Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Put your hobby and modelling logs in here.

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby Lovejoy on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Thanks ToD, I really enjoyed this game. Thanks for bringing it and for preparing the models so lovingly! The initial card turning mechanic for the tunnels reminded me of Chainsaw Warrior, and the hand drawn, home spun feel board design is very of its time- in the best sense of the meaning. Rules were not something we'd see today, thinking particularly of the myriad charts of numbers to roll for close combat, shooting and armour, each dependent on fairly specific circumstances, etc. The kids wouldn't stand for it now, by jove! Anyway, it's a blast. I hope to have another crack at it on a larger scale with some of the other scenarios.
2018 Hobby Progress: A modicum of Middle Earth SBG
User avatar
Lovejoy
Legend
 
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 am
Location: Kiyosu City

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:16 pm

Glad you guys had fun!

Yeah, I do want to try a 900-point game some time (as that would allow a two-front attack, with all the wonderful complications that adds to the game), but it could be counted on to take a whole day. Definitely something for when that particular mood strikes, rather than any old Joshin day.

Also a 300-point game using just terminators, as I think that would stress the system in a good playtest-y kind of way.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
User avatar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Nagoya

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby YellowStreak on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:37 am

The Other Dave wrote:Glad you guys had fun!

Yeah, I do want to try a 900-point game some time (as that would allow a two-front attack, with all the wonderful complications that adds to the game), but it could be counted on to take a whole day. Definitely something for when that particular mood strikes, rather than any old Joshin day.

Also a 300-point game using just terminators, as I think that would stress the system in a good playtest-y kind of way.

I'd be up for that sometime! I really enjoyed the game last week!

In fact it has got my unfinished Space Hulk marines/'stealers/hybrids onto the painting table... :lol:
Minis painted 2016: 330
Vehicles painted 2016: 4
Minis purchased 2016: 336
Vehicles purchased 2016: 2
Minis sold 2016: 128
Prim's painty points: +2.5
User avatar
YellowStreak
Legend
 
Posts: 1193
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:57 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby The Other Dave on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:07 pm

ASC, I don't know how you quit you.

After another fun couple of games at the last Joshin, and a poke around on eBay, I ordered up enough sprues to make an Imperial Guard squad because why not? Being able to paint up a squad of Cadians and actually use them in a game without also having to buy 50 more Cadians plus a half dozen tanks is, in a nutshell, why I started this project in the first place. :D

So I got a Cadian shock troopers box, plus one sprue of heavy weapons so I can convert a missile launcher into a man-portable lascannon, which is the biggest difference between the first-edition Guard as they appear in ASC and modern Guard / Astra whatever-they're-called-now.

Rules-wise, I think all the games so far have mostly made me think that I ought to start the Nids off with more blips, and/or up their reinforcement rates slightly. I think I'll start with the former in my next couple of games and see what happens.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
User avatar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Nagoya

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby The Other Dave on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:05 pm

My guard arrived, and I assembled them. GW plastic kits, as always, are a joy to assemble.

Image

All 11 dudes - a choice of special weapons. The rules from WD way back when only have a grenade launcher, but they didn't actually make the grenade launcher in any way superior to being completely unarmed - all Guard carry frag grenades, with the same range, damage and chance to scatter as the grenade launcher, so the dude with the grenade launcher essentially has the same stats as a guardsman who left his lasgun at home. :? So I put together a flamer too and will bash some rules based on the terminator's heavy flamer, less powerful of course. Thinking of maybe adding rules for krak grenades to make the launcher not garbage?

Image

Image

Also did a really simple conversion to make a man-portable lascannon, since the RT-era guard have those things. I left the handle on the energy pack as it seemed like it would be a good way to haul the thing around when not firing.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
User avatar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Nagoya

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby job on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:31 am

Fantastic job on the Guardsman conversion. Nothing quite says badass like toting a gun bigger than you!
Models Painted, 2018
2 28mm
3 Robots
User avatar
job
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3147
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:29 pm
Location: Nagoya, Minato-ku

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby AndrewGPaul on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:15 pm

The Other Dave wrote:All 11 dudes - a choice of special weapons. The rules from WD way back when only have a grenade launcher, but they didn't actually make the grenade launcher in any way superior to being completely unarmed - all Guard carry frag grenades, with the same range, damage and chance to scatter as the grenade launcher, so the dude with the grenade launcher essentially has the same stats as a guardsman who left his lasgun at home. :? So I put together a flamer too and will bash some rules based on the terminator's heavy flamer, less powerful of course. Thinking of maybe adding rules for krak grenades to make the launcher not garbage?


