them all down and just put decks together for one "magic" warband (Zarbag) and one "aggro" warband (Magore), using the full S3 restrictions, and being able to do some actual thoughtful deck-building instead of just using whatever wasn't already in some other deck was pretty interesting - more thought than I'd put into putting a deck together for a while. I mean, I'm pretty sure my decks are still garbage, but at least now they're intentional garbage.
-----

The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds

Post by The Other Dave » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:12 am

And the warband focus for the ghouls: https://www.warhammer-community.com/201 ... ge-post-4/

Looks... interesting, in a completely sincere way. You have a very powerful leader with a semi-random resurrection mechanic for his minions that goes off automatically every turn, your standard three rather bad low-wound soft-hitting minions and a couple tougher ghouls, many of whom have interesting and synergistic special abilities, and just for good measure, bats! All topped off with a slightly tricky inspire mechanic that encourages the enemy to get up in your grill where you can (and indeed, must to inspire) swamp them with ghouls.

Man, I need to get painting so I can justify buying more warbands...
-----

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy - ウォーハンマー”