The hooky PDF of the ASC rules I have makes no mention of the range of thrown grenades, although this BGG thread makes mention of an errata (not the one on page 39 of WD 132) stating it as 8 squares to the Grenade Launcher's 16. In addition, the Imperial Guard Grenade Launcher comes with Frag and Blind grenades, while troopers only have Frag grenades.
AndrewGPaul
Champion
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby The Other Dave on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:39 pm

AndrewGPaul wrote:
The Other Dave wrote:All 11 dudes - a choice of special weapons. The rules from WD way back when only have a grenade launcher, but they didn't actually make the grenade launcher in any way superior to being completely unarmed - all Guard carry frag grenades, with the same range, damage and chance to scatter as the grenade launcher, so the dude with the grenade launcher essentially has the same stats as a guardsman who left his lasgun at home. :? So I put together a flamer too and will bash some rules based on the terminator's heavy flamer, less powerful of course. Thinking of maybe adding rules for krak grenades to make the launcher not garbage?


The hooky PDF of the ASC rules I have makes no mention of the range of thrown grenades, although this BGG thread makes mention of an errata (not the one on page 39 of WD 132) stating it as 8 squares to the Grenade Launcher's 16. In addition, the Imperial Guard Grenade Launcher comes with Frag and Blind grenades, while troopers only have Frag grenades.

Yeah, but in actual practice firing at anything more than 6 or 7 squares away happens vanishingly infrequently, so I don't really think the range boost is worth much at all - it's much more than balanced out by the fact that, unlike thrown grenades, the grenade launcher can't bounce grenades around corners, a ginormous penalty to the utility of grenades. Blind grenades are a bonus, to be sure, as is the flexibility of being able to fire on snapshot and get a couple extra squares of move to set up the shot, but on the whole I feel a lot better about the weapon having added a modest krak grenade.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
User avatar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Nagoya

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby The Other Dave on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:43 pm

Image

Imperial Guard: Dead Men Walking

When two black and gold thunderhawk gunships descended on the final beleaguered position of the remnants of the Cadian 689th, the weary and terrified men were momentarily elated – reinforcements had arrived, to beat back the strange alien threat! But the dropships were empty, and the men were informed that they were being airlifted out as the last remaining viable Imperial military assets on the planet of Grendel V. Now it has become clear that the only way past the ships of the invading hive fleet is literally through them, and the only thing the guardsmen fear more than the prospect of boarding and attacking the hibernating ships of the Tyranids are the Angels of Death fighting at their sides.

Fortunately enough, the rules in WD132 allow for pure Guard forces, or combined Guard-Marine forces, the latter of which makes collecting nice and easy. This is my first addition, a tactical squad - I think I'll get a command section at some point, if only just for the heck of it, although that plus some close combat terminators will probably be all I could reasonably collect. I added a simple rule for the vox-caster and beefed up the grenade launcher a bit, but basically guard are ok as presented, I think - cheap, plentiful, and scared to death of termagants.
Miniatures painted in 2018:
28mm: 91 infantry, 6 vehicles, 2 buildings, assorted other terrain-y bits
Currently focusing on: 40K, Shadespire, Age of Sigmar?, Malifaux
My twitter is pretty hobby-heavy: vivanagoya
User avatar
The Other Dave
Destroyer of Worlds
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 am
Location: Nagoya

Re: Project: Advanced Space Crusade

Postby AndrewGPaul on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:38 pm

You missed a golden opportunity to have the squad leader looking at an Auspex nervously, but other than that, cracking! :)

Edit: There's always the command squad ...

And just in time for the 29th anniversary of the release of Aliens.
AndrewGPaul
Champion
 
Posts: 808
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:49 pm
Location: Glasgow, UK

PreviousNext

Return to Hobby Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron